Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 05:45 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times

Advertisements

For those concerned about what is in their textiles, there is an organization that performs independent testing for harmful substances.

I learned about this company when looking at sheets from Target. I noticed the statement "Oeko-Tex certified for no harmful substances." Under that it says

"We’re committed to making products better for you, and the world. This product is Standard 100 by OEKO-TEX certified, meaning that everything from the dyes and fabrics to accessories like buttons and zippers are tested and verified as free from harmful levels of more than 300 substances."

Here is the Oeko-Tex website to read more: https://www.oeko-tex.com/en/consumer...d_reasons.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 06:04 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
If you've ever slept on 800-count Egyptian cotton sheets, you'd know. They feel so incredibly soft and smooth, almost like gliding across air, compared to the 300-400 thread count, which feel scratchy to me, even after many washes, but I suppose I'm spoiled.

I used to buy those expensive sheets, yes, a couple hundred for Cali King, but not nearly as much for queen, but since Amazon has been carrying the microfiber sheets in the the "Amazon's Choice" category for a few years now, no need to spend much at all.
Ok, this is something that bothers me immensely because it's repeated as gospel.

Muslin is thread counts between 128 to 130 threads to the square inch, In the past one could find high quality muslin sheets, pillow cases and fabric (for housewives that sewed their own linens), high as 140 threads to the square inch. Pequot, Dan River and a few others were famous for their high thread count muslin bed linen.

Percale runs 180 to 250 threads to the square inch, with high quality in the 200 to 250 range.

In either case combed cotton produces a smoother and more silky fabric than not.

Cotton thread is what it is; and even the finest Egyptian, Sea Island or whatever maxes out at about 300 threads to the square inch. You can only pack a finite number of threads into a square inch of fabric. What matters more is the quality of threads, with long staple cotton better than short.

When you see vastly inflated thread counts of >400, 500 or even 700 that means thinner thread were used in order to fit more of them into a square inch. This does *NOT* equal better quality, longevity and so forth because thinner threads will wear faster.

For hundreds of years housewives, hospitals, institutions, the military, etc.. relied upon muslin bed linen. Again which at higher thread counts and combed cotton lasted the duration. You could boil wash, beat it, put it through wringers, rotary ironers, subject it to chemicals and harsh detergents, and still couldn't kill those linens.

Percale was seen as more upscale, but also wore as well as better quality muslin because of higher thread count. Also since muslin was made from thicker/heavier threads it weighed more (both wet and dry), which meant higher laundry bills from places that charged by the pound. Being made from thicker threads also meant muslin held more water during washing which made drying and ironing more of a chore.

As prices came down more households switched to percale, and or stopped reserving it for say only the master and perhaps guest bedrooms. Not all guests got percale either, only those a housewife rated putting her "best" sheets on that bed.

High thread count percale sheets feel no different nor last any longer than those of < 400 threads per square inch, again the natural range of cotton threads. Indeed some feel ultra high tread count sheets can feel like canvas.

Ironically bed linen called "hotel" are not super high thread count percale, but usually around 200-240, falling within the range of "high quality" percale. These linens are names "hotel" because they are woven and made to withstand heavy use and the industrial laundering they will receive, but yet remain soft, breathable, and high enough quality to give years of service.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Whew, I can't read all those posts - sorry!

Like Bugsy Pal stated, once you get "past" a certain thread count, it can become a moot point due to the very, very thin threads required to reach that thread count.

I don't personally prefer slippery sheets - I prefer crisp sheets, so I stick with percale, and once again Bugsy is right about thread count.

And the sheets have to be 100 percent cotton. And since we don't get very cold winters here, I do not want flannel or fleece sheets.

I was looking for the feel of the sheets my grandmother used for decades, and which I still have, even though her beds were all double beds and mine are all queens or a king size in the master. I just loved those thick, crisp cotton sheets that she would dry out on the line. Then I found percale!

I used to buy all my percale sheet sets from Bed Bath and Beyond. However, I noticed that we were buying a set about every two years because as someone else mentioned, at some point the fitted sheet would suddenly just "give way" and we'd stick a foot right through a tear. For a king size bed, these sheet sets were not cheap but they also weren't hundreds of dollars - we could nearly always wait for a sale. But while I loved the crispness of those percale sheets, I wondered if there could be another option out there? (Our guest beds don't get the daily wear and tear so a set of percale sheets on those will last years and years and years.)

So - we bit the bullet and bought a Boll and Branch sheet set. Wow - I sure hope we don't have to replace THESE every few years!

