Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 12:58 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I bought a Craftsman house here in the San Francisco Bay Area late last year. There are 22 windows total, with 2 original wood single-panes, 2 really old single-panes (not from 1914 like the house but probably no newer than the '50s), and 18 '70s-ish aluminum single-panes. The previous owners must have liked variety, as there is a mix of grids and no-grids, and the aluminum windows are a mix of sliders and single-hungs (no grids).

Anyway, it's all quite a mess and every west-facing room gets warm in the afternoon, so I would like to replace 20 of the 22 for my own sanity and to get something more period appropriate (i.e., no sliders). I am a fan of keeping the original features where possible, but with only 2 original and 2 semi-original windows left intact, I think getting everything to match is the best way to go. Do you think I'm way off base?

I've received 4 quotes (for 18 of the 20 windows) so far:
1. Renewal by Andersen - $40,000
2. Simonton 6200 (from Home Depot) - $17,000
3. Milgard Style Line (from Home Depot) - $19,000
4. Anlin Catalina (from well-rated independent contractor) - $14,000

Of these 4 options, I think the Anlin Catalina option looks best and also is a good fit for the Bay Area's mild climate. Secondarily, it is nice that they're the cheapest option.

Has anyone had experience picking between a similar selection of windows? Especially curious to hear from people who have considered putting vinyl windows in an old home. Vinyl now seems much better than the vinyl of 20 years ago, and from any sort of distance the Anlins seem to look more like the originals--possibly even more so than the Renewal by Andersen windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 01:50 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
I've looked at replacing 35 original single pane wood windows of a 1940's house. They were top of the line in 1949, and I have decided to keep them, re-glaze and protect with new storms. Renewal by Anderson composite window is the top of the line,IMO. My price started at $90K, after much negotiating it ended up at $50K for a combination of 3'x5' (6 over 9) and 3'x6' (9 over 9) windows....2 years ago. Based on my quote, I think you can negotiate a better price if you are so inclined.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-20-2019, 03:09 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
One of my children has an original Sears kit house (going to be 100 next year) - it's a Craftsman style - very cute - replaced all the windows with vinyl and you can't tell (doesn't stand out as looking plastic-y). I was opposed to vinyl but replaced all of my windows in my cottage with some really nice vinyl and I couldn't be happier - the new ones are very subtle - and since I like to hose them all down, good thing they aren't wood, they would be rotting by now. They have all kinds of shapes and sizes too.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:09 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
What are you looking for???
Price? Style? Period correct?
Are these "insert units"? Or are they full replacements? Are the current aluminum windows full replacements; or are they inserts also?

You can get "sash kits" if the original jambs are there and in good condition- they go right in (assuming standard size window units). Remove the weight balances/cords/pullies/etc, pack the void with insulation, install the new spring balances, pop-in the sashes- DONE!

Old 06-20-2019, 05:31 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What are you looking for???
Price? Style? Period correct?
Are these "insert units"? Or are they full replacements? Are the current aluminum windows full replacements; or are they inserts also?

You can get "sash kits" if the original jambs are there and in good condition- they go right in (assuming standard size window units). Remove the weight balances/cords/pullies/etc, pack the void with insulation, install the new spring balances, pop-in the sashes- DONE!
Price, value, selection. Nobody even comes close. (Nobody!)

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

The existing windows are inserts. The replacement windows would be inserts as well. Jambs look okay but it's hard to say for sure because there are a gazillion layers of paint to contend with. I don't think the jambs are original because they appear to lack any grooves or channels that I can see like in the one original single-hung interior (formerly exterior) window that I would leave as is. Also, none of the window sizes match what I can find on the Home Depot website, which means I can't just go buy ready-made windows unless I'm misunderstanding how this works.

The only two original windows on my house are picture windows, and I would replace them with awning windows so I can get cross ventilation in my living room.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:34 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
We have a craftsman home and we had to replace 60 windows because of fire. We chose the new vinyl windows (we could have chosen aluminum since thats what was there originally. Instead we chose the vinyl. We live in Texas and its hot and humid. This is why:

Energy Efficiency & Thermal Performance

Vinyl Window
Vinyl windows perform better when it comes to this important contemporary issue. They are designed to provide the industry’s best energy efficiency.

Aluminum Window
Aluminum windows are notorious for acting like radiators, bringing unwanted heat from the outside into the room. They also conduct cold in the same way as heat, so must be specially protected with “thermal breaks,” to compete with vinyl windows for energy efficiency. This adds to their cost.
Condensation

Vinyl Window
Vinyl windows create less condensation than wood or aluminum windows.

Aluminum Window
The heat transfer action that is characteristic of aluminum (for which reason it’s used in cookware) creates condensation and related problems. This is especially true in the north part of the nation. When condensation seeps between the window and the wall, it causes rot, mildew and mold.
Thermal Breaks

Vinyl Window
Vinyl is itself the best thermal break. It minimizes heat transfer from the outside of the room to the inside.

Aluminum Window
Thermal breaks are employed in many modern aluminum windows to combat the problem of condensation and increase the windows’ energy efficiency. These are made of vinyl.
Noise Reduction

Vinyl Window
More effective.

Aluminum Window
Less effective.
Recyclability

Vinyl Window
Less efficient to recycle.

Aluminum Window
Very efficient to recycle.
Maintenance

Vinyl Window
Lower maintenance requirements than both wood and aluminum. No need to repaint or restain ever, since they are the same color throughout.

Aluminum Window
Aluminum windows must be lubricated regularly, since their moving parts consist of metal against metal. If painted, they will require regular maintenance.
Cost

Vinyl Window
Typically less expensive with better value.

Aluminum Window
Typically more expensive if you get anything but a bottom-line product, which is highly energy-inefficient.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:49 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Please don't ruin the house with garbage vinyl windows. They are flipper widnows not keeper windows. Suggest you keep the original two and look to MArvin for matching windows elsewhere. Put invisible storms in the two you keep. If money is a problem, just put invisible storms everywhere

Old 06-23-2019, 03:24 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
[quote=cp102;55478582]We have a craftsman home and we had to replace 60 windows because of fire. ...we could have chosen aluminum since thats what was there originally...[\quote]

I doubt your Craftsman house had aluminum windows originally.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:28 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post

Recyclability

Vinyl Window
Less efficient to recycle.

Aluminum Window
Very efficient to recycle.
Or you could consider buying windows that don't need to be recycled. The windows in my house are 80 years old this October and I'm certainly not concerned about recycling them, although I do need to replace a part of one due to rot and I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

Recyclabilty is a concern for consumable items. If you are thinking of your house's windows as consumable items I would respectfully suggest you need to overhaul your thinking.

I hope to install storm windows soon to eliminate the condensation issues, which are probably the cause of the rot. At some point I need to pry the facing boards off and retrieve the sash weights for the bathroom window as it's getting to be tiresome to put a prop stick in it when we open it.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:19 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
[quote=turf3;55497074]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
We have a craftsman home and we had to replace 60 windows because of fire. ...we could have chosen aluminum since thats what was there originally...[\quote]

I doubt your Craftsman house had aluminum windows originally.

Well the insurance company told me thats what they were. I am going by what they said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House