Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 12:34 PM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltered View Post
I guarantee he doesnt charge $200 an hour. No internet presence, no reviews. Im pretty sure hes a new construction electrician. My gripe is with myself being stupid. I make a lot fo good business decisons and apparently im too hard n myslef when I dont makea great one. That via my wife. Like anyone here, im tired and money watsed means mre hours or hours spent after the job. My time is worth a good bit.
No internet presence and a pick up is deffinately a major red flag when it comes to trades
3k including permits and you expect Merry Maids being thrown in? Have your family send one of their electricians next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 04:32 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Shyt I just got a quote for two outlets-One inside and one outside for $1200 for 6 hours of work. I said no way

Old 10-16-2020, 05:21 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,959,249 times
What do I think? Trade school was a great idea.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:15 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shestuds View Post
Recently, I also hired an electrician to work, I had to write him a large check, but all the work was done perfectly.
Me too. Three large checks, because there was so much needing to be done it took three estimates and three visits. The house was "homemade" wired, a real fire trap, with a Federal box besides.

Not only did he have to find and undo all the illegal unsafe wiring (some of it they used lamp wire for crying out loud) he also had to find and undo the rigged wiring illegally and unsafely in the shed.

There was only one or two outlets per room, no overhead lights (except florescent in the kitchen).,no light switches, and I needed the dedicated 220 outlet for my electric stove (I had the gas disconnected), installing a baseboard heater in the bathroom....oh yes he got many thousands of my dollars, including the $35 permit, and I don't begrudge a penny of it because I am in a safely wired well lighted house now.

I provided the overhead light fixtures, but he went above and beyond, proving LED bulbs, adding an outlet in the basement, and replacing the outside security lights (wired with indoor wire) all above and beyond what was on the estimates.

Someday I'll call him back and have him wire the shed for power, legally and safely.

By the way, before I bought the house I did have a different electrician give me an estimate, that only included replacing the Federal box and disconnecting the shed. His estimate, just for those two things, was $1,400 higher than the guy who ultimately did the work.

It took weeks of phone calls and e mails before the first guy finally provided the estimate making me need to file an extension on my offer. The electrician who actually did the work for me responded to every phone call and every e mail in a timely manner. He was respectful and explained things, and ..well he did leave a bit of sawdust here and there but not too much mess, his assistant was pretty good with a whisk broom.

I'd say the OP got a pretty good deal, even for a year ago. Trying to break down such specialty work into dollars per hour, where your life actually depends on him doing his job right, seems an odd, begrudging even, way to look at things.

Last edited by catsmom21; 10-17-2020 at 06:23 PM..

Old 10-18-2020, 04:57 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
No internet presence and a pick up is deffinately a major red flag when it comes to trades
3k including permits and you expect Merry Maids being thrown in? Have your family send one of their electricians next time.
Lots of well established contractors don't even mess with the internet at all they have repeat clients that they aren't concerned with being online. The shortage or tradesman has the ball in the contractors court lots of contractors booked out for many months or even a year and turning down work.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:01 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
ALways get multiple quotes.
Detailed quotes with full scope of work cost money but estimates are always free. You want an estimate over the phone site unseen sure... $500-$15,000

Old 10-18-2020, 07:45 AM

3,069 posts, read 2,398,593 times
The beef seems to be not the cost, but the fact that the electrician didn't take very long to do the work.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:21 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
The beef seems to be not the cost, but the fact that the electrician didn't take very long to do the work.

And that's why you hire a master at the trade.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:44 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Would you have rather hired someone who took longer because they didn’t know what they were doing, and paid them by the hour?

Old 10-18-2020, 02:14 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,610 times
There are lots of websites online where you can put in your zip and get several estimates or bids for your job. There are also sites like Home Advisor that will give you a good idea of a fair price.

For lessor jobs, go through Craig's List, because most of those guys are good at responding back and will give estimates based on the pictures you send. The down side to this, is dealing with flakes. You do have to weed through and find decent ones. When they come over, meeting them in person should be the deciding factor, and don't hire someone with no credentials, at least not for electrical work.

I always take pictures of the project and text them over. Pin him down for an estimate and none of this 'I'm not sure'. This should save you from the guy doubling the price later. It's my idea when these guys come over, the price is often based on what kind of house you have, and someone in a modest house will get a lower estimate. Paying through the nose because some stranger deems you can afford it, is not something you should have to do.

My spouse is a senior Electrical engineer and has been installing new lights and similar tasks for his parents since high school, so he can do electrical in his sleep. He's saved a boatload of money, by the DIY method. If you can't, then get that estimate up front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House