Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 03:29 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Better be safe than sorry.
I totally agree, but my point (since made by others) is that some people just think it's none of local government's damn business what they do on their property.

Can't help but smirk when they get bitten on the tail over such things. (Not the buyers, but this should properly be pushed back on the seller anyway.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 04:24 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
We just added on the screened porch of our dreams last year, with permits and a first class construction company. I am pretty sure the porch we replaced had no permits, but we didn't figure that out until we removed it. My husband was getting ready to fight to get the footings out and discovered they weren't attached to anything. It was a two year old house when we bought it, so we assumed it was part of the original build, but it would never have passed inspection with those footings, so...

OP, I would be concerned the seller cut some corners by not getting a permit. And that doesn't matter if it has been there for years or just added.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:45 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I love the house, the price was right. Or so i thought. It has a giant screen porch. Which was built without permits.

Either the seller will fix the issues or give me some cash back for repairs. I'm still trying to get a contractor for an estimate.

What does this mean as far as the permit goes? Does the person who does the repairs have to get a permit? Do I somehow 'report' this to the county? Or just leave it and have the next buyer deal with it. I don't even know if this would increase my taxes and the taxes are so low I'm not concerned about that. But I would like for this to be documented correctly.

What is wrong with people that they would just disregard this process? I get that people might think they are saving money. Wouldn't they prefer to have something built to code so they know it is SAFE? Why let some amateur contractor build something that large only to have it essentially devalue their home when it is time to sell?
I have posted on this subject be fore,I did a 14 X 40 addition without permit and the banks appraiser said I would have to get permit from building department.
I had to get a civil engineer for blue prints,footings,slab,structure and very strict state code,this was eight pages,electrician,even though no bath was in addition my drainfield and septic had to be approved since this was considered living space,very complicated,I was lucky only error was a GFCI,cost me $3,000 to get signed permit for closing.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:14 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Quote:
What is wrong with people that they would just disregard this process?

You understand that this is a false belief, right? Just because something is "permitted", doesn't mean that there weren't payoffs or someone looking the other way for a buddy. I've witnessed this first hand. Similarly, just because there were no permits doesn't mean that the structure wasn't built Past minimum code (and would have passed all inspections without issue). In short, a permit is simply a payment for a piece of paper, it has no bearing on the quality of work done.

For my last home, permits were simply a way of raping the property owners. I got a couple and never had a "final walk-through". Heck, come to think of it I never had ANYONE come and see anything, ever. Skipped the permit once (for a roof, never heard of anyone needing a permit for a roof before till the cops showed up and shut the roofers down), and the initial LEO involvement was the only time any city employee was on site. Damn permits didn't even have a space for "roof" as an option to check.

I did the permits only because I know that insurance will deny claims if they find unpermitted improvements. I had a lot of money in the homes, money I was unwilling to lose if there were a "total loss" scenario, so the $$$ permits and massive waste of time (oh, yeah.. building and permit office was open 4 hours each week, 2 on Tuesday and 2 on Thursday, never at the same time), were important only for the one reason.

I understand, very well, why people shrug and just say 'fvk it'. I would have if my dad hadn't been in insurance and shared stories of people who lost everything because of additions done without permits. Even when the people didn't do the changes, they Bought the structure with the changes. Insurance doesn't care, they will find any reason to not pay out.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:57 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I totally agree, but my point (since made by others) is that some people just think it's none of local government's damn business what they do on their property.

Can't help but smirk when they get bitten on the tail over such things. (Not the buyers, but this should properly be pushed back on the seller anyway.)
Problem is, any unpermitted item found belongs to the current owner. I suppose it would then be up to the current owner to sue the previous owner for the issue. However, if the previous owner admitted he had no permits and buyer decided to buy anyway....

I suppose then there would be recourse with anyone regarded as being in a professional and advisory capacity...say, a realtor perhaps.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:31 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Problem is, any unpermitted item found belongs to the current owner. I suppose it would then be up to the current owner to sue the previous owner for the issue.
It's not something that should get through a purchase process. Between the realtor and the title validation, someone should be able to detect major additions or changes and get them corrected/adjusted before close of escrow.

But yes, it's possible for things to slip through if the owner doesn't disclose them, and then it's a legal mess.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:12 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Well, my thinking on this is no clearer than before! :-)

The seller is the original owner of 19 years. She added the deck maybe 15 years ago? She's a minister, not a libertarian. She is into wood working but i think it unlikely she did all the work herself. I envision some folks from church helping out like an old fashioned barn raising but of course I have no idea.

The home inspector pointed out the flaws, and the seller confirmed there was no permit. I do not believe she disclosed it before but I'm not sure.

The construction can't be that bad, it has stood through at least 3 hurricanes. Altho...there is a newish metal roof on the house,(the result of a hurricane?) maybe it is holding the porch up instead of the porch holding the roof down. The joists are nailed instead of using joist hangers. The rafters and supports on the steps are too far apart. Those can be added but the inspector did not comment on the footings. I don't think it's going to fall down, but I shouldn't have to pay for horse and get a donkey.

I don't want the bank appraiser or insurance company to balk at this. It's a manufactured home so both are already wary.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
What is wrong with people that they would just disregard this process? I get that people might think they are saving money. Wouldn't they prefer to have something built to code so they know it is SAFE? Why let some amateur contractor build something that large only to have it essentially devalue their home when it is time to sell?
Inspectors charge money. Inspectors go on vacation and delay the process. Code authorities come up with crap that costs extra and delays thing (for instance now NEC says you need a keyed lockout on a circuit for a residential dishwasher). Once you're done, the taxman notices your property has more value and charges you more every year from now until eternity.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:50 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Inspectors charge money. Inspectors go on vacation and delay the process. Code authorities come up with crap that costs extra and delays thing (for instance now NEC says you need a keyed lockout on a circuit for a residential dishwasher). Once you're done, the taxman notices your property has more value and charges you more every year from now until eternity.
A new NEC was adopted in 2017 requiring all dishwashers and trash compactors to have a cord set with a receptacle installed within the adjacent cabinet. This is similar to what has been the code for a microwave and it definitely increases safety and proves a simple disconnect. Better than having a plumber have to hard wire a dishwasher in a tiny handy box mounted in the toe kick area of a dishwasher.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:35 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
It's not something that should get through a purchase process. Between the realtor and the title validation, someone should be able to detect major additions or changes and get them corrected/adjusted before close of escrow.

But yes, it's possible for things to slip through if the owner doesn't disclose them, and then it's a legal mess.
Exactly. A key is if someone mentions something is new or something looks brand new/almost finished, if the listing says "new.....".

In Stagemomma's case, she was explicitly told no permits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House