Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 02:00 PM

50,293 posts, read 23,893,601 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the Phoenix area, and I was planning on putting my somewhat small freezer in the garage. One neighbor said that was a terrible idea...that the heat of the garage in the summer would keep that running almost constantly, and burn it out quickly. Another neighbor said that would be no problem, they're built to withstand those types of conditions. So, who's right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 02:05 PM

14,360 posts, read 11,852,839 times
Do you want advice from the guy who has already lost a freezer full of meat because theirs died in the AZ heat, or would you like advice from those who haven't had that happen yet? I think that's who your choices are, in your post.

Regardless... Get a freezer alarm that will sound if it dies.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:06 PM

22,961 posts, read 18,266,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I just moved to the Phoenix area, and I was planning on putting my somewhat small freezer in the garage. One neighbor said that was a terrible idea...that the heat of the garage in the summer would keep that running almost constantly, and burn it out quickly. Another neighbor said that would be no problem, they're built to withstand those types of conditions. So, who's right?
Is your garage insulated or remotely climate-controlled like the rest of your house? If so, it's another room that happens to have a really really big door. The size and quality of the freezer probably matter too. I wonder if a larger freezer might have an easier time as there's more frozen mass to stabilize what the thermostat is monitoring.

Got curious, and found this. Might be helpful.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/garag...or-or-freezer/

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-10-2019 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-10-2019, 02:12 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,359,156 times
A freezer WILL run more in Phoenix than in Anchorage thanks to ambient temps, so you'll be spending more money on the power bill. Bot the longevity? I've had to give away my old freezer because it simply wouldn't die (ran it 2 years in Flagstaff when new, then several other states for another 20 years with the last being 7 years in Georgia, outside). You're not likely to "burn it out".

I'd keep it inside if possible, just for the cost savings on electricity... but if you're on solar/off grid maybe that's not a concern. Or if you don't have an option, then what does it matter?

Old 05-10-2019, 04:52 PM

22,601 posts, read 24,409,835 times
That heat, yes, that compressor is going to be doing quadruple-time.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:56 PM

516 posts, read 1,068,132 times
I think you may be surprised that it does not run as much as everyone expects, new refrigerators and freezers are much beter insulated than they used to be. Energy Star did something good for us. Put it out there and let it run, the freezer alarm mentioned is a good idea for any freezer

Old 05-10-2019, 08:22 PM

50,293 posts, read 23,893,601 times
It seems to me that my best solution is:

I have a large walk-in closet adjacent to the garage. I can hire an electrician to run a regular plug to the walk-in closet, thus eliminating the issue.

I guess that wouldn't be too expensive.

Thank you all for your time and answers.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:14 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,917,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The older freezers built more than 25 years ago used to last longer and withstand abuse from heat. Today, the new freezers are very cheaply-built, and you'll be lucky to get even 2-3 years use without breaking down now.

The new freezers made in China today are now recommended for indoor house use.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:20 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,917,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I've had to give away my old freezer because it simply wouldn't die (ran it 2 years in Flagstaff when new, then several other states for another 20 years with the last being 7 years in Georgia, outside).
What brand was it? Some vintage freezers lasted for 50-60 years trouble-free.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:32 PM

44,557 posts, read 61,304,789 times
I have a 35 year old freezer that's always been in the hot garage here in the Phoenix area. Never had a problem, doesn't do any constant running and the cost is minimal. Once a year I defrost it. These older freezers are probably better built than the new ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House