Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 01:19 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not really using top freezer as the alternative, i have a side by side and that is what id stick with.

i go in the freezer plenty. i dont want to dig through a bottom freezer for stuff.

i am aware that people seem to have this preference, i dont get it. i think the previous response i got was that they got more cubic feet of storage with the bottom freezer. but its so much more pleasant getting stuff in the side by side.
In my experience, the side by side has more freezer space. While i agree with you about digging through a bottom freezer, when I replace my current side by side, I will be getting a french door with bottom freezer because I have a larger upright freezer in the garage, so I won't need to keep all that much in the inside freezer, and should be able to keep it organized enough to not need to dig through it very much.

And having the width of the french door fridge will be worth it - I can't fit a standard pizza box into my current fridge, or some of my larger baking dishes, or if I wanted to get a deli platter or tray of sandwiches or something like that, none of it fits into my fridge. So since I have the garage freezer for longer term storage, the width of the fridge is now more valuable to me than the side by side freezer compartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 02:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
We did it. We ordered our new appliances this morning. I ordered a new LG wall oven, microwave oven, fridge, and Bosch dishwasher. We went with counter depth on the fridge. I opted for no in door beverage dispenser and saved $1000 or so dollars. I also accepted with more or less good grace not getting quite the oven I wanted. But I admit the $1000 savings on that purchase is worth down scaling. So, we chose to not spend $2000 that we could have spent, but we are getting some nice appliances.

We do plan on buying a garage fridge. You know, I had forgotten that many people often have two fridges, or at least a separate freezer in basement or garage. I plan to keep meat in the freezer and possibly other staples, like bread and broth.

Back in the olden days, fridges had bottom freezers. My mother had a yellow GE with a bottom, pull out drawer, for years. I read somewhere that bottom freezers were better, for some reason, so about twenty years ago (the last time I bought a fridge) I bought a bottom freezer Amana. Then I inherited a similar Amana when I moved here. I like bottom freezer fridges. I do get to buy what I like.

We are also getting a rebate on our dishwasher. Bosch is rebating most of our installation costs. And the cost of having the guy come to our house and measure the oven space has also been rebated.

We have few appliance buying options where I live. So far dealing with Lowe’s has been a positive experience.

I really appreciate all of your posts. Thank you for giving me the benefit of your experience.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:08 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We did it. We ordered our new appliances this morning. I ordered a new LG wall oven, microwave oven, fridge, and Bosch dishwasher. We went with counter depth on the fridge. I opted for no in door beverage dispenser and saved $1000 or so dollars. I also accepted with more or less good grace not getting quite the oven I wanted. But I admit the $1000 savings on that purchase is worth down scaling. So, we chose to not spend $2000 that we could have spent, but we are getting some nice appliances.

We do plan on buying a garage fridge. You know, I had forgotten that many people often have two fridges, or at least a separate freezer in basement or garage. I plan to keep meat in the freezer and possibly other staples, like bread and broth.

Back in the olden days, fridges had bottom freezers. My mother had a yellow GE with a bottom, pull out drawer, for years. I read somewhere that bottom freezers were better, for some reason, so about twenty years ago (the last time I bought a fridge) I bought a bottom freezer Amana. Then I inherited a similar Amana when I moved here. I like bottom freezer fridges. I do get to buy what I like.

We are also getting a rebate on our dishwasher. Bosch is rebating most of our installation costs. And the cost of having the guy come to our house and measure the oven space has also been rebated.

We have few appliance buying options where I live. So far dealing with Lowe’s has been a positive experience.

I really appreciate all of your posts. Thank you for giving me the benefit of your experience.
Congrats! I'm glad to hear you didn't go for LG dishwasher. I had nothing but problems with mine from day one. We finally gave up and just threw it out after a year of dealing with their 'repairmen'. . I hated to throw it out because the inside was all stainless steel.. but it just didn't want to work right.
There was obviously something wrong with the electronic part of it and none of the repair guys could ever fix it.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:

I remember on the show Mama’s Family back in the 80’s there was a big pink bottom freezer fridge in the kitchen. I always use to think it was so weird.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:56 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Congrats! I'm glad to hear you didn't go for LG dishwasher. I had nothing but problems with mine from day one. We finally gave up and just threw it out after a year of dealing with their 'repairmen'. . I hated to throw it out because the inside was all stainless steel.. but it just didn't want to work right.
There was obviously something wrong with the electronic part of it and none of the repair guys could ever fix it.
I have heard not great things about LG or Samsung dishwashers as well. I have a Bosch and love it.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:08 PM

34,928 posts, read 56,924,455 times
None of the appliances today are well built. They seem to last a couple years and then have problems. Our Samsung range is 4 years old and the oven died. Needs a new relay board for $500. The ice maker on our 8 year old Kitchenaid French door refrigerator also died. Another $300 (with a $100 discount for fixing both together). Consumer Reports current issue has a big article on appliance reliability. I suggest the OP check it out. Jay

Old 07-25-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I have heard not great things about LG or Samsung dishwashers as well. I have a Bosch and love it.
We bought, and loved Bosch for the house where we used to live. We wanted the new and improved model as long as we were replacing everything else.

These are quiet dishwashers. Remember how the old ones sounded like they were grinding glass when they ran?

Old 07-25-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
None of the appliances today are well built. They seem to last a couple years and then have problems. Our Samsung range is 4 years old and the oven died. Needs a new relay board for $500. The ice maker on our 8 year old Kitchenaid French door refrigerator also died. Another $300 (with a $100 discount for fixing both together). Consumer Reports current issue has a big article on appliance reliability. I suggest the OP check it out. Jay
As it happens we did. LG seems to rank well across all appliances. This article was a major factor in choosing LG for three of the four appliances we bought.

Of course you never know. But you have to use something to use as a guide, so that article helped us in our thinking.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:42 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
Quote:
As it happens we did. LG seems to rank well across all appliances. This article was a major factor in choosing LG for three of the four appliances we bought.

Of course you never know. But you have to use something to use as a guide, so that article helped us in our thinking.
We haven't had any problems with our LG fridge, LG microwave, or the LG stove.. I love my stove.

It was just the darn LG dishwasher. That's why I said I was glad to hear you didn't buy that one. I wish I had read the article you did before I purchased it. It would have saved me a lot of money and aggravation.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:43 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
Going counter depth was the only choice for me. I rarely need much freezer space. I have a french door GE with bottom freezer. The fridge part is just the same volume, but better organization, than the side by side we had in our last home. I hated that side by side.

Now, I know you have your heart set on the LG, but be aware that unless you live in a good area you are going to have a difficult time getting it serviced, if needed. The LGs and the Samsungs feel so very nice, but I would check out how many authorized service people there are near you before buying. The GE wasn't my favorite but I know parts and labor will be easier to find.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House