I noticed the differences right away. For starters, the hems on everything - sheets and pillowcases - are all VERY deep. I mean, at least double the depth of the sheets we'd been buying. Everything is a very generous size. I could PROBABLY use the regular/queen pillowcases on our king sized pillows but I had already ordered the king size pillowcases. The depth of the fitted sheet is also very, very generous. We have a super thick mattress with a mattress pad and then a thick mattress cover over it and these sheets fit with some room to spare - I am able to tuck the sheets in on the corners VERY far back under the corner if that makes sense, rather than pulling it super tight.

Even the seams along the sides of the sheets are generous.

I thought that the very generous cut might bother us because the sheets are looser (not pulled as tight) but oh my gosh, they feel GREAT.

We have only had them about six months so time will tell on the wear and tear but they feel fantastic.

They were expensive but we did get them "on sale" and discounted so that took some of the sting out of it.
https://www.bollandbranch.com/collections/sheet-sets

Old 08-04-2019, 04:14 AM

For those that didn't attend summer camp, join the military or attend nursing school, find yourself someone who did and learn how to make beds with only flat sheets.

Mitered/hospital corners are how beds were made for years before the rather modern (American) invention of fitted sheets.

While they do have some benefits in terms of convenience and ease (espeicallly when bed making), there is a reason why hospitals, institutions, hotels, military, convents, etc... used sets of flat sheets. It allows more even wear of linens since the same sheet isn't always on bottom.

Of course there were fancy embroidered, lace trimmed or other decorated sheets that were only used as top sheets. But even then the more plain bottom sheets got even wear since they were constantly rotated.

Until rather recently many European bed linen companies such as Porthault, Frette, Pratesi, etc.. didn't even offer fitted sheets for American (or any other) customers. If you wanted the things flat sheet or sheets were chosen, then sent to shops either in USA , or sent back to Europe where a seamstress turned them into fitted. This or sheets were ordered from Europe but again the flats would be sewn into fitted before order was shipped. Oh and you paid on top of cost for sheet for this work.

Back in the day thrifty housewives and others would prolong bed sheet life (flat) by turning "sides to middle". A flat sheet with worn center area and or damage was split down the length, then turned "sides to middle" and resewn. Now the damaged/worn ends were on the sides while still good part of sheet now was in middle thus extending useful life of sheet.

This however meant sleeping on sheets with a center seam, something not everyone liked. OTOH in days when siblings slept many to a bed that seam was the Minot Line, cross it and you got what was coming to you. *LOL* Usually a sharp elbow or knee. This worked for wives as well am told. *LOL*

Old 08-04-2019, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Whew, I can't read all those posts - sorry!

Like Bugsy Pal stated, once you get "past" a certain thread count, it can become a moot point due to the very, very thin threads required to reach that thread count.

I don't personally prefer slippery sheets - I prefer crisp sheets, so I stick with percale, and once again Bugsy is right about thread count.

And the sheets have to be 100 percent cotton. And since we don't get very cold winters here, I do not want flannel or fleece sheets.

I was looking for the feel of the sheets my grandmother used for decades, and which I still have, even though her beds were all double beds and mine are all queens or a king size in the master. I just loved those thick, crisp cotton sheets that she would dry out on the line. Then I found percale!

I used to buy all my percale sheet sets from Bed Bath and Beyond. However, I noticed that we were buying a set about every two years because as someone else mentioned, at some point the fitted sheet would suddenly just "give way" and we'd stick a foot right through a tear. For a king size bed, these sheet sets were not cheap but they also weren't hundreds of dollars - we could nearly always wait for a sale. But while I loved the crispness of those percale sheets, I wondered if there could be another option out there? (Our guest beds don't get the daily wear and tear so a set of percale sheets on those will last years and years and years.)

So - we bit the bullet and bought a Boll and Branch sheet set. Wow - I sure hope we don't have to replace THESE every few years!

I noticed the differences right away. For starters, the hems on everything - sheets and pillowcases - are all VERY deep. I mean, at least double the depth of the sheets we'd been buying. Everything is a very generous size. I could PROBABLY use the regular/queen pillowcases on our king sized pillows but I had already ordered the king size pillowcases. The depth of the fitted sheet is also very, very generous. We have a super thick mattress with a mattress pad and then a thick mattress cover over it and these sheets fit with some room to spare - I am able to tuck the sheets in on the corners VERY far back under the corner if that makes sense, rather than pulling it super tight.

Even the seams along the sides of the sheets are generous.

I thought that the very generous cut might bother us because the sheets are looser (not pulled as tight) but oh my gosh, they feel GREAT.

