Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 06:12 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times

Advertisements

Pill bugs are harmless.

As noted above, there's probably a moisture problem, which you will want to fix for a variety of reasons.

Please do not fill your house with insecticide to kill harmless pillbugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 06:38 AM

70 posts, read 47,113 times
As others have mentioned, pillbugs. Use triazicide granules around the perimeter of the house and water them to dissolve.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:44 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The pictures show different species of crustacean, not true insects. Both are native detritivores, very common, and harmless. They can squeeze through tiny crevices such as under or around doors. There are multiple entry points in a typical house. They prefer moister soil...maybe there is a place on the outside of those rooms where too much soil or decomposing leaf litter has piled up against a foundation wall or structural wood. They will tend to seek out the cooler wetter areas.

Some information about them:

https://www.thespruce.com/controllin...owbugs-2656428
Yeah it might be a crustacean, but what does the species of the bug matter? Isn't finding the hole they are coming in more important than what species they are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Regarding the two rooms that you suspect, what is the flooring in those rooms? If it's tile or wood, there may be minute spaces between the floors and the baseboards through which small insects can get into the house.

They could also be entering through the switchplates and outlet covers.

You could just set off bug bombs in those rooms or throughout the house, which should take care of the problem.
The flooring is more concrete in one room and tile in the other. I've tried inspecting switchplates, outlet covers and vents but cannot find where they are getting in. Is there any way to locate the source by like thermographics to find their body heat, or something, so I know where they are coming from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Which one?
Not sure which one, as they all look kind of the same to me. When I look at them on the ground, they are too small to see close up like in the pictures, where they are magnified. But it looks something like that.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:55 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Yeah it might be a crustacean, but what does the species of the bug matter? Isn't finding the hole they are coming in more important than what species they are?

The flooring is more concrete in one room and tile in the other. I've tried inspecting switchplates, outlet covers and vents but cannot find where they are getting in. Is there any way to locate the source by like thermographics to find their body heat, or something, so I know where they are coming from?

Not sure which one, as they all look kind of the same to me. When I look at them on the ground, they are too small to see close up like in the pictures, where they are magnified. But it looks something like that.
The species matters because you need to understand what is attracting them to the rooms, how they move around, and what might repel them. What might work for spiders or ants may not work for isopods (which are what these are...a type of crustacean). Check around the outside of the house...they could come in under an exterior door someplace else in the house but end up being attracted to this room.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:06 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
...The flooring is more concrete in one room and tile in the other. I've tried inspecting switchplates, outlet covers and vents but cannot find where they are getting in. Is there any way to locate the source by like thermographics to find their body heat, or something, so I know where they are coming from?...

I figured your floors must be hard-surface. Concrete and tile are not 100% level. There must be minute spaces (maybe so tiny you cant even see them without a magnifying glass) between the floors and the baseboards and, most likely, that's where they're getting into the house.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:17 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
You CANNOT seal your house so that pillbugs (or any other small critter) can't get in, unless you make your home in a stainless steel vacuum vessel with all-metal seals.

The source of the pillbugs is something damp and something rotting. Find out where your moisture problem is, and eliminate it, and the pillbugs will go away. Believe me.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:26 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
Okay thanks. Well I cannot find out what would be attracting them cause the two rooms that they seem to be in when I find them, there doesn't seem to be anything wet and rotting. There is some storage, but it's dry. Their is laundry detergent soap, could that be it?

There is also some snacks in a pantry but they are up high and in closed bags with clips, and they don't go up there, and just stay on the floor. What about the detergent, since that's on the floor?

Old 04-15-2019, 03:44 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. Well I cannot find out what would be attracting them cause the two rooms that they seem to be in when I find them, there doesn't seem to be anything wet and rotting. There is some storage, but it's dry. Their is laundry detergent soap, could that be it?

There is also some snacks in a pantry but they are up high and in closed bags with clips, and they don't go up there, and just stay on the floor. What about the detergent, since that's on the floor?
Did you check around the foundation OUTSIDE the house?? If there's moist/wet/rotting wood, leaves, branches, or soil there, that's where they are breeding, NOT indoors. No, they won't chew their way into bags of food or detergent.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:53 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
OP - read this:
https://www.thespruce.com/controllin...owbugs-2656428
https://bugspray.com/catalog/products/page642.html

Hope it helps

BTW: There are a certain type of bug in my house for the past week about and the number is growing.
Try to estimate, how many of them did you see in your home?

Old 04-15-2019, 09:57 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Pillbugs are not really that small. You should be able to tell if that is what they are. If they are really too small to tell if they match the pictures, then they may be something else.

Why not take a picture of one and enlarge it and then you can see exactly what it is??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House