Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 04:30 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times

Advertisements

I have a 35 inch closet that I want to put a 28.25 depth dryer into. It vents in the back. Will that be enough room in the back?

Spend a frustrating day at the appliance store with a sales guy telling me it wasn't enough, but was trying to sell me a 25 inch depth compact dryer.

Seems to me that is plenty of room.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 05:25 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
That's probably short- gotta have enough room for the flex pipe to "elbow" w/o collapsing.

If you have a "dryer box"- that helps a lot by eliminating at least some "elbow" problems. Keep in mind that you have to have enough flex to attach both ends AND be able to get out from behind the dryer- so that flex has to have some place to go!

Old 07-17-2019, 06:44 PM

The set up is a little different. My vent pipe is beside my dryer all the way to the floor. So the flex pipe would come out from behind slightly and take a direct right to the pipe. So the space would been to be roughly the with of the pipe?

The wall behind the dryer is concrete (basement).

Old 07-17-2019, 07:08 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
A lot of dryers have the option to route the vent out through the side, or even the bottom, rather than the back. This eliminates the need to keep the dryer out from the back wall. Does that work in your case?

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Applianc...vZc3q1Z1z0v5jy

Old 07-17-2019, 07:10 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Whatever did the users manual say? It has to be enough space for the dryer vent pipe, at least.
It's also explained here:
https://www.hunker.com/13410100/how-...-machine-dryer

In short: On top of the physical space a washer or dryer takes up, it needs additional space called clearance. It's recommended that there's at least one inch of space around a washer or dryer to allow for proper air circulation. This space also helps minimize noise transfer.
The other aspect to take into consideration is leaving adequate space behind your washer or dryer. Both washers and dryer require significant space for their water hoses and hookups. Dryers also need extra space for adequate ventilation. Around six inches of space behind your washer and dryer is ideal.

Space can be saved behind a dryer by installing a periscope dryer vent. This helps ventilate the areas quickly and thus allows the dryer to sit closer to the wall.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:20 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
The dryer vent pie is 4". The periscope vents are thinner and can be configured to likely fit your space. It will be tight, but will probably work.
I just measured my laundry closet and its 36" deep, but my dryer is only about 25" deep. I have a lot of room behind my dryer.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:39 PM

403 posts, read 272,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
The dryer vent pie is 4". The periscope vents are thinner and can be configured to likely fit your space. It will be tight, but will probably work.
I just measured my laundry closet and its 36" deep, but my dryer is only about 25" deep. I have a lot of room behind my dryer.
This right here. You need a periscope vent.

Like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dundas-J...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I actually had one at my last place that I ran the vent behind the washer to the vent just to make the doors and everything work in a under-stairs laundry cabinet.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
The dryer vent pie is 4"
I wasn't sure if this was counted in the depth calculation of the dryer. I have seen the side vented dryers but I don't like any of the dryers that have that feature.

The periscope vent won't work for me because the vent pipe that I have goes all the way to the ground and sits just to the right of the space for the washer and dryer. So I would either have to get new piping or the dryer would have to be in a place i can't get to it.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:56 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Well, you need enough space for the vent flex duct to make one or two 90 degree bends (the layout is not totally clear from your description). It sounds like you've got a smidge more than 6" clearance back there, which seems like it ought to be enough. If you don't have ceramic tile under the dryer, I would consider nailing a cleat to the floor so the dryer can't gradually walk back and crimp the hose.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:43 AM

403 posts, read 272,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I wasn't sure if this was counted in the depth calculation of the dryer. I have seen the side vented dryers but I don't like any of the dryers that have that feature.

The periscope vent won't work for me because the vent pipe that I have goes all the way to the ground and sits just to the right of the space for the washer and dryer. So I would either have to get new piping or the dryer would have to be in a place i can't get to it.
You turn the vent on its side. That’s the exact layout I used to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House