Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 09:26 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times

Advertisements

You can justify it to yourself anyway you want-
But I know you don't need 8TONS for 2600sq/ft- PERIOD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 05:49 AM

480 posts, read 480,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You can justify it to yourself anyway you want-But I know you don't need 8TONS for 2600sq/ft- PERIOD!
I think you're looking at it in terms of a central system. If that were the case, then yes, 8 tons would be absurd. A central ducted system with eight tons of cooling would be an all-or-nothing affair and would freeze us out most of the time. However, since I can control each unit individually, I'll be able to run with as little 1 ton of cooling with that particular variable speed compressor throttled way down to boot, if desired based on ambient temperatures, or I can run full-out with 8 tons on the days when we see high 90s and sauna-like humidity. Its also worth noting that only 75% of our second floor (about 975 of the 1300SF) is an addition that was done in the late '90s. The rest of the house (about 1625SF) is 1880s construction and, despite ours and the previous owners best efforts, is leaky and poorly insulated. However, mini-splits are very efficient and electricity in New Jersey is quite cheap, so to me, its worth it. Our heat and DHW is supplied by a super efficient Buderus oil boiler, clothes drying/cooking gas is supplied by propane, and we've converted the entire house to LED lighting. Currently, an electric bill over $40 a month is rare.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:01 PM

577 posts, read 493,108 times
Our previous home and the one before it, both had the whole house fans (WHF) in them. Knowing while the only access to these attics were a small opening in one of our clothes closets, I removed the fans and converted them to attic access openings.

Not only because I wanted easier attic access, but the WHF in my opinion, was more trouble that it was worth. Because when windows get opened up to use the fan, they can be forgotten to be closed, or they get opened on a very humid day. And open windows or unlocked windows if forgotten about, are a security issue to me.

And the AC that may be running while the WHF is on, is a issue. I even came up with a electrical wiring plan to solve this WHF/AC being "on" issue, but it all gets too complicated for the average family to mess with. JMO

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 06-05-2019 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House