Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 08:43 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,195 times

Advertisements

Let me help you. Man that was terrible, what a crook! How could he think he was worth $200/hour? Do you feel better now?

Why even post asking for an opinion if you clearly already have your mind made up. Multiple posters have told you that rate is not out of line and/or you seemed to have received a fair deal and you argue against each one.

You negotiated a price for a job, you got a job done. Next time I would recommend you negotiate to pay per hour because you seem to feel slighted when you pay per hour rate you feel is unreasonable. Next time, get more quotes. My guess is they won't be any cheaper.

You said yourself you tried to get multiple quotes and were not receiving responses. You're on the wrong end of the supply/demand equation. Hard to negotiate when you don't have many options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 08:51 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltered View Post
I already said I agreed to the price but still dont feel good about paying any electrician $200/hr no matter how good. I wasnt being rude and took responsibility for the whole thing. The materials werent $1000 so it was more than 200/hr.
So what? He did what he promised.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:58 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Let me help you. Man that was terrible, what a crook! How could he think he was worth $200/hour? Do you feel better now?

Why even post asking for an opinion if you clearly already have your mind made up. Multiple posters have told you that rate is not out of line and/or you seemed to have received a fair deal and you argue against each one.

You negotiated a price for a job, you got a job done. Next time I would recommend you negotiate to pay per hour because you seem to feel slighted when you pay per hour rate you feel is unreasonable. Next time, get more quotes. My guess is they won't be any cheaper.

You said yourself you tried to get multiple quotes and were not receiving responses. You're on the wrong end of the supply/demand equation. Hard to negotiate when you don't have many options.
I was just ready to type this exact same thing when I read this. Why bother asking for thoughts and opinions on this if you already have your mind made up and won’t even listen to anything that is contrary to your thoughts.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:09 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
Quote:
I dont know what WYSIWYG means. I havent done anything but reply that I know of but i saw that too and not sure what I did to show code

I know someone already answered you, but I would wish to add:
"What You See Is What You Get." it is a coders term for someone who can't write basic code, and relies on a WYSIWYG software system to write it in for you, with your basic input.
It's fine if you use some software from a website to "write" in you initial remarks, all of us old timers don't read/do code.

Guys, I do agree with his original complaint. I get the charge, and have no argument with that. I know a little basic electric, but when I am doing something of this scale, I want a seasoned Electrician touching those wires. OP, he earned his money, but I get the complaint about being a slob.

He should have brought in a guy for a measley 15.00 an hour, to clean up behind him. What's it going to cost him, 30.00 max? I've had work done in my house, and I despise when they do not have enough respect to pick up after themselves. I think that is what his original argument was. Just clean up your own mess...

I think why you have comments that do not agree, is the verocity of electric is terrifying. Like I already mentioned, when I am going above hanging a fan, I will pay for the professional, with a quote, of course.

*OP, if you are trying to make the argument that you feel he did not earn the money versus "time spent," then I must disagree. He sounds like a man who knows electric inside and out. You will have no shorts, your house will not burn down...that, to me; would be of the most import. I will gladly pay for premium work, and often find people who seek out the cheapest alternative, to be in the biggest pickle in the end. Look at the big picture.

Last edited by TerraDown; 04-10-2019 at 09:53 PM..

Old 04-10-2019, 09:28 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,352 times
Quote:
I hired an electrician via recommend from someone who has used him and that person has done quite a bit of work for us. I tried getting more bids but no call backs or responses and wanted the work done, so I figured Id go with the craftsman recommended guy. I know its a crapshoot and I usually get multiple bids. Just had plumbing work done by another and first bid was 13k without any new stuff, next bid was $6200. The work was completed and I feel ok becasue the scale of the work was pretty large and took a few days.

Im just feeling really stupid right now. I did get an estimate and online stuff looked middle of the road but< i will tell you about it and lets see from some of the electricians if I got the shaft perhaps.

About 10 hours total, I paid for the permits. 50a circuit to jbox other side of house about 30ft. My box is 200a service and newer but its a big house with lots of stuff in it so it has a bar between a bunch of breakers. Also we just bought the house.

That was $750, i know wires not cheap and I expected an outlet as it was for a car charger. After researching/learning. I decided to maybe use it for a hot tub later.

