Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 42,075 times

Advertisements

Hi all ! Last week I got 4 estimates for central air conditioning. All pushing different brands. I am on a budget and am of course looking at lower end units. My house is 1200 sq ft and still, AC will run $3000+ One guy said that for the most part all AC parts are manufactured in the same place, and just have different shells, he sold all brands, recommended Goodman. He had overall best price. Other brands people gave me prices on were- ( starting from lowest to highest) Goodman, Payne, Bryant, Carrier. I want something reliable at the lowest price possible. I am getting the new coolant and looking at 13seer. I would appreciate any and all input on this. I live in colorado. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 01:10 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,931,688 times
When I lived in Colorado we used swamp cooler.Was excellent for our 2200 sq ft ranch home.Not practical for other type homes.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:45 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,005,485 times
My previous home had a Goodman system and I was NOT pleased. It broke down a lot even though I had it cleaned every year and changed the filters often. At one point, it backed up and flooded the adjacent walk-in closet, dressing area, and bathroom. Insurance covered everything but it was a huge pain and I lost a lot of important papers and files I had stored in that closet.

My current home has a Ruud system. It works GREAT and I see a huge difference between this CAH and the Goodman. One drawback is it's not very energy-efficient. But as far as performance and reliability, the Ruud is a winner.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:59 PM

459 posts, read 2,227,547 times
I would personally stay away from Goodman and all of its spin off companies (Janitrol, Amana). They are low priced units for a reason.

I'm not familiar with Payne units, Carrier and Bryant should be decent units.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:52 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,103 times
I have Carrier. I recently had the unit spring cleaned, and the service guy said it holds up the best. He services all brands, so I thought that was encouraging. Ten years and no problems.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyS View Post
Hi all ! Last week I got 4 estimates for central air conditioning. All pushing different brands. I am on a budget and am of course looking at lower end units. My house is 1200 sq ft and still, AC will run $3000+ One guy said that for the most part all AC parts are manufactured in the same place, and just have different shells, he sold all brands, recommended Goodman. He had overall best price. Other brands people gave me prices on were- ( starting from lowest to highest) Goodman, Payne, Bryant, Carrier. I want something reliable at the lowest price possible. I am getting the new coolant and looking at 13seer. I would appreciate any and all input on this. I live in colorado. Thanks!
I've only heard of Carrier and Rheem.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:35 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
I have a Goodman (aka Kenmore) in my house, my grandfather had it installed before he passed away. He had it installed by Sears and got ripped off on the price. Thankfully it has only broke down once since 1996.

I think Carrier and Payne are made by the same company, and Carrier is the most popular brand in my area. Trane and York are good brands, but expensive.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:29 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
I've only installed Tempstar units for family...

Features I like are multi-position, two stage burners and variable speed blower... and a very high SEER rating.

So far, the oldest 7 years old and not a single problem...

Most were attic installs to save on floor space and I really like the variable speed blower because it runs very quiet on the lower speeds which is almost always.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:11 PM

353 posts, read 1,706,329 times
I am an HVAC tech. Your best unit out there is a Carrier. However, there is no difference whatsoever between Bryant and Carrier other than the label. The basic 80%, 90%, Heat pumps and condensing units from Carrier and Bryant are the same as Payne. That is the best family of heating and cooling machines out there.

Generally, Kennmore uses mostly Tempstar to make their units, and they are ok. They are not superior, but they are ok. Rheem and Ruud are also identical. I am not a huge fan of them, but they are also ok. (When I see a Rheem I think I will scream!)

Goodman and Amana are inexpensive. The quality control is not there. They are ten year units. Ducane is owned by Lennox, but it is also a 10 year unit, not available everywhere. Lennox is not much better than Ducane. They used to make a solid furnace years ago, but their products are inferior for the price. Just an FYI- A Carrier control board for a furnace is well over $150, contractor cost. A similar furnace by lennox has a board that cost $39.95, my cost. What does that tell you? No wonder why I replaced so many of them.

Trane and American Standard are identical also. They are good and reliable. Just beware, their repair parts are usually much more expensive.

York is an expensive name and generally is identical to and manufactured by the same people that make Luxaire, a more inexpensive model. They are good units, but I wouldn't pay the extra cash for the York name. They do the job, more reliable than Lennox/Ducane in my opinion.

Just a comment on an earlier post... a water overflow can happen to any machine. It has nothing to do with the brand at all. It has everything to do with a clogged condensate drain. That is a maintenance issue and nothing more. There are drain lines on an a/c coil and they do frequently clog.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
History of the Industry Brands

History of industry brands for anyone interested in who owns who.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House