Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 08:43 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltered View Post
I dont know what WYSIWYG means. I havent done anything but reply that I know of but i saw that too and not sure what I did to show code
It means "what you see is what you get".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 01:23 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Sheltered, not sure where you are, so dont know your col ( cost of living) compared to mine.

I hsve a friend who is an electrician, but to run one extra outlet per room 4 rooms, and run 4 outlets to 1 room, and two outside outlets, and a dedicated new dryer outlet in the kitchen to move the laundry up to the kitchen, and installing two new ceiling/fan/lights into existing sockets was $1k plus we paid for the parts ( about $500), and he gave us a huge discount on labor. So we paid $1500.

I also paid $1300 to install new laundry water hookups in the kitchen to a full price plumber.

So no, i dont think the electrician ripped you off.

The trades are not cheap, cant be outsourced to another country or roboticized.

Youre done with it. Be glad you got it done at all. Trades are hard to get in a timely manner.

Also, WYSIWYG is an old old computer term for "What You See Is What You Get"

Old 04-10-2019, 07:37 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Sheltered, not sure where you are, so dont know your col ( cost of living) compared to mine.

I hsve a friend who is an electrician, but to run one extra outlet per room 4 rooms, and run 4 outlets to 1 room, and two outside outlets, and a dedicated new dryer outlet in the kitchen to move the laundry up to the kitchen, and installing two new ceiling/fan/lights into existing sockets was $1k plus we paid for the parts ( about $500), and he gave us a huge discount on labor. So we paid $1500.
I do my own electrical work in my own house (yes, permitted and inspected), so I know what that job might entail and what a tradesman would have to know to do well, which includes knowing how to deal with all kinds of hidden facets of the house that you've never seen and don't even realize exist.

I think you got off cheap with all that work. Depending on how your house is built, that could be a massively intricate and difficult job.

As for the OP, the electrician should have cleaned up behind himself. Otherwise, the deal was fine.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:36 PM

16 posts, read 13,853 times
Thanks thats the input I was looking for. I'm still mixed as 2 outlets werent checked and I either have to have him come back or do it myself.

I actually helped my electrician friend rewire my entire house 11 years ago and our family has a solar company in another state so Im pretty versed on material cost.

I made a mistake nt getting competing bids or maybe I should have asked how many hours that included or it was just a gamble. Everything was easily accessible and clean thanks to me so I made sure to try set up for him.

The guy still made upwards of $200/hr and couldnt be bothered to clean up or test a couple outlets so still crap. For that kind of money I would expect at least that. Its over now, I will just gfci the other ungrounded that was supposed to be fixed, and clip the other outlet that I was told was dead. Thats about 30% of the $360 I paid to have that stuff grounded.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:41 PM

I think I will do that going forward or continue to audition people. Its a building boom here so noone wants to do small stuff or do anything that actually requires hard work. I guess they must be in serious demand.

I was stoked to get my plumber and keep him in the rolodex, Roofers were great, The door guys great, so maybe the electrician just didnt live up to them.

I make a good bit of money doing what I do so Im not against anyone making loot. I sold a house recently where I paid $300 to have all of the windows done. Seemed ok, The guy did it in 1.5 hours with another guy just handing him stuff. I was blown away but it was a good job and I needed it quick. I didnt throw a fit but I nitpicked another 20 mins and had perfect windows and he made crazy money. After that I know what to pay for the next one. I tried mimicking him at my new house and I still cant get the damn windows anywhere close.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:43 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Actually $200 an hour is not out of line. Remember you are not paying just for on sight labor, but you are paying a share towards his business operating expenses, his work vehicle, his work space/office, his phone bill, his advertising, and multiple other expenses. His work rate, has to cover a share of his other expenses. That has to be paid for any electrical contractor to do your work.

As others have tried to tell you, $200 an hour is not out of line.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:54 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltered View Post
I hired an electrician via recommend from someone who has used him and that person has done quite a bit of work for us. I tried getting more bids but no call backs or responses and wanted the work done, so I figured Id go with the craftsman recommended guy. I know its a crapshoot and I usually get multiple bids. Just had plumbing work done by another and first bid was 13k without any new stuff, next bid was $6200. The work was completed and I feel ok becasue the scale of the work was pretty large and took a few days.

Im just feeling really stupid right now. I did get an estimate and online stuff looked middle of the road but< i will tell you about it and lets see from some of the electricians if I got the shaft perhaps.

