Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 02:53 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times

Advertisements

Mexican plumbing is different. Municipal water is not pressurized. It comes into you house's large roof tank and you can either rely on gravity to get it to your house fixtures, or you can add a pressure pump.

We have a pressure tank (had one also at the smaller house we owned in MEX in the early 2000's, too). But our current house is much larger and spread out Hacienda-style, The farthest fixture from the pump is the kitchen faucet (sigh). The water pressure there is abysmal (while the pressure in the 3 bathrooms is dynamite). We redid the kitchen after the purchase and installed an expensive sink and faucet from HomeDepot Mexico. The faucet is very tall, single stem and has a sprayer head that pulls out of the faucet itself.

My DH thinks that ANY faucet with a pull out sprayer will cause at least some diminishment in the flow. IS THAT TRUE???

We are in US for 10 days now and he is looking at under counter pumps....but what he saw at Lowes and HD don't have good reviews. Plus we remain reluctant to give up the spray head on the faucet.

Anyone here ever experience a low flow with a spray kitchen faucet, then swap it out with another brand of spray faucet and get better pressure?

Other thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 08:20 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Your husband is right. The new faucets are designed to be low flow and won't operate well without adequate pressure. An auxiliary pump can make sense, or as an alternative a small well pump setup will give enough pressure - if you have the space for the pump and bladder tank. A plumbing supply store will have better advice and options than a big box store.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:38 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
You don't have a "faucet" problem- you have a "pressure" problem- so the "best faucet" isn't going to fix your problem. With that said, all faucets made/manufactured or sold in US have restricters in them that limit the output to about 2gals/min. They also deminish the pressure output. If the restricter can be removed it will improve the output pressure.

But in your particular situation I don't see a tremendous improvement because of a short head pressure- that's where having a pump/pressure tank helps.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:46 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You don't have a "faucet" problem- you have a "pressure" problem- so the "best faucet" isn't going to fix your problem. With that said, all faucets made/manufactured or sold in US have restricters in them that limit the output to about 2gals/min. They also deminish the pressure output. If the restricter can be removed it will improve the output pressure.

But in your particular situation I don't see a tremendous improvement because of a short head pressure- that's where having a pump/pressure tank helps.
Partly disagree. There is resistance to flow at the faucet and resistance of the line between the source and the faucet. Apparently there is plenty of pressure at the source, the problem may be pressure drop along the line.

It may be that OP needs to move the kitchen closer to the source or increase the diameter of the pipe.

Since is different faucet is easier and cheaper I suppose it makes sense to try that first. Even better would be checking the flow out of the pipe with the faucet removed. (Messy, though).

Old 07-25-2019, 12:36 PM

4,842 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Quote:

I'll agree that the best won't fix it... but likely be less of a problem than the 'less best'.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:30 PM

After a re-read of the OP's post one other thing came to mind...

Is the present pressure tank the right size and is it actually operating properly? I know the bladder inside can rupture- but could it also be going bad (a hole- just not a complete rupture)?

Old 07-25-2019, 02:48 PM

The pressure tank is the right size and it is new.

We put the new pressure tank in before we tackled the new kitchen. The old kitchen faucet was old....1970s or 1980's??? It was plain jane, no sprayer and no extended height. And the water pressure was much better (i.e., normal) than what we are getting with the new faucet.

Our new faucet has pulldown sprayer, and it's also very very very tall. It's MY opinion that the height of the faucet is the major cause of the decreased pressure. It's my DH's opinion that it is the pulldown sprayer that is decreasing the pressure.

Who's right?? Either of us??

Old 07-27-2019, 07:12 AM

The design is probably not the problem...

As I previously mentioned, it's probably the flow restricter. A faucet from the 70's most likely didn't have a restricter. Remove the restricter from new faucet and you'll find a flowing nirvana!

Old 07-27-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
The design is probably not the problem...

As I previously mentioned, it's probably the flow restricter. A faucet from the 70's most likely didn't have a restricter. Remove the restricter from new faucet and you'll find a flowing nirvana!
We tried, sort of. When you unscrew the pull down sprayer, there's a skinny hose inside and that's it, I think. Or did we miss something???

Old 07-27-2019, 11:46 AM

403 posts, read 272,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We tried, sort of. When you unscrew the pull down sprayer, there's a skinny hose inside and that's it, I think. Or did we miss something???
It's usually in the head of the sprayer itself - is that what you meant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House