Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 11:11 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times

Advertisements

Because the value is in the land not the house? Build cheap enough to attract the buyer and make more on the sale of the land underneath the home. We are also a status/image conscious society... in clothing it is brand. In houses it is square footage. In land it is zip code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 11:28 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Because the value is in the land not the house? Build cheap enough to attract the buyer and make more on the sale of the land underneath the home. We are also a status/image conscious society... in clothing it is brand. In houses it is square footage. In land it is zip code.
Personally, I would love to buy much smaller but better build house. Right now out of 5 rooms we use only one
Problem is, such houses either don't exist, or are located in too expensive (read "golf-course") zip codes. Another option is to buy a land and build house there yourself, but land with normal price is available only in sh.tty zip codes. As I said, there is simply no choice.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:31 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Personally, I would love to buy much smaller but better build house. Right now out of 5 rooms we use only one
Problem is, such houses either don't exist, or are located in too expensive (read "golf-course") zip codes. Another option is to buy a land and build house there yourself, but land with normal price is available only in sh.tty zip codes. As I said, there is simply no choice.

All they build in my area are McMansions. We are content with our tiny home especially since property taxes are also high.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:05 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
It all started with The Housing Act of 1949. The idea was to build a lot of houses on the cheap. Then there was Levittown, where they thought up this modern design from sh.t and paper, and everybody started to copy them. You see, in the "most rich country" most people do not have enough money to buy house for cash. More than that, most people can hardly afford even a mortgage. Originally mortgage length was 5 years with 50% downpayment (in 1900's). Obviously, very few were able to afford that. FHA was established in 1934 and started to offer up to 30 years mortgage, but only 80/20. This helped somewhat, but still not enough, as house prices were still high for a mere mortal. 1949 changed all that because sh.tty houses were now about 3 times cheaper to buy than to rent an apt. Time was flying by, houses were becoming bigger, but still sh.tty construction, prices were going up, and here were are now: 0% down, 40 years mortgages in UK and same proposed in US, and people still cannot afford housing. The reason? Consumerism, pushed hard by corporations and govt. Same reason why Walmart overtook almost all other stores. Same reason why you cannot find 4:3 laptops anymore. Same reason why you cannot find quality products anywhere anymore: quality does not help business. Volume does. As for customers - who cares about these dummies? They will digest what is cooked for them by corps/govt, just because there is no choice. That's how real market works.

And by the way, it has nothing to do with Europe Europe houses are quite sh.tty too, but for other reasons. Especially UK ones. How about water in a bathroom or kitchen coming from two different faucets - one for hot and another for cold water?
In a consumerist society, nothing it's built to last... Things are built just to be discarded. People care more about flash and perceived status than they do about quality, which is why those stick and cardboard mcmansions are so popular. To put it simply, Americans like cheap crap. If houses were built by skilled Craftsmen with quality materials as they were in the past, people would have to downsize to afford a home, and no one wants that.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:58 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Why does the richest nation in the world build such shoddy houses? The poor quality of American housing is quite frankly disgraceful. OSB, really? Fine for a shed or temporary dwelling, not a house. Asphalt roof shingles? Again, not acceptable for a human dwelling- a bird/doghouse sure. European nations would never allow their homes to be built like this. They build their homes from concrete/masonry. We build our homes, not even out of solid wood, but OSB which seems to be basically compressed wood chips. Even so-called third world countries build their homes far more solidly and durably than we do. The architecture of many of these suburban tract housing is also HIDEOUS, with the garage displayed prominently on the front as if it were the most important room in the house. I'm sure someone in the construction industry or someone more knowledgeable than me could point out a thousand other way in which American houses are crappily built.

Older American houses seem to be far better constructed. In the old Mid-western and Northeast cities, it's not hard to find homes from the late Victorian era that are still in good condition. Will these 'modern' homes last even 30-40 years before they're ready for the bulldozer?
Don't know where your basis for such off-handed statements comes from, but someone more knowledgeable than you would point out a thousand ways in which you are wrong.
Obviously you have little understanding of current construction materials and the reference to European nations is curious to say the least.
Like anything else, cost drives quality. Some can't afford custom, so there is a home built for the lower incomes. Nothing to be ashamed of.
Truly, you are misinformed.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:26 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Don't know where your basis for such off-handed statements comes from, but someone more knowledgeable than you would point out a thousand ways in which you are wrong.
Obviously you have little understanding of current construction materials and the reference to European nations is curious to say the least.
Like anything else, cost drives quality. Some can't afford custom, so there is a home built for the lower incomes. Nothing to be ashamed of.
Truly, you are misinformed.
Even homes built for the upper-middle to upper classes are often built cheaply and poorly

Old 07-10-2019, 05:52 AM

24,560 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Even homes built for the upper-middle to upper classes are often built cheaply and poorly
If that is your opinion albeit uneducated opinion so be it.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:12 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times
I think it depends on the builder. My first home was built by Perma-bilt and it was well made. I also think it depends on upkeep, all homes need upkeep over the years, and many times people can't afford to do it. I have lived in Europe yes the homes are old , the ones I lived in were drafty, and we had to keep our window open for a few hours a day even in the winter or mold would get all over the walls. I wasn't a fan of the old homes, they weren't updated. We had a flash heater, no air conditioning.

My 2nd home was a custom home and its well made I have had no problems with it. I have 3 rentals two were built by Legacy homes and the 3rd by D.R. Horton and none have any problems and they are all between 12-14 years old. But I do make sure they kept up, we walk the homes make sure things are sealed right, new roofs when they are needed. And when the exterior is painted check to be sure there is no wood rot, etc.

Last edited by cp102; 07-10-2019 at 06:22 AM..

Old 07-10-2019, 07:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Short term timeline
Americans move more frequently than others who buy homes in other countries
Greed
And the fact that America is a new country with lot of land

Old 07-10-2019, 07:08 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
So now your claim is anecdotal! When we were young and poor we lived in an old crappy shotgun with knob & tube with wood lathe and plaster.
Is that the era of home you relish?

Fast forward 30-years, we're building custom. Great builder with great materials.

Don't generalize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House