Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 06:10 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,507,669 times

Advertisements

I would warn them it is stupid and dangerous. If that did not work I would call the power company and the police. Then I would take my smartphone and laugh at them telling them from a distance telling them everyone on the internet is going to get a kick out of watching them fry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 06:59 AM

5,104 posts, read 6,034,979 times
Our town was looking at moving the overhead lines along Main Street to underground as part of a Streetscape project (refurbishment of the state highway in town) The power company told us it would be 'at least 25 million' to do the mile and a half involved and that did not include the homeowner cost to change their service from overhead to below ground. That also did not include cost of telephone or cable changes. This did not include repaving since the State was already doing that. The town decided not to move the lines.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:41 AM

24,111 posts, read 10,438,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Your house line. Mains are the price I quoted if you're undergrounding existing ones. That's the loaded cost which includes repaving, replacing landscaping, pole removal and disposal, ancillary and additional costs.

Did you have to upgrade your house to then current code or was it a new build?
New built on acreage.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:44 AM

45,043 posts, read 60,074,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Our town was looking at moving the overhead lines along Main Street to underground as part of a Streetscape project (refurbishment of the state highway in town) The power company told us it would be 'at least 25 million' to do the mile and a half involved and that did not include the homeowner cost to change their service from overhead to below ground. That also did not include cost of telephone or cable changes. This did not include repaving since the State was already doing that. The town decided not to move the lines.
Yeah, but that guy over there got it done at his house for a thousand.

You and I have an advantage here since we've been dealing with it for a couple or three decades on a municipal level. We, therefore, know what cost basis and factors we're dealing with.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:47 AM

45,043 posts, read 60,074,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
I would warn them it is stupid and dangerous. If that did not work I would call the power company and the police. Then I would take my smartphone and laugh at them telling them from a distance telling them everyone on the internet is going to get a kick out of watching them fry.
Here's the thing, not everyone is an imbecile. There does happen to be some of us who know how to do ****. Much more than the utility tree crew here recently that dropped limbs on a couple cars.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:55 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,118,910 times
Stupid of your neighbor.

I'd be calling the utility emergency number myself and reporting your neighbor. That should get you off the hook and a utility person may come running.

Since this is days ago, what did you do?

Last edited by JanND; 07-21-2019 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: added text

Old 07-21-2019, 10:29 AM

10,845 posts, read 7,249,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Most of inner Houston has overhead lines, the suburbs have a mix of methods.

Burying lines costs up to $5 million per mile, and requires tearing up streets and digging up people's yards. Toss in the fact that ratepayers don't want to pay for the move, and it's hard to bury lines easily.

Not here in Houston. The utility owns everything outside the meter, and that applies to gas or electric. We looked at upgrading our panel to 200 amps, and the new line from the pole would ahve been free.
We just upgraded our panel in Tucson. We were responsible for (but nobody said "owned") everything from their power pole, including a smaller pole on our property which holds the meter. Nothing was free, and they even tried to make us replace our pole because it is only 20' tall.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:43 AM

11,156 posts, read 15,941,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
People still have overhead wires coming into their house from a pole?! I've seen that in really old movies but didn't think something like that even existed today. Every house I've ever owned had underground utilities, including electric.
Aren't you the same person who said that he's never seen a server in a restaurant in the United States bring a portable credit card machine to the table to complete the billing transaction?

I think you need to start spending some more time in the Lower 48, lol.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:12 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,818,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Here's the thing, not everyone is an imbecile. There does happen to be some of us who know how to do ****. Much more than the utility tree crew here recently that dropped limbs on a couple cars.
The problem is imbeciles are too stupid to know they are imbeciles and sometimes you can’t tell an imbecile from someone who knows what they are doing by simply looking at them.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:13 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,818,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Aren't you the same person who said that he's never seen a server in a restaurant in the United States bring a portable credit card machine to the table to complete the billing transaction?

I think you need to start spending some more time in the Lower 48, lol.
I’ve never had that happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House