Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 09:51 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Our big regret is not getting taller kitchen cabinets.

Order your cabinets and drawers with soft-close hinges and rollers guides. Pull-out shelving in the lower cabinets. Super-quiet dishwasher, especially if your home is open concept.
I love kitchen cabinets all the way to the ceiling. Looks good and great place to store those bowls and so forth that you only use for parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 11:29 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I love kitchen cabinets all the way to the ceiling. Looks good and great place to store those bowls and so forth that you only use for parties.
Yeah, I never understood the current thing of giving up useful (though you don't want to be getting in there all the time) cabinet storage space, in order to have a place for all kinds of dust and dirt to collect. Bad idea! Take those cabinets up to the ceiling!

Old 07-02-2019, 11:38 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
"Open soffits" were sold as adding airy spaciousness. They've never fooled me as anything but contractor corner-cutting. Too cheap to run cabinets up that extra foot (and yeah, they tend to be junk collectors, so what)? Too cheap to even make then usable display/shelf space (most are open framework on top with no flat surface)? Then put in face walls and stick your beer bottle behind them to get your revenge.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:42 AM

4,341 posts, read 2,226,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I updated our previous kitchen, and I wholeheartedly agree with the soap dispenser!! One of the cheapest and best conveniences around.
We had a store bought battery operated auto-soap dispenser.

Hated that thing; it would spit out soap all by itself and constantly make a mess on the counter.

Kept it dry and clean, fresh batteries - same thing.

Just more stuff to break, imo.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:14 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
I'm not a fan of the stacked cabinets/cabinets to the ceiling. To me they look like the walls closing in on me. And with 9 foot ceilings, the space is pretty useless because while I'm ok using a step stool, I'm not ok using a ladder to access kitchen items. I have 42 inch cabinets but didn't see the need to go higher than that.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:36 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post

Hated that thing; it would spit out soap all by itself and constantly make a mess on the counter.

Generally the under mounted dispensers are manual pumps.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm not a fan of the stacked cabinets/cabinets to the ceiling. To me they look like the walls closing in on me. And with 9 foot ceilings, the space is pretty useless because while I'm ok using a step stool, I'm not ok using a ladder to access kitchen items. I have 42 inch cabinets but didn't see the need to go higher than that.
You can do setback soffits and paint them ceiling light/white to keep the space open without having that unfinished, useless space up there to collect dust and grease.

You can also not put nine-foot ceilings in kitchens and bathrooms, but I guess that's a matter of taste more than anything else.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:04 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You can do setback soffits and paint them ceiling light/white to keep the space open without having that unfinished, useless space up there to collect dust and grease.

You can also not put nine-foot ceilings in kitchens and bathrooms, but I guess that's a matter of taste more than anything else.
Or it's called an open floor plan with the ceiling height that is the same for the entire first floor. Either way, I didn't want cabinets any taller than what I have.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:09 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post

That's why you get manual pump dispenser that sits down out of sight - NOT a battery operated one with mechanicals to break.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
That's why you get manual pump dispenser that sits down out of sight - NOT a battery operated one with mechanicals to break.
Let me know if you ever find one made to better than Barbie's Pretend Kitchen standards. Had many; replaced more than one; lifespan of actual reliable soap delivery about three months. Gasp, wheeze, spatter, won't hold prime for nothin'.

I just keep a small pump bottle of hand soap on the back of the sink, and sometimes get three years or more from the pump. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House