Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 09:24 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What does one do with all that acreage, keep it up...become a farmer? I lived in the East until 1967 when I moved to So. Cal. and we don't have the miles of acerage to take care of...this all just hit me in recent months all that land. For what?

What about a nice condo with little upkeep as your first in this part of your life. Maybe you like to do a lot of work though.
2.25 acres is nothing. My front lawn is close to that size. Acreage like that supports a real garden, fruit and nut trees, a games area, and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 09:45 PM

496 posts, read 445,400 times
If it fits your needs and it's well within your affordability range, I'd say it's fine. But yes the value is within the land.

I will say this, a 20 year old mobile home in 2019 is usually FAR better than a 20 year old mobile home was 20 years ago. They are built better than they were in the 70s and 80s, but as others mentioned they aren't built as sturdy as a site built house and nothing will be the same. Doors, cabinets, etc are all custom made by the manufacturer to be as lightweight as possible.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:25 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
2.25 acres is nothing. My front lawn is close to that size. Acreage like that supports a real garden, fruit and nut trees, a games area, and more.
Oh my parents house growing up had a huge back yard and mom did all the work or had to hire someone to cut the grass and do all the weeding...I never thought of it until lately about all the waste and work. Oh well, that's the past in my life. No one was ever in the backyard, just a bunch of grass and a little side garden mom made but that was it.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:55 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
If people are telling you that it's a bad investment because "it's just a trailer", that's because most people will view it as such. I know that I did. The close-up photo that you posted made it look a lot nicer than the Google street view. It has very little "curb" appeal--even though there are not curbs on that road. It doesn't help that across the street is an older trailer. It gives the area a rather depressed feeling. The general area might look nicer in person (the Google photos were taken on a cloudy, rather dreary-looking day), but personally I'd be looking elsewhere. Of course, it's your decision and you need to weigh your current housing expenses against what this would be.

Many people say that you shouldn't consider your housing choice as an investment, but i still feel that you should have an eye on what the property may be worth in the future. That's one of the better ways to get ahead. At that price, I don't see this as a good value and I would be looking at other options. Whatever you do, don't make any hasty decisions.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:43 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Without knowing anything about the area, it seems that there are actual stick built homes for sale in St. Clair, MO. Is there a reason you aren't considering them? Even if you had to put a lot of work into them, that is usually a better investment.

I once worked for a company that trained the sales force for other companies. One of our clients was a mobile home manufacturer. I was left disgusted by the industry (or at least this one company) and their sales practices. They prey on the working poor.

Unless your plan is to build a better home on that land, I personally would keep looking.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:10 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
... Your realtor wants to sell the place, so she's likely to say just about anything.
Their realtor is working for THEM not for the party selling the home (then it wouldn't be THEIR realtor)... so why would they say just about anything. Every realtor we've worked with gave us their honest opinion about every house we visited and never tried to upsell anything... plus why should they, they aren't trying to sell you a house, they're helping you buy one on your terms.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:54 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
It appears the trailer is under contract. Did our OP put in an offer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House