Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 08:08 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times

Advertisements

So, we are replacing our carpet in our basement as part of an impromptu need from a partial water incident. I have pulled some up and cleaned up the concrete (which was nasty). Going to remove all of it soon to get ready for new.

Basement is 100% below grade with a walkout entrance.

Question on what type of carpet pad to use, and what extra-steps (if any) can I do to the concrete floor to make it even better? Obviously going to clean the heck out of it and especially under the baseboards to get ready for the new stuff. I plan on fixing the hairline cracks as I find them (it is 20 years old now, totally expect to find some).

Can I seal the concrete with a poly too? Paint it with Killz? Anything like that?

I don’t want to damage it by “locking in” anything if it’s supposed to be able to “breathe” naturally. I know humidity changes occur down there, we run a dehumidifier in general.
The foundation is serviced by a sump pump system.

Current carpet appears to be from 2008. Our carpet guy looked at the existing pad and instantly knew when it was manufactured and also knew the carpet type/manufacturer as well (Mazen carpet). All that is there now is the pad (8lb antimicrobial) and carpet, on bare concrete. No plastic sheet or anything like that.

Thanks!

Last edited by NC211; 05-12-2019 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 08:29 PM

6,361 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Yes, it’s definitely better to thoroughly seal a concrete slab on grade prior to installing carpet or a wood flooring system. The sealer will mitigate some of the vapor and moisture that would pass through the concrete from the soil substrate.

There are many good sealers available and I’d advise you take a look and do some reading on line to determine which product to purchase and apply.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:21 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
We had a loosely enclosed former screened in porch behind our garage.

We finished the insulation, walls, ceiling and updated the electric and added an electric heat strip.

But to finish the floor for carpeting, i knew we had to had to do something to the concrete floor.

We bought and applied concrete sealer, then painted it. We originally used throw rugs, but decided that we wanted full carpeting.

Since the door opens into the room, a pad won't work, so we bought a commercial grade carpet with resin backing designed to go right on concrete in a commercial application.

3 years later, no problem.

You might want a pad for comfort.

But yes buy a few gallons of concrete sealer "paint " and seal that sucker before you put down new carpet.
You dont want moisture buildup underneath either the carpet or pad and carpet.

Its designed to keep moisture from transferring through the concrete floor OR walls.

Best of luck to you...

Old 05-13-2019, 06:10 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times
Instead of carpet have you thought about luxury vinyl planks? https://www.bestlaminate.com/blog/is-vinyl-waterproof/ You wouldnt have to tear everything out if it floods again. And Yes I would seal the floor too before putting carpet or anything else on top of it.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:45 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
If you've had a basement flood ruin the carpet in your basement, why would you think of replacing it with more carpet?

Old 05-13-2019, 07:30 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
Ceramic tile is what I would use below grade....

Old 05-13-2019, 07:45 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times
Default Predicting flooding.

W/o more from your post you have predicted that flooding should not recur in yr basement. If you are satisfied with that and especially if you will just pass the problem to the next owner, maybe its in your interest to do as little as possible. Its up to you. So rip up the old carpet and paint with a sealer.

But usually water invades a basement between the walls and floor or even back up the drain.

You could dig a sump, install a pump, and keep the floor painted and that should solve flooding.

Or you can get a contractor to seal the walls from outside or dig a french drain along the inside tied into your outside drain to solve your problem. Muy expensive.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:18 AM

327 posts, read 456,594 times
The prior owner of our house installed carpet (the cheapest possible kind) on the "finished" side of our entirely below grade basement. I would not do that again. Basements flood, or at least attract moisture. We do run a dehumidifier down there that fills up every couple of days, sometimes every day. But water still seeps in occasionally from the surrounding wet ground or underneath.

Sealers sound fine, but I'd follow the modern trend of avoiding carpeting when doing renovations.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:28 AM

6,361 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
So, we are replacing our carpet in our basement as part of an impromptu need from a partial water incident. I have pulled some up and cleaned up the concrete (which was nasty). Going to remove all of it soon to get ready for new.

Question on what type of carpet pad to use, and what extra-steps (if any) can I do to the concrete floor to make it even better? Obviously going to clean the heck out of it and especially under the baseboards to get ready for the new stuff. I plan on fixing the hairline cracks as I find them (it is 20 years old now, totally expect to find some).

Can I seal the concrete with a poly too? Paint it with Killz? Anything like that?

I don’t want to damage it by “locking in” anything if it’s supposed to be able to “breathe” naturally. I know humidity changes occur down there, we run a dehumidifier in general.

Current carpet appears to be from 2008. Our carpet guy looked at the existing pad and instantly knew when it was manufactured and also knew the carpet type/manufacturer as well (Mazen carpet). All that is there now is the pad (8lb antimicrobial) and carpet, on bare concrete. No plastic sheet or anything like that.

Thanks!
You could also consider a good quality carpet tile since many of them are rubber backed, wear like iron and could be installed with the tac-tile system where no adhesive is necessary. They could be picked up if wet, dried out and then reinstalled.

They are much more expensive than using conventional broadloom carpeting.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:55 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post

Thanks!
The previous owners of this house used the entire subterranean basement as a 'kennel' for their dogs. The baby blue carpet was stained with urine, crap and was utterly nasty. First order of business was yank out the carpet, then I applied Kilz to the concrete floor, then we had a really, really expensive padding with a stain blocker put down and then carpet.

It totally worked great. That padding makes it feel as if you are walking on a foam mattress. Almost 10 years and it's still looking brand new.

FYI- tile or laminate flooring was out of the question for us- it get's COLD here, and carpet makes for a much warmer environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House