Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 09:05 AM

73 posts, read 45,204 times

Advertisements

Yes, I watch them, and if it does not impact their productivity, I talk with them. In one case, I asked the foreman to get rid of a worker than did not wear his personal protective equipment while working (I do not want them hurt on my property). The foreman reassigned him to another job and brought in someone else. And I give them water and snacks at break times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 12:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
He was a fantastic tile guy, did a living room/crossway job that was just master work. But when we decided to splurge on a black granite shower stall, replacing some failing ceramic... he either got in over his depth as far as wet fixtures, or just shaved a few hundred dollars and maybe half a day on an expensive job with no budget or time constraints.

When the inspector popped up out of the crawlspace to tell us everything in that corner was ruined... I could have hunted down and killed the SOB. Point being that I was there, and I was watching, and it was the third job he'd done for me, and I saw proper work being done... that somehow vanished when I turned my back. I really don't know what happened there, but I will allow him enough breathing time to explain...
Yeah he knew. If you’re a tile guy you know how to do the job right. Unfortunately what happens is some guys underbid to get the job or just bid wrong which of course somehow translates to that being the customers fault when they won’t cough up more money or the tradesman is “over this job” so they do just enough to make it look good because months down the road you’re not gonna find them and you’ll need to force them to repair it. That was the **** that drove me batty. I walked in a house and the guy was complaining the W/D wasn’t working. Long story short he had the room addition and the guy used I kid you not 12 ga extension cord for the 220 on the dryer. Had to rip the guys wall apart to run the correct wire. I felt bad. I think I only charged him a hour labor. That’s why for the most part I only hire licensed contractors or I diy. Lots of guys promise concrete quality but they deliver cat litter. Not even the clumping kind. The cheap stuff that’s nonabsirbent.

But yeah I’m a firm believer in giving the customer what I bid for. Guy wants a rewired garage that’s what he will get. If the specs call for a sub panel and I missed it I’ll install it and that’s that. It his fault I missed the subpanel requirement. It just teaches you not to underbid. Sometimes I lost money on bids because I bid wrong or or thought it was easier but took longer or additional materials. So yeah sometimes I “lost” money but it’s not the customers fault and I refuse to do substandard work to save a buck or give them a product that won’t last. I don’t want to come back to fix a botched job I did and I want them to call me for their next project.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 06-03-2019 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-03-2019, 03:19 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I am getting some trees cut down. Someone mentioned that I should be home that day (i.e. take off work) and watch them. Is this necessary?

When you have work done on your property, do you watch them work or steer clear and let them do their thing? I can see how it would be an annoyance if I was the worker.
I would always be at home when having something like tree cutting done. They could drop a branch on your or a neighbor's house, someone could get injured, etc. And keep an eye out, so you can catch something being done incorrectly before it causes damage.

When I have a contractor doing home cabinets or things of that sort, I'm home (I don't let people inside w/me present), and I check on things occasionally, but try not to hover. If they're just measuring or something, I'm with them the whole time to see the measuring and to answer questions & ask questions.

For tree cutting, bear in mind that some businesses have a supervisor for the team, but the supervisor may not be present for the job or the whole job. You need to know this before they do the job.

I get the impression that tree cutters are used to homeowners watching them work. In fact, once I was inside when he cut a small tree. He asked me later, "Did you see how I cut that tree down by myself?" He was all proud of his work and just assumed I was watching from inside. Even the neighbors watch. They're used to it.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah he knew. If you’re a tile guy you know how to do the job right. Unfortunately what happens is some guys underbid to get the job or just bid wrong which of course somehow translates to that being the customers fault when they won’t cough up more money or the tradesman is “over this job†so they do just enough to make it look good because months down the road you’re not gonna find them and you’ll need to force them to repair it. That was the **** that drove me batty. I walked in a house and the guy was complaining the W/D wasn’t working. Long story short he had the room addition and the guy used I kid you not 12 ga extension cord for the 220 on the dryer. Had to rip the guys wall apart to run the correct wire. I felt bad. I think I only charged him a hour labor. That’s why for the most part I only hire licensed contractors or I diy. Lots of guys promise concrete quality but they deliver cat litter. Not even the clumping kind. The cheap stuff that’s nonabsirbent.

But yeah I’m a firm believer in giving the customer what I bid for. Guy wants a rewired garage that’s what he will get. If the specs call for a sub panel and I missed it I’ll install it and that’s that. It his fault I missed the subpanel requirement. It just teaches you not to underbid. Sometimes I lost money on bids because I bid wrong or or thought it was easier but took longer or additional materials. So yeah sometimes I “lost†money but it’s not the customers fault and I refuse to do substandard work to save a buck or give them a product that won’t last. I don’t want to come back to fix a botched job I did and I want them to call me for their next project.
It was supposed to read “it’s not his faultâ€

Old 06-03-2019, 07:22 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I am getting some trees cut down. Someone mentioned that I should be home that day (i.e. take off work) and watch them. Is this necessary?

When you have work done on your property, do you watch them work or steer clear and let them do their thing? I can see how it would be an annoyance if I was the worker.
I do. I have had too many bad experiences to not stay nearby. I also make sure they know that I know how the should be done, before I ever hire them. I research the heck out of it before ever getting a quote.) If they don't like that sort of client, then they are free to look for work elsewhere.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:17 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
You walked the job and made clear what you want?
Did you get it in writing?
Are they licensed, insured, bonded?
Will you pay them when the job is done per agreement?
Why take off work?

Old 06-04-2019, 09:10 AM

734 posts, read 842,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I do. I have had too many bad experiences to not stay nearby. I also make sure they know that I know how the should be done, before I ever hire them. I research the heck out of it before ever getting a quote.) If they don't like that sort of client, then they are free to look for work elsewhere.

What kind of experiences?

Old 06-04-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
You walked the job and made clear what you want?
Did you get it in writing?
Are they licensed, insured, bonded?
Will you pay them when the job is done per agreement?
Why take off work?
Yes to all (except I will likely not be done when they conclude work although I can pay them the next day).

I can see being there when they first start the job, and going in a little late, but not sure I really need to be around after that.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I would always be at home when having something like tree cutting done. They could drop a branch on your or a neighbor's house, someone could get injured, etc. And keep an eye out, so you can catch something being done incorrectly before it causes damage.
I couldn't prevent it from happening, and they are the experts. They would know better than me what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
For tree cutting, bear in mind that some businesses have a supervisor for the team, but the supervisor may not be present for the job or the whole job. You need to know this before they do the job.
Good point. Just because he understands what needs to be done doesn't mean the rest of the crew does.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
You don't need to hover over them and stare at them the entire time, but you should be there initially to point things out and then check and see how things are going. That is normal.
That seems to make the most sense, although I would likely have to make arrangements with my employer if I were to stick around for long. Do they normally expect payment as soon as the job is complete?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House