Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 07:23 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,005,352 times

Advertisements

Interested in any non-professional solutions (if possible). We're already paying a pest company for normal bug service, mosquitoes and rodents so I would like to not add another service to the list.

Yesterday while pulling weeds in our backyard our neighbor mentioned to me that he saw a skunk run under the shed we have in our backyard. He said he suspected we have skunks living under there. I mentioned I had yet to see (or smell) any skunk but it wouldn't surprise me since there is enough clearance under the shed for a small(er) animal to clime under. I'm trying to find a good low cost solution for the time being. I have two little boys and while I doubt they would come in contact with a skunk (since they're nocturnal) I'd rather not take my chances. We have a rather small (less than quarter of an acre) back yard and live in a subdivision (not the country) FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 07:41 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Interested in any non-professional solutions (if possible)...
Drop a couple good sized snakes down there.

Meanwhile... Form and pour some concrete and rebuild the shed on that.
Tear down (or move) the old one.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:45 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
You can certainly trap them with a Habitrap...

It's getting the trap and removing the animal that gets tricky... you don't want to get sprayed. Perhaps in this particular case you may want to leave this job to a "critter-getter"/wildlife removal person/company.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:51 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
When we lived in CT we used to get skunks and raccoons in our garage. To get them to leave we would soak a rag in ammonia and toss it where we thought they were. Worked every time.

Now I'm sure you know ammonia can be dangerous. Please be careful if you try this.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:54 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,005,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
When we lived in CT we used to get skunks and raccoons in our garage. To get them to leave we would soak a rag in ammonia and toss it where we thought they were. Worked every time.

Now I'm sure you know ammonia can be dangerous. Please be careful if you try this.
Good idea. I may try this.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:54 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
You could also try this old timer repellent recipe my mom used to keep skunks from burrowing under our porch: chop up a yellow onion, a jalapeno pepper, mix with a tablespoon of cayenne pepper and boil together in a quart of water. Spray the cooled broth in/around the burrow entrance. Less toxic/hazardous than ammonia and may not evaporate as quickly. Then put blocks, wire, or some other barrier around the base of the shed to keep them out.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:33 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,197,967 times
Could roll some moth balls into the opening. The cayenne pepper mixture mentioned above sounds delicious. I bet it would work as well. I just purchased some cayenne pepper powder to discourage coons from coming up and tearing up things around the house. I like the idea of mixing it with jalepenos and onion and boiling it.

If you trap a skunk in a live animal trap, you want to cover it up with a blanket to keep it from spraying. This is what I was told. Unfortunately, I did not know about this when I caught one in a live animal trap. It sprayed, but I did get it out of the trap. I was not directly hit with the spray as I got out of the way when it lifted its tail. After, it peeled out and never came back.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:41 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,527,148 times
Skunks are one of the main carriers of rabies. I would have the pest control catch them & dispatch them.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:18 AM

11,105 posts, read 9,748,456 times
We had skunks living in a burrow they dug under our porch. We just waited until they were not there and then I took an altoids tin and drilled some holes in it and put some mothballs inside and threw it into the burrow. I didn't want to throw the mothballs in without the tin because I didn't want any critter to eat the mothballs. I just want them to go away, not die. Then after a few days we filled in the hole and put rocks to block the area.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:19 AM

213 posts, read 157,399 times
Buy a conibear trap (#160/#220 ought to do it) and place in the entryway under the deck with some sticks to form a funnel. Block off any other entry points. If that doesn't work, bait the trap with sardines.

When the animal is caught, you can wait for a few hours for the smell to dissipate, though it will still be a smelly endeavor. Far better than trying to deal with a live skunk, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House