Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 11:00 AM

23,814 posts, read 14,944,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I don’t think my sheets are too expensive. I buy percale at the Company Store. However, I don’t think they last as long as they should.

I can remember sheets lasting 15 years. And I’m sure if I could stand having posies on my bed, I could find sheets that would last that long. But I really like the percale fitted sheets in geometric patterns with a matching duvet covers, which seem to be only available at the Company Store.

And when they rip I repair them. And when the repair doesn’t hold anymore then I try to buy new ones. The soft muted colors of today, the pastels that people seem to prefer are not my taste. I like bold colors. And the Company Store percale sheets that are not part of the match sets system are very rough and scratchy. Not good quality at all.
I agree about the lasting. Back in the olden days, one bought a set of sheets for each bed every couple of years at the January or August white sale. You never had a worn out sheet. Some got thin and were used for something else. I would rather pay more and get good fabric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 01:37 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,789,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The evidence and your opinion are two completely different things.
We might like or not your opinion, but we believe in evidence. Please don't contradict facts if you can't prove to the contrary.
Saying that the Earth is flat doesn't make it flat...
We apparently have different definitions of the word "evidence." Nothing written or linked in this discussion shows scientific evidence that polyester sheets are unhealthy.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:22 PM

403 posts, read 270,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
We apparently have different definitions of the word "evidence." Nothing written or linked in this discussion shows scientific evidence that polyester sheets are unhealthy.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25889781

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1023084508.htm

https://ec.europa.eu/environment/int..._509na1_en.pdf

Here. Science.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:28 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,576,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I use the Smart Silk pillow Protector. It is a silk filled cotton pillow cover and I cannot praise it enough. Very, very expensive, but I got mine at more than 60% off, gosh I miss my little Home Store. It was one of those ‘treasure hunt’ stores and it had amazing discounts on very nice, often high-end home furnishings. Sigh. Closed down about 6 months ago.
We got those at BB&B and they weren't expensive. Really helps to keep long hair smooth and detangled.
Even if you do slide around a bit, LOL.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:29 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,530,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's common knowledge. If she didn't quote that site it would have been another site. Polyester against your skin isn't too good. The chemicals too--I once bought some sheets that I couldn't use even after several washings because they made me itch so much. Yes, they are treated with some nasty chemicals and you don't want that on your skin or to be breathing it in either. We wonder why there is so much cancer--well, it all adds up, little by little.
I'm very frugal, but I use sheets that are only 100% cotton. I like crisp cotton in summer; it feels cooler.

I've read that thread count, while important, isn't as important as people think. It's the weave and thickness and things like that, that are as important (I assume once you get past a certain basic thread count).

I love those sheets that are cotton but are kinda shiny and crisp. I don't know how those are made, to make them that way. Maybe it's the weave and thickness? They feel cool against my skin in the summer. These sheets have held up pretty well, except the elastic in one corner of the bottom sheet has given way. Bummer.

I have some sheets that are not Egyptian cotton, but feel so soft. They weren't pricey. Again, I don't know how they make them so soft. I guess it's the weave? They have held up well over the years.

I have cotton sheets that were mid-priced from Target. They've held up well over the years, although they did shrink more than my other sheets. I can still get the bottom sheet on, though.

Price doesn't guarantee a higher quality sheet.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:28 PM

The question here is "are polyester sheets harmful to human health?"

Congratulations, you have added three links to the discussion claiming they are "Science."

Fail! The word sheet or bedsheet is not to be found in a single one of them. One link does not even refer to human health. Double fail.

Feel free to interpret whatever you read any way you see fit but to allege that in some way something in these citations supports the contention that sleeping on polyester sheets is harmful to human health is ridiculous, that is, worthy of ridicule.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:55 PM

403 posts, read 270,484 times
Quote:

Congratulations, you have added three links to the discussion claiming they are "Science."

Fail! The word sheet or bedsheet is not to be found in a single one of them. One link does not even refer to human health. Double fail.

Feel free to interpret whatever you read any way you see fit but to allege that in some way something in these citations supports the contention that sleeping on polyester sheets is harmful to human health is ridiculous, that is, worthy of ridicule.
So clothing and bedsheets have nothing in common? Ok, good luck with that logic. Your failure to be able to extrapolate data is not my concern. Do you even understand what dermal exposure is, or do I need to send you a dictionary as well?

Old 07-30-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollieMan View Post
So clothing and bedsheets have nothing in common? Ok, good luck with that logic. Your failure to be able to extrapolate data is not my concern. Do you even understand what dermal exposure is, or do I need to send you a dictionary as well?
There is no data. Simply linking a bunch of websites does nothing to advance your argument. If you believe there is a shred of evidence or a single fact within any of them that supports the statement that sleeping on polyester sheets is unhealthy for humans then simply quote or highlight that data.

Reading headlines and titles may satisfy your curiosity but it does nothing to prove the point you appear to be endorsing.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:26 AM

15,590 posts, read 10,327,145 times
I used to buy expensive, high thread count, 100% cotton sheets: $500 for flat, fitted, two king pillow cases. I decided to try the Costco Kirkland brand, 540 tc, 100% cotton, sateen sheets on a whim a few years ago. $70 a set (flat, fitted, 4 king pillowcases), feel great, wash well, fit my bed. Never bought the expensive sheets again.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:45 AM

61,418 posts, read 86,419,982 times
Quote:

Look, instead of denying the facts, why don't you show us scientific evidence that says polyester is healthy and not toxic or made of toxic materials.
If you don't have anything to says that prove the contrary, just stop and go back on topic.

Last edited by elnina; 07-30-2019 at 08:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House