Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 07:48 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times

Advertisements

The wife and I are pretty set on having two sinks. We fight over 1 sink with very little countertop space now. An additional sink AND A LOT more countertop space is a win-win for both of us. It's also the only bath on the main floor with 3 bedrooms. It will be very helpful to have two sinks for the kids to brush their teeth in before bed. It will also be helpful for her and I as well in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 03:07 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
I could never understand why anyone would want a pedestal sink. The vanity is worth it just for the storage. Be sure to get one with drawers, that saves having to get down on all fours to find things.

Single handle faucets are much better also.

We replaced the toilets in our bathrooms with ADA height ones.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:26 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I could never understand why anyone would want a pedestal sink. The vanity is worth it just for the storage. Be sure to get one with drawers, that saves having to get down on all fours to find things.

Single handle faucets are much better also.

We replaced the toilets in our bathrooms with ADA height ones.
You questioning aesthetics, decorating and historical architecture regarding pedestal sinks, eight inch spread faucet sets and the lack of storage and drawers.

It has Zero to do with Functionality and many people care more about appearances.

I favor the old architectural adage, Form follows Function.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
The wife and I are pretty set on having two sinks. We fight over 1 sink with very little countertop space now. An additional sink AND A LOT more countertop space is a win-win for both of us. It's also the only bath on the main floor with 3 bedrooms. It will be very helpful to have two sinks for the kids to brush their teeth in before bed. It will also be helpful for her and I as well in the morning.
I agree, having two sinks is definitely a very practical feature!

Old 04-08-2019, 06:29 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Wife and I recently bought a house and are doing some remodeling projects. One of the projects I was debating on tackling myself was to split the single pedestal sink into a double vanity.

I enjoy this kind of DIY stuff but have never dealt with plumbing to this degree. Does anyone have any insight into whether or not you think I should even consider this? If you think it's do-able, do you have any tips?

Here is our bathroom. The rolling vanity next to the sink is not fixed to anything. The old owners took that with them so there is lots of space for 60" or larger vanity.
Actually, a 60" vanity does not allow for a lot of countertop space. A standard top for a 60" vanity is 61" long. The common size for the bowl, at least in our area, is 21" wide. take the 61" top, subtract out 42" for the bowls and you have 19" left for flat countertop. Take that 19" and divide it into 3 equal parts so you have some on each side of the bowls AND between them and you have roughly 6-3/8" in each space. You can gain a little if you drop down to 19" bowls, but those are generally reserved for smaller vanities in smaller bathrooms. Before you make your final decision, take some masking tape and cardboard cutouts and lay out the space you have on a table or kitchen counter and take a careful look at it.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:43 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Actually, a 60" vanity does not allow for a lot of countertop space. A standard top for a 60" vanity is 61" long. The common size for the bowl, at least in our area, is 21" wide. take the 61" top, subtract out 42" for the bowls and you have 19" left for flat countertop. Take that 19" and divide it into 3 equal parts so you have some on each side of the bowls AND between them and you have roughly 6-3/8" in each space. You can gain a little if you drop down to 19" bowls, but those are generally reserved for smaller vanities in smaller bathrooms. Before you make your final decision, take some masking tape and cardboard cutouts and lay out the space you have on a table or kitchen counter and take a careful look at it.
We already have it selected. Here is the vanity.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Dec...n-60/300092020

We've seen it in person and it's way more space than we have in our current 1 bedroom condo.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:42 PM

724 posts, read 529,445 times
Shouldn't be too tough to get that plumbed in - although it's a little hard to tell from your original pic where the drain point is.

Given the drawers on that, I'd probably opt to have a plumber come in and put in a second set of cutoff valves for the other sink. That way you don't have some hella long hoses running to one sink and potentially being slightly abraded over time by the drawers and rupturing or getting pinched.

If you can (not sure of the construction on that vanity) you can convert that false drawer front to a flip out for additional small storage too.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:47 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
You questioning aesthetics, decorating and historical architecture regarding pedestal sinks, eight inch spread faucet sets and the lack of storage and drawers.

It has Zero to do with Functionality and many people care more about appearances.

I favor the old architectural adage, Form follows Function.
Storage is a function, an important one.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Storage is a function, an important one.
That was obviously my point...❗️
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House