Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 08:35 PM

1,210 posts, read 883,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727 View Post
blown insulation in the attic to meet the SEER rating.
I think you're referring to something else besides SEER. SEER is a measure of BTUs per Watt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 07:17 AM

362 posts, read 558,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I think you're referring to something else besides SEER. SEER is a measure of BTUs per Watt.
Maybe it had something to do with green stands and energy efficiency, it was a federal program that paid for it.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:30 PM

220 posts, read 132,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator11040 View Post
My compressor just failed.

I just need it to be replaced. The current one is a Carrier 12 SEER 3-ton.
It's not DIY.

I have two contractors scheduled, and of course I don't want to get ripped off.

I am in a similar situation, but it is not my compressor, but my unit inside. I don't want to get ripped off either and it seems like the few estimates I have gotten, they are pushing to "are you going to finance, pay by credit card, and when can we start".

Old 09-17-2019, 09:15 AM

18,948 posts, read 43,421,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post
I am in a similar situation, but it is not my compressor, but my unit inside. I don't want to get ripped off either and it seems like the few estimates I have gotten, they are pushing to "are you going to finance, pay by credit card, and when can we start".
If you have one that uses r22 keep in mind it will be banned after 1/1/2020. If you get a new coil it may be worthwhile to go ahead and convert the system over to r407c or one of the newer alternatives.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:53 AM

220 posts, read 132,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If you have one that uses r22 keep in mind it will be banned after 1/1/2020. If you get a new coil it may be worthwhile to go ahead and convert the system over to r407c or one of the newer alternatives.

Thanks. I am receiving different quotes and one guy is lower than the others. One guy today quoted me for a 15.5 and a 16 SEER and one guy quoted me on a 15 SEER. I Googled it and it is a discontinued model. So what do you think about putting in discontinued models? Something must be wrong if it is discontinued, correct?

Old 09-17-2019, 12:17 PM

37,494 posts, read 45,798,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
For some things this is possible...not sure for a air conditioning compressor:
Take a couple photos, or as many as you can, and write down everything you know and find guys that do this type of work on craigslist. Send them an email with the photos and what you know - this is to give the guy as much information as possible. The goal here is to get as many estimates as possible without the guy having to come out....perhaps you can get 20+ estimates this way. If the standard deviation isn't too high, then you know about what the realistic cost is. But like I wrote only some things can be done this way - things that clearly and completely relay the job scope to the potential contractor. I've done this many times. Saves me from having to be at home to meet him and I can get a lot of estimates quickly and easily.

One other thing, even though your unit is 12 SEER, if it is really old, like 10+ years, you might as well get a whole new system if you can get one with 15 or 16 SEER. The cost will obviously be more but if it's old you're on the right side of the bathtub curve.
Craigslist???? Hell no. No one should be hiring people from there.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:37 PM

8,103 posts, read 8,284,205 times
Do you just need the compressor or the whole condenser unit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House