Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 02:29 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
If I were looking to buy it would turn me off. I prefer my washer/dryer near my mudroom, or garage entry. It keeps DH from dragging his dirty work clothes, towels from his work room, etc into the house. I also prefer to have a utility sink there as well, to protect the house sinks -- and wash the dogs.

My bedroom is my quiet place to retreat to and the idea of having a running washer/dryer in the adjoining bath -- or worse, when I am having a nice calming soak in the tub -- it sets my teeth on edge.
yep - heck i would want it in a detached garage!

To me, hauling clothes back and forth is no big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 02:38 PM

249 posts, read 196,035 times
Make a separate closet with a door if you must keep it there. I would not buy a house with it in there. I think of my MB as my sanctuary: seeing dirty laundry and/or machines would only make me think of the work I needed to do.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:43 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
I don't even need to write a post, Bondaroo expresses it exactly, but I'll write one anyway.

In a big house, housing more people than your house, you would want a 2nd laundry room to keep the traffic out of the master bath. However, since this is essentially a 1 person or couple house, having it in the master bath is not only acceptable, but an actual design plus ++.

The nay-sayers are nay-saying based on the idea of the traditional 3 to 4 bedroom house, but your house isn't that.

Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
In a smaller one bedroom home, it makes perfect sense. Especially since you said the machines are currently just behind the wall anyway, so it doesn't seem like there would be much of a difference in noise.

In a big family home that will likely have multiple people doing laundry at all times, it could be awkward.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:14 PM

96 posts, read 116,579 times
It’s a dealbreaker for me. I had laundry in my master in my last house, and will never do that again. I hated that people (kids, relatives, guests) had to go through my room to do laundry. No thanks!

Old 06-23-2019, 05:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Looked at a house where the laundry room was in the family room.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:57 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Looked at a house where the laundry room was in the family room.
A friend of mine had a set up kind of like that - it was inside a closet in a den. It was actually pretty convenient, she could watch TV or read while doing laundry, and easily pause what she was doing to transfer it to the dryer, and then fold the clothes while watching TV. And with the doors to the closet closed, it really wasn't loud enough to be disruptive.

I typically bring the basket of clothes into my bedroom and fold it on the bed with the TV or some music on, which I prefer to trying to fold it in the laundry room itself, although I suppose in a fantasy house, I could just have speakers and a TV in the laundry room too! lol!

Old 06-24-2019, 04:54 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think having the laundry adjacent to the bedroom is very sensible. That’s where most of the laundry is generated and stored, so why carry it all over the house?

I’m on one floor with the master at one end of the house. The first thing I come to outside the bedroom is the laundry room and then the kitchen. It’s convenient.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:13 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Nope, it's just me in a 1000sf beach cottage. If my kids want to do laundry when they come home, I wouldn't have a problem with that. Shoot, the 3 of us had one small bathroom for 7 years.

I have a 3 section laundry sorting bin that keeps it off the floor. I don't see a yuck factor. The bathroom is easy enough to clean.
1000 sf beach cottage?

Damn straight I'd have the W/D in the master bathroom.

Think of all the times you are throwing off dirty clothes, wet towels, ...

Anyone who doesn't like it could easily move their W/D to the other side. If you can, leave the hookups so that's an option.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:25 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

If you ever blow out your knee or sprain an ankle you won’t think that. You’ll be needing someone to tote all of that laundry for you.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:38 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

Most nights, I throw a load of laundry into the washer when I'm getting ready for bed. If needed, I can even get it into the dryer while I shower and get dressed the next morning, and folded and put away too, before I ever go downstairs for the day. Otherwise, I dry it when I go upstairs for the night and start getting ready for bed. There's no chance that would happen if I had to run up and down the stairs in the middle of doing all that, never mind actually leave the house to get to a detached garage.

Most weeks, I can stay ahead of the laundry by doing it overnight like this, so that on weekends, I don't even have to worry about. That's why I would never have a laundry room anywhere but conveniently close to the bedrooms, even if actually inside the master bedroom or bathroom isn't my top choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House