Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 10:11 PM

5 posts, read 4,214 times

Advertisements

- 1960's home with popcorn ceiling in 3 bedrooms. I had the popcorn material tested for asbestos - 2% Chrysotile. After much reading and consideration I decided to remove the popcorn material myself. I followed the instructions at pscleanair.org to a T. A couple days following the removal I had a TEM Asbestos Air test performed and no asbestos was detected. Sweet! Given the number of popcorn ceiling threads on these forums I thought I would post a few of the things I learned that may help someone in the future.

- The work is difficult from a physical and mental perspective. It took me about 3 hours to wet, scrape, clean and paint each bedroom with all of the gear on and it's like working in a sauna. I was very anxious for the first 15 minutes of each room due to breathing difficulty and thoughts of something unforeseen happening. I was drenched in sweat and extremely thirsty after finishing each room.

- It took me another 3-4 hours for each room prepping and putting up plastic. I completed one room each day.

- I splurged on a nice full face respirator. I felt like (not tested) the mask sealed well against my face and there was no fogging. I think fogging would have been a bad problem if I had purchased a half mask and used goggles.

- The floors get very wet and I had some water leak through a taped floor seam on the first bedroom. Double tape the floor seams.

- I had a corner of the wall plastic come down momentarily in the second bedroom. Double taping the wall corner seams is also a good idea. These minor breaches were one of the reasons I decided to do the post abatement air quality test.

- Leave plenty of clean, dry towels at your exit point. Your body and everything else will be soaking wet.

- I tried my best to stir up asbestos dust during the post abatement air quality test. I was sweeping and had the mini-splits cranked up. I read about people using leaf blowers for this testing but I didn't go to that extreme.

- Speaking of mini-splits, they were very difficult to cover with plastic. The intake of the mini-split is about 3" from the ceiling making the wall seam impossible to tape without disturbing the popcorn. I had to make some custom frames and pre-tape the plastic to the frames before finally sealing the frames to the walls with duct tape. I wondered what the pros would have done in this situation.

- I spent around $800 bucks doing this myself. $350 air test, $165 for the bags and disposal, $130 for respirator, and couple hundred more in plastic and duct tape. Probably saved myself a couple thousand? I only talked to one contractor on the phone and he was not confidence inspiring.

Summary - removing popcorn ceilings properly with the right PPE is a pain in the butt. It can be done successfully to save some bucks if one has enough time and patience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 10:23 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
It would be even more of a pain if you removed the popcorn to discover the drywall hadn’t been properly taped and mudded, which is often the case.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:30 PM

I forgot to mention the drywall which fortunately looked taped and mudded properly. However, the drywall was holding some super rancid smoke odors. I had to prime the ceilings a second time with Zinsser BIM primer which got rid of the odor.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:34 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
And your disposal???

https://www.oregon.gov/deq/FilterDocs/asb-HomeFS.pdf

Old 07-26-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Doubled bagged in the special 6 mil bags ($60) and brought out to the Hillsboro landfill for disposal ($105).

Old 07-26-2019, 01:45 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michwmichw View Post

Summary - removing popcorn ceilings properly with the right PPE is a pain in the butt.
And when it's all done... what do you have?
(usually it's up there t hide something even uglier)

Old 07-26-2019, 02:36 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
For the life of me I just cannot understand going through removing pop-corn ceilings. I say paint it and forget it.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:46 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
For the life of me I just cannot understand going through removing pop-corn ceilings. I say paint it and forget it.
Or, it could have been covered over with drywall and I’m sure the OP considered that option.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And when it's all done... what do you have?
(usually it's up there t hide something even uglier)
I've got some nicked up drywall that now needs texture applied and some paint. Another thing I've never done before which I'm working on this week.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The popcorn was looking dirty and dingy and we didn't like the aesthetics. My kids also disturbed the popcorn from time to time throwing toys and balls around. They pay no attention to me when I say don't throw stuff against the ceiling it's not good for your health.

Yes, I certainly underestimated the time and difficulty despite all of my research. Not sure what I would do differently given what I know now. It will be worth it I think when the project is complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House