Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
We need to actually have our brain recognize that we are driving too close.

We need to know how to navigate our vehicles in reverse manually.

This is a bonus as far as I'm concerned, at least until all of these cars can park themselves. There was a young girl trying to pull into this choice parking spot in a parking garage. She gave up after a few tries and I backed right in. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 03:50 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is a bonus as far as I'm concerned, at least until all of these cars can park themselves. There was a young girl trying to pull into this choice parking spot in a parking garage. She gave up after a few tries and I backed right in. LOL
You can buy vehicles today that can parallel park and perpendicular park.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:13 PM

157 posts, read 93,062 times
I have to think that the vast majority of car accidents are due to human error and/or poor judgment, in one way or another. I very much welcome self-driving cars. I understand the sentiment that we need to retain the ability to stop, reverse, stay in lane, etc. But that's because we're only now just starting to phase these cars in. There's probably no easy way to make sure everyone maintains their personal responsiblity while also allowing more and more advancement in the autonomous car industry. But once we're there, and we can let go of human error completely, I'm excited to see how much safer car travel can become.

If only I could rid myself of the nagging concern of hackers wreaking havoc with our new, safe, computerized cars. But, it's happening regardless, so...I'm on board.

Ah, but the OP is about homes. We are a pretty techy family, but even so, we don't take advantage of a lot of the "smart" devices as well as we could. Wifi-enabled, controlled by our cell phones, yes, but we haven't yet taken the leap to remove household maintenance responsibilites from ourselves and place it with our appliances. (Again, though, our next fridge will definitely be one that adds items automatically to the grocery list and makes the purchase, and I will be ready!)

Old 05-21-2019, 11:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Wow - that is quite the fridge.

What brand/model is it? "Enquiring minds want to know."
It's a Samsung. I believe it's this one:
https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/aj...iABEgKCHfD_BwE

Now that I have it programmed and synced with my phone, I love it.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You can buy vehicles today that can parallel park and perpendicular park.
Right.

I have one of those. Now don't get me wrong - I do know how to do this myself (I lived in Europe and if you don't know how to parallel park over there you are screwed), but it's nice in theory for the car to be able to do it on it's own.

I haven't tried it yet though - LOL. I'm scared.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:14 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,157 times
What am I going to do with a refrigerator that's worth more than my car?

Old 05-21-2019, 09:26 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I have a smart TV that I can watch Hulu and Netflix on. Does that count?

I also have a Google Home that I received as a Christmas gift I think the year before last. I don’t have any of the stuff that is controlled by it, and honestly I haven’t even spoken to the thing in probably two months. It’s just something else to take up space and use an outlet.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:45 AM

I'm super excited because today we are having some Nest thingies installed - two thermostats, a doorbell, and a key pad access for the front door. I really love the idea of the doorbell - I love being able to see who is there and talk to them no matter whether I am home or not!

Next week we are getting the rest of the security system in place. We have one now but it's old and we're replacing it with Nest products.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:48 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
I think there's a difference between using technology to improve an existing product or process, and using technology to layer new uses or activities into an existing product. The latter is a much harder sell for consumers, because a lot of that stuff they don't care about.

We have a key pad lock, but that's about as advanced as a cordless phone. We have a smart speaker that mainly sets timers and tells my wife the temperature in the AM.

Refridgerators, Ovens, Coffeemakers, all are a bit gimmicky IMO.

The "smart cameras" are really just wireless security cameras. Ring Doorbell, etc, just use new technology to make an existing idea more appealing and marketable.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think there's a difference between using technology to improve an existing product or process, and using technology to layer new uses or activities into an existing product. The latter is a much harder sell for consumers, because a lot of that stuff they don't care about.

We have a key pad lock, but that's about as advanced as a cordless phone. We have a smart speaker that mainly sets timers and tells my wife the temperature in the AM.

Refridgerators, Ovens, Coffeemakers, all are a bit gimmicky IMO.

The "smart cameras" are really just wireless security cameras. Ring Doorbell, etc, just use new technology to make an existing idea more appealing and marketable.
I am basically improving my existing home, just keeping it up to date technologically in my opinion. I like being able to control things via my phone and wi-fi. That's not a "smart home," - it's just an up to date home in my opinion.

As for the refrigerator being gimmicky - I basically wanted a calendar on my fridge (check) - that syncs with my phone's calendar, and a rotating display of family photos, which I got. I consider Pandora and a shopping list to be pretty low tech and bennies, that's about it. But I really, really like the big calendar and the screen saver that rotates out over 200 photos. Oh and I also like that the weather shows up. Come to think of it, I also like the white board that I can write on with my finger for quick notes.

I'm sure at some point I'll access Google on that screen, or look up a recipe, but I will probably never ever "look inside my fridge" and I am not a big coupon person so "deals" don't really do anything for me.

Getting remote control thermostats, a remote doorbell, and a keypad installed as I type this! WOOHOO! We went with Nest and not Ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House