Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 05:47 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times

Advertisements

Gosh, wish I was at home and could look at the can. I have balcony railing out of wide boards and paint simply burns off no matter what I used, as balcony is facing west, so it gets all the sun.
I finally coated boards with Behr coating. it's not paint, it's very thick, rather hard to apply. Almost like sour cream. But it is indestructible. Elements simply don't get through to it. Not cracking, not bubbling. Solid. And it's specifically designed for decks. Or, you WILL repaint every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 06:59 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Gosh, wish I was at home and could look at the can. I have balcony railing out of wide boards and paint simply burns off no matter what I used, as balcony is facing west, so it gets all the sun.
I finally coated boards with Behr coating. it's not paint, it's very thick, rather hard to apply. Almost like sour cream. But it is indestructible. Elements simply don't get through to it. Not cracking, not bubbling. Solid. And it's specifically designed for decks. Or, you WILL repaint every year.

"Behr DeckOver" products have been a part of a class-action lawsuit...

Enough said.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:03 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
I applied Cabot DeckCorrect to this little deck outside the garage 2 years ago and so far it's held up perfectly. The wood looked badly aged from being directly under a roof with no gutter for almost 20 years (one of the first things I did after moving in was install a gutter here). This saved me from replacing the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting a Deck-img_0250.jpg  

Last edited by duke944; 04-18-2019 at 01:12 PM..

Old 04-18-2019, 02:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"Behr DeckOver" products have been a part of a class-action lawsuit...

Enough said.
I think that was simply because it claimed to be mildew resistant when it isn't. Just the fact there was a lawsuit does not tell you anything at all. It may be perfectly good deck paint, just not mildew resistant. r it could be something else.

Our porch deck is painted grey. That is what they did back when our house was made. Most of the porch decking is now PT. The deck paint goes on and holds up ok. We have to touch up some areas every 4-10 years.

One thing I thought was interesting is I have a 5 gallon bucket of deck paint that I have left out over the winter by mistake three times. However I stir it up after it thaws and it is fine. Goes on fine, holds up fine.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:37 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Behrs best exterior paint was rated number 1 by consumers reports for the last two years. It’s a lot less expensive than SW or BM and it’s excellent paint.

I’ve used it on my shed and would definitely use it again for the exterior columns on my house and several exterior doors. It’s really good paint...

Old 04-18-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I think that was simply because it claimed to be mildew resistant when it isn't. Just the fact there was a lawsuit does not tell you anything at all. It may be perfectly good deck paint, just not mildew resistant. r it could be something else.

Our porch deck is painted grey. That is what they did back when our house was made. Most of the porch decking is now PT. The deck paint goes on and holds up ok. We have to touch up some areas every 4-10 years.

One thing I thought was interesting is I have a 5 gallon bucket of deck paint that I have left out over the winter by mistake three times. However I stir it up after it thaws and it is fine. Goes on fine, holds up fine.

I don't know where you got "mildew" from- the CAL had nothing to do with mildew.

And I certainly would not call the DeckOver product "paint". It is applied like paint- but it's far from "paint".

Old 04-18-2019, 06:33 PM

43 posts, read 109,258 times
Appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to end up repainting the deck with a standard exterior pain with the understanding that I'll probably have to repaint every 1-2 years. After researching, the labor seems too much for me to do on my own and I got a quote of 1500 dollars just to strip the paint which is not an option right now. If only the previous owner would have stained in the first place! Attached is a picture of the deck, not an easy task especially with all those spindles!
Attached Thumbnails
Painting a Deck-20190414-141815-1-.jpg  

Old 04-18-2019, 09:59 PM

Yeah- you gotta helluva mess there!

Old 04-20-2019, 06:19 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
I had a similar problem on my upper deck. It turns out the previous owners did not install the PT properly. They put the boards too tight and I suspect did not wait long enough before treating it. When I went to replace some rotted boards I discovered that all the boards were soaked. They had used hardwood floor nails and installed it like a hardwood floor. The deck was installed in 2012 but looked like it was 20 or 30 years old. The lower deck is exhibiting similar problems with the pigmented stain peeling off in sheets. I would like to us composite but the upper is 16 x 22 and the lower is 18 x 28 so the cost is just not in my budget. I will eventually stain the new decking but will be sure to wait for it to properly dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House