We moved w/d out f the basement to the first floor "mudroom" so another 30a new from the box, 40 ft. Also a dedicated 20a for washer, same distance. All of this is easily accessible btw in an 8ft basement out to a clean crawlspace to the mudroom. The dedicated 20a was $420 ad dryer was $540. so those two side by side were $960.

Next was grounding a bunch of outlets in a room $370. It ended up being one outlet at the beginning and an easy new romex to that outlet, accessable too. Essentially maybe 2 hours, 1 piece of yellow romex.

Another was a gfci on the front porch for power tools/whatever else. No outdoor plugs in front and extension cords out the window suck.

The last thing was an undersink dedicated for instahot and disposal. I guess i expected flushmount but it was conduit and metal box. Not a big deal, just swapping sinks maybe and cleaner. Maybe that was too much to expect and thats fine.

Ok so w permit it was almost $3200. I did get the estimate but assumed some sort of padding but not $200/hr.

I think what chapped my ass was I cleaned the ceiling out in the basement, being anal and trying to be cool and he didnt clean **** up. A little broom but the ceiling is saw dust from drilling holes and the floors are terrible and even some debris wire pieces, etc. laying on the ground.

I know I agreed to this but I really figured more than 10 hours. I dont drink or anything but still dont wake up early. i work from home so work alot and whenever so getting up for 9am appt I dont like but I feel like I need to be accommodating. I think I was friendly, I know you dont get up their ass but I did have to ask some q's due to how vague the work estimate was.

Maybe its not as bad as I think but adding up retail costs which his were probably cheaper, it feels like he could have included permit cost or at least cleaned up or even accept cc. I didnt say anything because I couldnt really quantify. I just wanted it done.

If a job is overestimated by a trade pro and is much easier. Whats do you do? Do you split the difference? Take it and think "yeah , I made so much on that fool". I know there are shisters and I screwed up by needing it done quick. The plumbing was twice as much but really happy with that job. I guess im fine with the work but zero communication. Maybe im just sad because I just spent 10k after buying a house and I feel like hanging myself occasionally with the whole last few months. I wont but serious **** feelings that go with long move/business being down due to move. A lot of stress is all.

So, anyone chime in on whether I got the shaft? Did I do fine? If you did that in 10 hours, would you have done anything different. Ive paid craftsmen before and respect those that can do more than I. I like building and whatenot but no time or experience in some cases.

I must add one thing in his favor kinda. He was waiting for inspector so pulled a few obsolete items off basement ceiling, fan can, switch. One more ungrounded plug that was 6ft away and accessable.

Maybe IM being a baby but this one doesnt sit well but its too late and I guess there is nothing to do but more scrutiny and dont trust others becasue someone else uses them.

Thanks if you respond.

You got a deal. He did a Hell of a lot of work for that money, and the time spent is not the barometer, it is how well he did it and how much he did.

I would have tipped the guy.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:17 PM

16 posts, read 13,863 times
Thanks man real constructive and nice know it all absolutist post. I'll go back to what I do best and remember lesson 2,dont ask opinions of strangers because 99% of humans suck. I thought I was on a home forum but really no more to say as I actually dont enjoy fighting with people who give smart as answers. Also why i quit forums in my own trade years ago and pretty much telling anyone anything in general. A moment of frustration got the best of me.

Yep the guy was a lazy skeeze who didnt finish all of the jobs he was paid to do.Glad I treat my clients better. IM off, not about giving everyone my opinion anymore like so many others who do this full time.

You said yourself you tried to get multiple quotes and were not receiving responses. You're on the wrong end of the supply/demand equation. Hard to negotiate when you don't have many options.[/quote]

Old 04-11-2019, 09:25 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
You said you received an estimate from him. How much did he estimate and how long did he estimate it would take?

I try to think of things as by the job and not by the hour...for all you got done, $3,000 isn't crazy. Would you feel better if he had worked more leisurely and took 20 hours? Did he have an assistant with him?

I know I'd rather they get in and get out as fast as they can so I can move on with my day.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 1,859 times
Recently, I also hired an electrician to work, I had to write him a large check, but all the work was done perfectly.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:31 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
You got a deal. He did a Hell of a lot of work for that money, and the time spent is not the barometer, it is how well he did it and how much he did.

I would have tipped the guy.
I wouldn’t have tipped him but he’s a guy I would call again.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:40 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
ALways get multiple quotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House