Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 05:08 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times

Advertisements

I’ve seen tons of sites that show how to convert your trash compactor space to a traditional garbage can. Few manufacturers actually make them anymore.

I know it’s kind of 80’s but I’m considering getting one, as I have more limited trash service than I used to. If I couldn’t put one in my kitchen I was thinking of a stand-alone model for the garage.

Anyone still use one? Recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 08:08 AM

341 posts, read 284,727 times
First thing we get when we move into a home is a trash compactor. We used dozens of times a day. Now, a second oven is rarely used. I'd add a second microwave and even second dishwasher, just keep the dishes in either dishwasher. When one fills up with dirty dishes, run it and start putting dirty dishes in the other one and repeat the cycle. Never put dishes in cupboards.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:14 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Our house is about 5 years old now, but it is fully custom. We put in a trash compactor and prefer it. In a prior home we had one we used for 15+ years and preferred it as well.

Look for a brand that has a switch or setting for overnight compaction. When the piston pushes down on the contents, it stops at the bottom of its cycle. In the morning, everything is compact. That's the way our previous unit worked. I'm not sure of the brand - probably kitchenaid or perhaps thermador.

Currently, we have a Wolf and it does not have the overnight compact button. The piston goes down to compact things until it hits a specified level of resistence and then reverses. There is no way to get the piston to just stay down over night. So to achieve that, I use an inexpensive X10 powerline controller. It isn't a big deal, but just thought I'd mention it.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:17 AM

341 posts, read 284,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
O
Look for a brand that has a switch or setting for overnight compaction. When the piston pushes down on the contents, it stops at the bottom of its cycle.
Never heard of this. Our just as a foot button that compacts on demand, takes about 20 seconds.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:53 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
I had a compactor in a previous house and really liked having it. Wanted to install one in my current house but found it would take a remodel of the kitchen to make it work so passed. Best arrangement for us is a dishwasher on one side of the sink and compactor on the other... best done in the initial design.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:15 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
If you have a compactor do you separate out recyclables? Most of our bulk is in the cans, bottles and jars that go in the recycling bin. I wish we could compact those but they cannot be in a bag when they go into the recycling truck picks them up, they have to be loose in the big rolling bin.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:35 AM

5,321 posts, read 3,204,475 times
What are the reasons someone would need a trash compactor? Not meant to be a wise crack...curious. Do you have to bring your garbage to the landfill and want to bring the most trash in the smallest space or are there other reasons?

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2019, 10:15 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
What are the reasons someone would need a trash compactor? Not meant to be a wise crack...curious. Do you have to bring your garbage to the landfill and want to bring the most trash in the smallest space or are there other reasons?

Thanks!
Garbage taken to the dump is charged by weight, not volume.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:28 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
I could use one since my garbage bins get full quick and compacting would help.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:41 AM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times
I want to install one too if I can retrofit it into my existing cabinets without major carpentry. When I was I kid I loved it because I only had to take the trash out once a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House