Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 06:07 PM

17,603 posts, read 17,635,928 times

Advertisements

I know they’re expensive but at my age working in a gas riding mower is getting harder. The other advantage that makes me consider them is heat. I live in hot and humid south Louisiana. As hot as it is outside, the heat from the engine makes it worse.

I’ve read reviews on some models like Ryobi which said the battery lasted through the whole yard cut with power to spare but rode like a go kart over bumps. Are there other models that ride better while still providing good cutting time on battery power? Are the decks on these mowers any easier to remove than on most gas powered riding mowers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 06:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Wouldn't that be great if everyone switched to electric everything? Especially leaf blowers. Gardening sounds used to be so relaxing when I was young...

Old 07-27-2019, 04:21 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
...at my age working in a gas riding mower is getting harder.
What does that mean? What do you suppose would be 'easier' with electricity?

Old 07-27-2019, 09:23 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No gas
No oil
No spark plug
No worries- Be Happy!

Old 07-27-2019, 01:46 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
I think the Ryobi uses lead acid batteries, so that means it needs to stay plugged in year round and anytime it’s not being used. Not a problem if there’s an outlet where you keep the mower, but if you keep it out in a shed with no power it would be an issue.

I have seen some that use lithium ion batteries, but the problem with those is that they don’t like temperature extremes. I have been in some sheds here in the South that are like walking into an oven, and I can’t imagine that would be good for the batteries, same thing for up north with the cold.

I think the ideal environment for either of them would be an attached garage where there’s an electrical outlet next to where the mower is stored.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:15 PM

17,603 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Injured my shoulder in the navy back in 1996 and it’s getting worse. My knees and ankles also aren’t what they use to be. I can lift a push mower to a work table or sit on the floor to work on a push mower. Working on a riding mower is much more difficult for my knees and shoulder. Bought a knee bench with handles to help me stand back up. Some gas riding mowers have very difficult to remove mower decks and they have at least two sets of belts while the electric riding mower I’ve seen have no belts. They also have no air filter, spark plug, oil, and gas.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:12 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I think the Ryobi uses lead acid batteries, so that means it needs to stay plugged in year round and anytime it’s not being used.

Not sure I understand why lead-acid batteries would need to be plugged in constantly. How are the ones for a mower different than a lead-acid battery in a car ?

Old 07-28-2019, 07:37 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Injured my shoulder in the navy back in 1996 and it’s getting worse.
My knees and ankles also aren’t what they use to be.
Working on a riding mower is much more difficult for my knees and shoulder.
I get this part... Many would use that to justify hiring a lawn service.

oops... forgot the rest:
My point was along the lines of hiring out what we find difficult to do
(in this instance ~ 2-3hours of seasonal maintenance work)
rather than spending chunk money that doesn't (yet) need to be spent.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-28-2019 at 08:34 AM..

Old 07-28-2019, 09:10 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Not sure I understand why lead-acid batteries would need to be plugged in constantly. How are the ones for a mower different than a lead-acid battery in a car ?
I don’t know, but I looked it up because there was a thread here about it several months ago. I recall Ryobi recommending that it be charging anytime it’s not being used.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:56 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
to reduce our carbon footprint I think we should all go back to scythe's its good exercise...… has no battery at all..... and will be safer...

if young girls can use a scythe...then older men should also be able

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVv597m848s

safe a polar bear...use a scythe!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House