About 10 hours total, I paid for the permits. 50a circuit to jbox other side of house about 30ft. My box is 200a service and newer but its a big house with lots of stuff in it so it has a bar between a bunch of breakers. Also we just bought the house.

That was $750, i know wires not cheap and I expected an outlet as it was for a car charger. After researching/learning. I decided to maybe use it for a hot tub later.

We moved w/d out f the basement to the first floor "mudroom" so another 30a new from the box, 40 ft. Also a dedicated 20a for washer, same distance. All of this is easily accessible btw in an 8ft basement out to a clean crawlspace to the mudroom. The dedicated 20a was $420 ad dryer was $540. so those two side by side were $960.

Next was grounding a bunch of outlets in a room $370. It ended up being one outlet at the beginning and an easy new romex to that outlet, accessable too. Essentially maybe 2 hours, 1 piece of yellow romex.

Another was a gfci on the front porch for power tools/whatever else. No outdoor plugs in front and extension cords out the window suck.

The last thing was an undersink dedicated for instahot and disposal. I guess i expected flushmount but it was conduit and metal box. Not a big deal, just swapping sinks maybe and cleaner. Maybe that was too much to expect and thats fine.

Ok so w permit it was almost $3200. I did get the estimate but assumed some sort of padding but not $200/hr.

I think what chapped my ass was I cleaned the ceiling out in the basement, being anal and trying to be cool and he didnt clean **** up. A little broom but the ceiling is saw dust from drilling holes and the floors are terrible and even some debris wire pieces, etc. laying on the ground.

I know I agreed to this but I really figured more than 10 hours. I dont drink or anything but still dont wake up early. i work from home so work alot and whenever so getting up for 9am appt I dont like but I feel like I need to be accommodating. I think I was friendly, I know you dont get up their ass but I did have to ask some q's due to how vague the work estimate was.

Maybe its not as bad as I think but adding up retail costs which his were probably cheaper, it feels like he could have included permit cost or at least cleaned up or even accept cc. I didnt say anything because I couldnt really quantify. I just wanted it done.

If a job is overestimated by a trade pro and is much easier. Whats do you do? Do you split the difference? Take it and think "yeah , I made so much on that fool". I know there are shisters and I screwed up by needing it done quick. The plumbing was twice as much but really happy with that job. I guess im fine with the work but zero communication. Maybe im just sad because I just spent 10k after buying a house and I feel like hanging myself occasionally with the whole last few months. I wont but serious **** feelings that go with long move/business being down due to move. A lot of stress is all.

So, anyone chime in on whether I got the shaft? Did I do fine? If you did that in 10 hours, would you have done anything different. Ive paid craftsmen before and respect those that can do more than I. I like building and whatenot but no time or experience in some cases.

I must add one thing in his favor kinda. He was waiting for inspector so pulled a few obsolete items off basement ceiling, fan can, switch. One more ungrounded plug that was 6ft away and accessable.

Maybe IM being a baby but this one doesnt sit well but its too late and I guess there is nothing to do but more scrutiny and dont trust others becasue someone else uses them.

Thanks if you respond.
Seems you owe the electrician a restaurant gift card.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:33 PM

Get out of here. This guy is a one man operation and thats a troll response. He didnt finish the job completely and didnt clean up after himself.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:38 PM

Yes it is out of line for a one man operation with a standard pickup truck. Id be paying a standard even if somewhat high wage if I had any patience. Im not cheap and have left a few things open but, I wont do that anymore. I'll be more patient and scrutinizing on who I hire. On top of that, there were clearly no people skills. I gave the benefit of the doubt, which i think most electricians dont want you breathing down their neck or penalizing them for being odd.

After paying that much, I'm fixing 2 things he didnt finish and spending a bit of time on cleanup. Its not the first person Ive ever hired for a job or as a business. AI guess my ethical and quality standards are much higher than others and thats probably why my business does so well with no solicitation.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:43 PM

I guarantee he doesnt charge $200 an hour. No internet presence, no reviews. Im pretty sure hes a new construction electrician. My gripe is with myself being stupid. I make a lot fo good business decisons and apparently im too hard n myslef when I dont makea great one. That via my wife. Like anyone here, im tired and money watsed means mre hours or hours spent after the job. My time is worth a good bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House