Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 02:45 PM

20 posts, read 41,768 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm trying to eliminate some noise in the bedroom directly above my garage. A large part of the noise is the cheap, builder-grade opener I have in there now. I'm shopping for a replacement and I'm having trouble determining which opener will be quietest for the bedroom above.

Easiest is something like the Chamberalin b970 - as my existing garage door opener is ceiling mount. However, after looking around, there is some talk that the wall mount types are also very quiet - Chamberlain RJO20. The problem with the wall mount is that I'd have to run all the wiring (sensors, opener, power) on the outside of my drywall. I don't particularly want to do this unless that opener is significantly quieter / prone to less vibration that the ceiling mount option.

Does anyone have experience with these and can say which of these is quieter? No manufacturers or testers seems to publish decibel levels for openers, so seems like first-hand experience is the only way to go. Any garage opener installers out there work with these before?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 03:00 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
The wall mount, direct-drive units are nearly silent. I miss my high-lift pair a lot.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:53 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,554,833 times
YouTube “Liftmaster 3800” and watch the videos. They are that quiet.

I have two of them now and had my first on my last house I installed in 2012 and is still there working perfectly (I’m friends with the new owners).

The wiring is simple. Staple gun is all you need. Seriously, on a scale of 1-10 DIY’r skill (1 being Thumbs McGee and 10 K’builder on here “lookin’ atcha amigo”) this is probably a 3 level chore. Just follow the directions.

But this also assumes you have a garage door that runs on a torsion bar above it along the wall, and not those side hanging springs that run along the sides of the tracks? If you have torsion - it’s all good. Springs only - can’t do it.

These units have only two connection points to your home. (1) on the torsion bar itself, (2) one anchor bolt at the bottom of the unit. So unlike the overhead units with multiple anchor points to your home to transmit noise and vibration through - these have just one, and you can further mitigate that noise with a little rubber grommet between the mounting bracket and the wall itself.

Since you have an overhead now, then you likely have an outlet on the ceiling already. While not suggested, I ran two for many years via extension cord until I recently had my electrician come and install a dedicated outlet right above the openers (took him maybe 30 minutes and $100.

Amazon liftmaster 3800. They’re about $400 now.

If I could post a video, I’d show you mine..

Old 07-07-2019, 10:02 AM

All that. ^

Old 07-08-2019, 01:34 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Different drives can make a difference on conventional OHD openers- a belt drive is probably the quietest, then screw drive, and lastly chain drive.

There are isolation kits for openers that can certainly deter the transmission of vibration (which some call noise/sound). Part of that "vibration" comes from the rollers/door itself- older doors had steel rollers on steel track. Newer doors have coated tracks and nylon sealed bearing rollers- quite the improvement on both sound AND vibration.

From here you go jackshaft opener- but yes, it's not like you just pop it in and go when you're retro-fitting.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:03 PM

IF you have a torsion-bar spring and clear space to the left or right, it can be an easy installation. If not, it could be pro-only to impossible. But ANYTHING that gets rid of that overhead POC is worth working towards.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:26 AM

20 posts, read 41,768 times
Thanks all for the replies. I ended up going with the Chamberlain RJO20. On clearance at Lowes if anyone is in the market. Now for the install...

Old 07-09-2019, 01:39 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,554,833 times
Good call! It’s basically the exact same opener as the Liftmaster 3800. Why the two different companies, I don’t know..

Old 07-10-2019, 01:04 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,538,803 times
I have a Liftmaster 3800 and that thing is silent.
I don't hear a thing when my wife pulls in the garage, even when I'm in the bedroom directly above the garage.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:47 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Good call! It’s basically the exact same opener as the Liftmaster 3800. Why the two different companies, I don’t know..

One is the DIY consumer brand; the other is the "commercial" brand- internally they're pretty much the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House