Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2019, 09:33 AM

5,264 posts, read 3,128,081 times

Advertisements

Good morning! I recently purchased a coffee table off Amazon. The care instructions included stated to use furniture wax, not spray polish to maintain the surface.

This makes me wonder what else I should be using wax on. I also recently purchased a dining room table that came with no care instructions so I'm wondering how I should be treating that (thus far I've only used a damp cloth). It is not a high gloss polyurethane type coating.

Is there a rule of thumb on what products should be used on certain furniture?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 10:43 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,544,355 times
Consider most furniture today having a lacquer or poly finish- "sheen" can vary; so you can't use that as a determining factor.
With that in mind, most "would not" require wax. If you can date the furniture that would probably be a better determining factor. Wax was used as the protective layer before there was shellacs, lacquers, and polys.

As to your coffee table, do you know the type of wood? I find it unusual that they say to use "furniture wax".

Old 04-13-2019, 11:02 AM

12,586 posts, read 8,816,051 times
Some thoughts to keep in mind. Furniture polish often contains silicones. These can have two effects, depending on the surface. On natural wood they can soak into the wood and cause "fish eye" if you ever have it refinished because it's incompatible with most finishes. Otherwise they stay on the surface and build a microscopic film that actually attracts dust, meaning you have to dust more often than if you hadn't used the polish.

Good wax on the other hand doesn't cause either of these problems. They're not talking about using gobs and gobs of it. Just enough on the rag to pick up the dust clean the surface a bit. Putting down wax as a final finish (which is not it's strong suit) is a completely different job. I've used Johnson's paste wax, but prefer Briwax because it's a bit harder and less oily in the can.

On modern furniture there are so many possibilities for the finish, it's hard to tell. One easy way to tell shellac is to test a small hidden spot with alcohol. Shellac dissolves in alcohol. Typically used on antiques and restorations/reproductions. Very easy to use, but only medium protection. Polyurethane is really more of a small shop and homeowner finish. High end factory finishes are using vinyl's and catalyzed lacquer that most homeowners don't have access to.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:09 PM

5,264 posts, read 3,128,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

As to your coffee table, do you know the type of wood? I find it unusual that they say to use "furniture wax".
The coffee table is mango wood. Specifically, here is the table: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The dining room table is Indian Rose Wood. The table does not have the glossy shine but rather a dull shine (like some oil (?) was used on it). It looks similar to this: https://www.wickeremporium.ca/produc...d-dining-table

Old 04-13-2019, 08:30 PM

6,336 posts, read 4,055,545 times
If the info included with the table said to use furniture wax, then that’s your answer. The table has a stained wood finish that’s waxed so there is no clear coat sealer. Lemon oil would help to remove dirt and smudges and that wood should be treated a couple of times each year with a furniture wax or quality furniture oil like a walnut oil.

Most inexpensive furniture does not need to be treated since it’s top coated. Regardless, I would never use Pledge, on anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House