We have only had them about six months so time will tell on the wear and tear but they feel fantastic.

They were expensive but we did get them "on sale" and discounted so that took some of the sting out of it.
https://www.bollandbranch.com/collections/sheet-sets
Lots of people love vintage bed sheets, thing is queen and certain king really didn't exist back then. You had "Double/Full" or "Matrimonial" , and that pretty much was it far as large sheets were concerned. If you wanted anything else it had to be ordered or you sewed it yourself. Even there sheet yardages came often in the same standard widths for twin, full/Matrimonial, etc... That is unless you wanted to also sew side seams instead of just using selvage edges.

It wouldn't be until post WWII that "queen" and "king" mattresses began to show up in USA.
https://bedtimesmagazine.com/2015/06...d-queen-sizes/

Old 08-04-2019, 09:47 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
For those that didn't attend summer camp, join the military or attend nursing school, find yourself someone who did and learn how to make beds with only flat sheets.

Mitered/hospital corners are how beds were made for years before the rather modern (American) invention of fitted sheets.

While they do have some benefits in terms of convenience and ease (espeicallly when bed making), there is a reason why hospitals, institutions, hotels, military, convents, etc... used sets of flat sheets. It allows more even wear of linens since the same sheet isn't always on bottom.
I ended up switching to buying 2 flat sheets and pillow cases over the flat/fitted package.
I got sick of the elastic wearing out and it being a too odd cut to fold under the mattress.

Thought I was the only odd duck out there who went back to "old school"

Old 08-04-2019, 06:51 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Convienence is the name of the game, especially when I am making the bunkbeds the grandkids use. I wish they made 'semi fitted' sheets with elastic at the foot end of the upper sheet. It would be so much easier to make the back corners of the bunkbeds.

And yes I learned to make beds in the military and remember being issued sheets one at a time. (bottom sheet gets turned into laundry, top moves to bottom and new one goes on top. I thought it was gross

Old 08-04-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Convienence is the name of the game, especially when I am making the bunkbeds the grandkids use. I wish they made 'semi fitted' sheets with elastic at the foot end of the upper sheet. It would be so much easier to make the back corners of the bunkbeds.

And yes I learned to make beds in the military and remember being issued sheets one at a time. (bottom sheet gets turned into laundry, top moves to bottom and new one goes on top. I thought it was gross

Hospitals, military, and various other institutions world over did the same when linen supplies were short. Theory being that it is the bottom sheet which receives more wear/soiling than top. The latter usually is mostly soiled at hem/turn over which when making a bed with mitered/hospital corners goes under the mattress anyway.

Gross as it sounds some hotels/motels do this as well. Especially if guest is staying more than one day and thus using room for several nights.

There is also fact laundering all that bed linen is expensive and time consuming. So to cut down on laundry bills top sheets are swapped for bottom.

Have a few family members who are nurses, and watched them make beds at home. Their way is simple and easy on back, etc.... One side is made done first (top and bottom sheets), then they go to other side and finish. Thus no going back and forth between both sides of bed.

Should add asked around to a few friends who are active nurses and apparently even most hospitals have gone onto fitted bottom sheets. One said she hasn't made a bed in ages; the aides and techs do that sort of work, but nurses will in a pinch.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:56 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I see ads for very expensive sheets. I cant imagine why anyone would spends hundreds on a set of sheets. What am I missing? What's the difference how they feel if I'm sleeping?
Seriously??? You cannot comprehend that the fabric and the feel of a sheet would not matter if you’re laying between them? You certainly don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars, and these days fine sheets are actually not very expensive anymore. But certainly most people prefer to lay down on a sheet that feels good.

For me personally, I can’t stand percale sheets. Egyptian cotton is my favorite, about 300 to 400 thread count is usually what feels best to me.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Seriously??? You cannot comprehend that the fabric and the feel of a sheet would not matter if you’re laying between them? You certainly don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars, and these days fine sheets are actually not very expensive anymore. But certainly most people prefer to lay down on a sheet that feels good.

For me personally, I can’t stand percale sheets. Egyptian cotton is my favorite, about 300 to 400 thread count is usually what feels best to me.
Cotton (Egyptian or whatever) is the fiber sheets are made from, percale starts at 180 thread count per square inch.

Hate to break this news, but you *are* sleeping on percale sheets whether you know it or not.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/differ...le-100534.html

https://www.overstock.com/guides/per...ets-fact-sheet

Again higher thread count (400) is achieved by using thinner cotton threads, but never the less weave is percale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House