Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 04:54 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times

Advertisements

ALSO

If your existing thermostat has a jumper between any of the terminals. Please do not transfer that to the Nest.

That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 06:13 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
ermostat without paying for a subscription? What's the price of that unit? Okay then.

WARNING.

No matter what anyone tells you, a unit running 24 hours a day (even in high 90's weather), not able to cool down the house past 76 degrees is NOT EVER normal. And you will NOT save money with the Nest if this is the case

I cannot tell you how many a/c techs have told me not to expect my a/c unit to cool off my house more than 20 degrees lower than the outside temperature. Ludicrous. I know people that have their a/c at 70 degrees when it is 98 degrees outside.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:14 AM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
What about this:

Old 07-18-2019, 09:04 AM

8 posts, read 4,441 times
I can only listen to about 15 seconds of this guy. Maybe I'll try again later!

Old 07-18-2019, 09:06 AM

8 posts, read 4,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
When you are responding if you scroll down to "additional options" and click on manage attachments you should be able to upload jpeg pics of both your current t stat wiring and the air handler.

I see no additional options here.

Air handler? - what exactly is that? Is that the part of the unit with the filter that's inside?

As I said, I'm clueless about this stuff!

Old 07-18-2019, 11:09 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2300 View Post
As I said, I'm clueless about this stuff!
Most are. Which is why I made the comments I did.

I'll repeat: Stick with the basic controls.
However wonderful some 'tech' might actually be ... most, like these, are just a solution looking for a problem.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:10 AM

19 posts, read 14,388 times
i first installed a nest with my new heat pump several years ago only to discover that it wasn't compatible with it. Nest customer support actually advised me to return it to Amazon and get a different brand of thermostat, so i did and went with an Ecobee and I LOVE it. It is so customizable and once it's hooked up then there are lots of options. I got several remote sensors for it including an outdoors one so it will base runtime on the actual outside temp by the house instead of by my zipcode. knock on wood, it's been working great for 5 years now. I have no idea what kinda lifespan these things have but hopefully many more years!!!

Old 07-18-2019, 11:16 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'll repeat: Stick with the basic controls.
However wonderful some 'tech' might actually be ... most, like these, are just a solution looking for a problem.
I regret being able to rep you only once for this.

Yep, uber-stats do an absolutely amazing range of things. 98% of which are essentially useless. But this kind of 'fifty-seven functions in one' nonsense, headed by There's An App For It!, is just marketing-driven feature creep leaching bux from the marks.

Note that I write as an electronics designer who appreciates the convenience of good tech, has designed hardware user interfaces and remote control systems, doesn't think most remotes are indulgent and built two 'smart houses' when it was a nuts-and-bolts effort, not a shop-aisle-6-at-Lowe's job.

And has a new thermostat that has an on-off switch and up-down buttons, and thinks that's a little fancy for the simple, day-after-day job it does. I can't conceive of a need to pull out my phone and have a conversation with it.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:55 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I cannot tell you how many a/c techs have told me not to expect my a/c unit to cool off my house more than 20 degrees lower than the outside temperature. Ludicrous. I know people that have their a/c at 70 degrees when it is 98 degrees outside.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I don't know where they got that number, but it works something like this:

20 degree difference between return air and vent air, maybe. But you're not sucking in that air from the outside, are you?

Home HVAC is like a car's a/c stuck on recirculate. Once the cabin (home) air begins cooling down, you'd expect the unit to cool it further. It may take some time, but it should get you there, every time.

Want to prove them wrong? Get a window unit and see how cold those babies get!

Old 07-18-2019, 12:06 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
I have 4 of these in my home. 3 forced air gas/AC units and a heat pump. With various pets I don’t want or need geofencing and wild temperature swings but wanted some basic scheduling and WiFi capability.

Plus for the non-heat pump units there isn’t a C wire, so they run perfectly fine off of batteries.

Zero sex appeal compared to Nest but for $100 each very serviceable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House