Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 06:17 AM

82 posts, read 77,822 times

Advertisements

I’m just curious when people think the next generation of power tools will come out? I have all dewalt tools. Wanted to take a step and buy more but don’t reallt want to if the new line up of tools/bigger batteries is only a few years away. I don’t remember exactly what year they moved up to the 20v lineup but I know it was within the past 7 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 08:28 AM

1,002 posts, read 916,467 times
A change in battery technology is not going to happen any time soon. I just bought a new set of Milwaukee tools and went all brushless, they tend to be lighter, more torque-y, and have longer battery life (more efficient) but the different isn't dramatic.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:43 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjshaw130 View Post
I’m just curious when people think the next generation of power tools will come out? I have all dewalt tools. Wanted to take a step and buy more but don’t reallt want to if the new line up of tools/bigger batteries is only a few years away. I don’t remember exactly what year they moved up to the 20v lineup but I know it was within the past 7 years.
There will always be bigger batteries and better power management.

I have old DeWalt cordless tools.
They still work for the light duty I use them for, so I don't worry about whether they're the latest and greatest.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:05 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
The latest developments haven't had major improvements in battery technology (which is already ver good compared to what was available a decade ago). The latest improvements are in smaller, lighter, more powerful, and far more efficient brushless motors. They're doing a lot more woth the same battery capacity.

Not that important to the hobbyist or homeowner. But for professionals, the new brushless motor power tools are the only way to go.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:24 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
dont worry about the latest and greatest technology. these days you are only going to get incremental improvements in battery and motor technology so if you need tools now, then buy them now. any real big breakthroughs are going o be rumored to be happening for at least a year before they actually hit the marketplace.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:32 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
As long as you can buy decent quality replacement batteries, it doesn't really matter. I have a middle grade Ryobi 18-volt that I bought to build a deck about 15 years ago. I've found power screwdriver / drills typically last about as long mechanically as the first pair of batteries. However, it's about halfway through its second set of (aftermarket) batteries without a flaw.

I'm not going to replace it for minor technological improvements.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:35 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Solar powered chargers next year for the job site.

Nuclear powered in about 5yrs. Imagine not having to recharge a tool for- oh, say 10yrs!?

In the mean time, corded is cheap- the typical DIY'er can buy a circular saw, drill, sander, and sabersaw for about a $100! Now, let's get crackin' on those projects!!!

Old 06-12-2019, 11:42 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Solar powered chargers next year for the job site.
Tool chests already have solar lids.

Quote:
Nuclear powered in about 5yrs. Imagine not having to recharge a tool for- oh, say 10yrs!?
Right. And they'll fit in the trunk of your flying car and come with lanyards to keep from dropping them while using your jetpack.

Quote:
In the mean time, corded is cheap- the typical DIY'er can buy a circular saw, drill, sander, and sabersaw for about a $100! Now, let's get crackin' on those projects!!!
The insane oversell of cordless versions of tools that (1) need a lot of power and (2) are essentially never used away from a wall socket boggles me.

A good cordless drill/driver, you betcha. A circ saw, recip saw, etc? Nonsensical for home users and even most light construction work. Only of use to those who do a lot of work at multiple locations far from a plug... ranchers, farmers, handymen (some) and remote installation/maintenance tasks. Not cutting two-bys in your garage. Even most construction teams use cords and a generator rather than ten batteries a day.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:43 PM

82 posts, read 77,822 times
I saw a significant change when dewalt came out with there 20v tools and batteries which is why I switched over. I personally love the latest and greatest. Do you think the next gen is going to come within the next 5 years?

Old 06-12-2019, 04:01 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default The Magic 8 Ball says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjshaw130 View Post
Do you think the next gen is going to come within the next 5 years?
Maybe. But, not to worry.

Maybe, as 40ish volts is becoming common for outdoor tools. Lawn mowers, hedge trimmers, etc. Both Home Depot (Ryobi) and Lowes (Kobalt) are promoting these. But, they are also selling 56-volt (Home Depot, Ego) and 80-volt (Lowes, Kobalt) systems.

But, the installed base of Ryobi 18-volt tools is so large that batteries will be available for a long time.

Meanwhile, Festool is selling both 10.8-volt and 18-volt cordless carpentry tools.
And, Stihl is selling 36-volt outdoor tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House