Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2019, 01:28 PM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times

Advertisements

Too late now but I'll ask the question any way for my own acquisition of knowledge. Friend had a Whirpool Gold fridge that had the freezer on the bottom. Open the bottom drawer and there were a lip of sorts on the top and when the door was closed this lip came close to the light. The light had an on off switch and ice was accumulating around that switch. I suggested test the temperature inside and they used a non appliance thermometer and said it went down to minus 20. I think desirable temperature for a freezer is between 0-10? So they called a repairman who charged a $88 for coming out and used a heat gun to help adhere the rubber gasket to the top of the freezer drawer. That lasted a few days and then ice around the light switch. The heat gun fix "done 100 times so they said" was another $40. Then they wanted to try a new gasket since there was a tiny hole in the gasket, tiny being eighth inch diameter maybe. That cost over $100. Then yesterday they called some used appliance place and either traded their old one for a used one or just gave the appliance store x dollars to haul away the old one. I suggested just let the ice accumulate and turn the temperature switch down to off and back on a few hours later and then slowly increase the setting from 1 to 2, etc. They said all the meat would go bad if the freezer was turned off for a few hours. Not true. So now that they have junked the one that had a little ice around the light switch inside the freezer drawer, what was the cause and solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House