Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 03:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

We are replacing four kitchen appliances. The fridge we like is an LG counter depth, without water dispenser, but with icemaker. Freezer is on the bottom. If we buy this fridge, we will lose freezer space, and some fridge space. The loss of freezer space bugs me the most. But, there are only the two of us, after all. Perhaps, we could get along with only about 2/3 the space we have now.

I do freeze chicken broth, bread, and some meat and poultry. I would simply have to freeze less stuff. We have talked a bit about adding a small freezer in the garage.

Those of you who have a counter depth fridge, tell me about the pros and cons.

The main reason I am thinking about getting a counter depth, is because the fridge is visible in three rooms, and the counter depth model is much less intrusive. However, even as I type all this out, I am asking myself "why is this even a question? You need a regular depth fridge." But I really, really like the counter depth fridge.

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 03:40 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
We have a counter depth fridge from IKEA and overall we like it. Visually it fits the space really well (and it is the quietest fridge I have ever lived with surprisingly - which is important since everything is so open). It is just the two of us, so space isn't a huge issue. We notice the lack of freezer space some, but feel we have quite ample space in the normal fridge section.

Honestly the biggest thing I miss is thru-the-door ice. I'm a home cocktail guy and we like to entertain. Now I have to open the whole freezer to get some ice for the shaker and again for the drink itself sometimes. My solution for entertaining is to just make room and get a bag of ice and fill up an insulated ice bucket that I can use until it's out and then refill it from the freezer, to avoid opening our freezer 20x while entertaining.

I also have to utilize a separate device to crush ice if I want to.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:49 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
We had a "counter depth" Whirlpool fridge.
I hated it because it stuck out too much.

Replaced it with a Sub-Zero. Because we could.
Replaced the dual-fuel Bosch range with a Wolf gas cooktop and a Miele convection oven.
Replaced the microwave with a Miele speed oven.
Added a Sub-Zero wine fridge.

You tell me if our fridge is visible.

This was the old kitchen built in 2011.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:54 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times
We had a counter depth refrigerator before our house fire and will be replacing it with another one. I did have a smaller upright freezer in garage, and there are only 2 of us. I would never use a regular depth refrigerator. They stick out too much.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:36 PM

325 posts, read 163,774 times
i have a samsung counter depth fridge side by side and i love it. it has a lot of stoarge space in it as well. and it's been good with only one issue in 6 years when all it needed was a recharge of freon.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:58 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmfan2018 View Post
i have a samsung counter depth fridge side by side and i love it. it has a lot of stoarge space in it as well. and it's been good with only one issue in 6 years when all it needed was a recharge of freon.
Well, I can't speak to the depth, but needing refrigerant in only 6 years is unacceptable for a hermetic system, in my opinion. Well made refrigerators go decades on their initial refrigerant charge.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:06 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Be aware that "Counter Depth" means a whole lot of different things to different manufactures. I shopped for one just a few months ago and learned that the term "counter depth" could mean anything from the front of the doors Actually matching to my 24.5" counters all the way up to and past a "regular" fridge in depth (but with all the added cost thanks to the marketing). The biggie is that nearly no-one measures "counter depth" to the furthest point out... that's the handle (for those that have them). Most measure just the main body, so the doors stick out... and the handles as well if they have them.

We never could find an option that was under $5k, which is in the "stupid money" range for us (that's more than a years worth of mortgage payments, just as a reference). What we ended up with was just a smaller Cu/Ft fridge that was within an inch of most of the "counter depth" units. Took a little adjusting to get used to less space, but the end result is mostly just not buying the jumbo sized condiments. The fridge is packed full on grocery day too, but there's never been not enough room. We already leaned heavily on an upright freezer, and a chest freezer before that for ~15 years so there was no real difference there.

I assume you've triple-checked the Total dimensions of any unit you're considering (if not, do so before committing). You'll get used to the smaller fridge space without much issue, and find no difficulty if you add a freezer. Like you, there are only 2 of us and a bigger fridge was a nice luxury but hardly needed. Now, if you're only shopping once a month (my folks do this, but it's also 90 miles one way to anything bigger than a quickie mart), it might be more of a challenge. But weekly shopping is a non-issue for even the most avid of cooks... or at least I don't find it to be an issue and I'm preparing ~15 meals a week for the 2 of us.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:43 PM

30 posts, read 14,827 times
When we replaced our fridge, we bought a counter depth fridge. Although not as deep, it was wider; therefore, the storage capacity was the same. I think it is 18 cf or so. And it looks so much better by not sticking out into the kitchen space like the old one did.

It is a higher end Whirlpool. It has an indoor ice/water dispenser (my wife really likes it). I think we paid about $1,600 for it at Lowe's about 6 or 7 years ago. It was on sale.

We also have a small upright freezer in the garage (14 or 15 cf).

Old 07-24-2019, 07:59 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
My parents bought a counter depth fridge but only because the kitchen space dictated it was best option. The big con is trying to put anything large in it, pizza box, cake pan etc. The have second "beer fridge" and freezer chest so not a really big deal.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Be aware that "Counter Depth" means a whole lot of different things to different manufactures. I shopped for one just a few months ago and learned that the term "counter depth" could mean anything from the front of the doors Actually matching to my 24.5" counters all the way up to and past a "regular" fridge in depth (but with all the added cost thanks to the marketing). The biggie is that nearly no-one measures "counter depth" to the furthest point out... that's the handle (for those that have them). Most measure just the main body, so the doors stick out... and the handles as well if they have them.

We never could find an option that was under $5k, which is in the "stupid money" range for us (that's more than a years worth of mortgage payments, just as a reference). What we ended up with was just a smaller Cu/Ft fridge that was within an inch of most of the "counter depth" units. Took a little adjusting to get used to less space, but the end result is mostly just not buying the jumbo sized condiments. The fridge is packed full on grocery day too, but there's never been not enough room. We already leaned heavily on an upright freezer, and a chest freezer before that for ~15 years so there was no real difference there.

I assume you've triple-checked the Total dimensions of any unit you're considering (if not, do so before committing). You'll get used to the smaller fridge space without much issue, and find no difficulty if you add a freezer. Like you, there are only 2 of us and a bigger fridge was a nice luxury but hardly needed. Now, if you're only shopping once a month (my folks do this, but it's also 90 miles one way to anything bigger than a quickie mart), it might be more of a challenge. But weekly shopping is a non-issue for even the most avid of cooks... or at least I don't find it to be an issue and I'm preparing ~15 meals a week for the 2 of us.
We know the dimensions of our opening. We have not committed to purchase. We are seriously considering an LG fridge, built in oven, microwave and a Bosch dishwasher. I actually shop twice a week.

I like the idea of buying smaller sizes of condiments. The fridge we are considering has deep shelving in the doors. I am not worried so much about fridge size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House