Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 11:02 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I agree. It's not the fault of the homeowner - he or she may be naive or simply not be experienced with how the repair industry works. But the company SHOULD understand ethical business practices in their own industry, which includes giving quotes and not ripping people off.
I agree, but, given the circumstances, it sounds like the company is experienced in this type of ripoff and also with the lien collection process. If this is the case, they also likely have a track record with the BBB and other consumer affairs organizations.

It's time to have an attorney examine the work authorization document/s for any loopholes ... and advice on how to proceed. (As long as you still have the money, you retain 'some' negotiation leverage -- so, do not pay the bill until advised to do so!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 11:45 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onionshx View Post
Our HVAC was broken and a HVAC team came to fix it.
It turned out that the leakage refrigeration leak caused the problem and they installed a new refrigeration line. Before the technician started, we asked the estimated quote but they were unable to provide the estimation as they don't know how difficult it could be.
Once the work was done, we received bill for $5700 and $4000 is for labor only. It's a robbery, they did not give us the quote and eventually billed us that expensive? If we know that we won't spent $6000 buck for a fix of 10 years old HVAC, I can replace a new one with $2000 more! Is there any way I can argu?
OP, it would be really helpful if you could tell us how they ITEMIZED the parts and labor. How many hours went into that $4,000 for labor? Even if the labor charge is $100/hour -- which seems high -- that would be 40 hours of work or an entire WEEK of 8-hour days. Seems like you would have mentioned if they were there for an entire week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
He most likely signed a time material billing. I never do T&M billing anymore. If you can’t give a bid price I’m moving in to someone else. Lots of people give T&M then they milk that clock. F that.
My experiences have been the OPPOSITE -- I get ripped off with "bid price" billing. With T&M billing I can clearly see how many hours they are there at my house working (not that I hover -- I have generally had excellent T&M workers who do not pad their bills), and I usually buy the materials myself (at least the big items, e.g. a beam or a vanity or whatever). With "bid price" they overcharge by at least 50% and often 100% or more IN CASE there are any "problems" -- but again, my experience at least has been that there HAVEN'T been time-consuming problems. So no thanks.

In any case, I don't think this was T&M since the OP would have NOTICED if the workers had been there for a whole week. But the OP hasn't been back so we will likely never know.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:13 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
My experiences have been the OPPOSITE -- I get ripped off with "bid price" billing. With T&M billing I can clearly see...
I agree. The larger lesson is to have contractors lined up BEFORE they're needed.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:49 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I agree. The larger lesson is to have contractors lined up BEFORE they're needed.
This. Every homeowner needs at a minimum a plumber and HVAC people they can call who they trust not to rip them off.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
I agree. It's not the fault of the homeowner - he or she may be naive or simply not be experienced with how the repair industry works. But the company SHOULD understand ethical business practices in their own industry, which includes giving quotes and not ripping people off.
Sorry but being naive or inexperienced doesn’t mean much. Yes the company SHOULD have ethical business practices but a lot of them don’t.

That being said, wouldn’t you think by accepting a offer to do work without getting a actual price is like handing a signed blank check to a person. I mean at some point didn’t op say gee I wonder what this is gonna cost. Or did he assume eh it’s gonna be a couple of hundred bucks.

Sorry but with all the damn information, the expose tv shows and the news of companies screwing people there is no excuse to be naive anymore. Even if you lightly peruse CD you will see plenty of “don't do that” posts

I have a handyman, plumber, electrician, tile guy that can step in. As far as AC I have a few guys at work who will step in. Otherwise I’ll take bids and I’ll look everything over.
Anyone giving me a “we can’t bid this job” basically gets a good bye wave

Old 03-31-2019, 02:40 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
I'd double check to make sure it isn't a typo since $400 seems more believable

Old 03-31-2019, 04:05 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Unless I missed it there has been no explanation of what an "HVAC team" consists of. How many workers were there and how long were they there?

Old 03-31-2019, 07:36 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
How did HE mess up? You could just as easily say the HVAC people messed up for not getting anything in writing. They are both in the same boat. The job is done, and neither one knows what is owed.
What do you mean, "neither one knows what is owed"? The OP got a bill when the job was completed. The company knows what is owed. The OP is looking to dispute the bill.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:55 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Sorry but being naive or inexperienced doesn’t mean much. Yes the company SHOULD have ethical business practices but a lot of them don’t.

That being said, wouldn’t you think by accepting a offer to do work without getting a actual price is like handing a signed blank check to a person. I mean at some point didn’t op say gee I wonder what this is gonna cost. Or did he assume eh it’s gonna be a couple of hundred bucks.

Sorry but with all the damn information, the expose tv shows and the news of companies screwing people there is no excuse to be naive anymore. Even if you lightly peruse CD you will see plenty of “don't do that” posts

I have a handyman, plumber, electrician, tile guy that can step in. As far as AC I have a few guys at work who will step in. Otherwise I’ll take bids and I’ll look everything over.
Anyone giving me a “we can’t bid this job” basically gets a good bye wave
Yes. I agree. But, clearly by your screen name, you are in the industry so you may be a little biased.

In my profession, I don't expect people to know the ins-and-outs of the livestock transportation industry, and that's why I'm the expert that is there to inform them. That's why experts exist - so lay people have someone to turn to for help and information.

We don't know the OP's situation. Myself, for example, I would like to think that I know enough about this stuff to get a quote. But I live in a tiny little town, so one quote may be all that I could get, and I personally would have no idea if that quote is reasonable or not in my area, be cause I'm NOT an expert in this industry - and I don't really have the time or interest in becoming an expert in the home repair industry.

My point is that the OP may be to blame for being naive, but the person he hired is much MORE to blame for ripping the OP off, because he clearly did it knowingly.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:13 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
Yes. I agree. But, clearly by your screen name, you are in the industry so you may be a little biased.

In my profession, I don't expect people to know the ins-and-outs of the livestock transportation industry, and that's why I'm the expert that is there to inform them. That's why experts exist - so lay people have someone to turn to for help and information.

We don't know the OP's situation. Myself, for example, I would like to think that I know enough about this stuff to get a quote. But I live in a tiny little town, so one quote may be all that I could get, and I personally would have no idea if that quote is reasonable or not in my area, be cause I'm NOT an expert in this industry - and I don't really have the time or interest in becoming an expert in the home repair industry.

My point is that the OP may be to blame for being naive, but the person he hired is much MORE to blame for ripping the OP off, because he clearly did it knowingly.
Especially when you consider that it's a 10 year old furnace... you'd think they would say the cost isn't worth the fix and they would be better off buying new... Blame the repair company, not the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House