Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 09:34 AM

714 posts, read 356,355 times

Advertisements

My compressor just failed.

I just need it to be replaced. The current one is a Carrier 12 SEER 3-ton.
It's not DIY.

I have two contractors scheduled, and of course I don't want to get ripped off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 11:21 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
That depends!
How old?
What refrigerant?

Maybe it's just the capacitor(?) Maybe it's just low on refrigerant?

Don't know location- but by posts I'll gather you're in NYC (or area). That will definitely be more dollars than here in the ATL. Have your tech's inspect- get quotes and go from there.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:25 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,418,407 times
The last guy that checked my ac was from a well known company. He said the compressor was shot and it would cost me 2800 to replace it. That was over 10 years ago and the compressor is still working fine. He was not being honest.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:05 PM

1,210 posts, read 888,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator11040 View Post
My compressor just failed.

I just need it to be replaced. The current one is a Carrier 12 SEER 3-ton.
It's not DIY.

I have two contractors scheduled, and of course I don't want to get ripped off.
For some things this is possible...not sure for a air conditioning compressor:
Take a couple photos, or as many as you can, and write down everything you know and find guys that do this type of work on craigslist. Send them an email with the photos and what you know - this is to give the guy as much information as possible. The goal here is to get as many estimates as possible without the guy having to come out....perhaps you can get 20+ estimates this way. If the standard deviation isn't too high, then you know about what the realistic cost is. But like I wrote only some things can be done this way - things that clearly and completely relay the job scope to the potential contractor. I've done this many times. Saves me from having to be at home to meet him and I can get a lot of estimates quickly and easily.

One other thing, even though your unit is 12 SEER, if it is really old, like 10+ years, you might as well get a whole new system if you can get one with 15 or 16 SEER. The cost will obviously be more but if it's old you're on the right side of the bathtub curve.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:27 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
The last guy that checked my ac was from a well known company. He said the compressor was shot and it would cost me 2800 to replace it. That was over 10 years ago and the compressor is still working fine. He was not being honest.

Most AC techs are dishonest. Especially the mom and pop ones. Lots of them work off hourly plus commission so they sell everything under the sun.

I had a friend who called one company. They basically tried to sell him 12,000 dollars of ac work. He called me. The disconnect melted as it was a cheap pos and he had the ac running full bore a long time. $40 and 30 minutes later it was done.

I had a capacitor go bad. $20 and 10 minutes it was done.

None of these things took more than a little time and a multimeter to check. Personally I would grab a computer sit and watch YouTube on how to troubleshoot your AC unit. There are PLENTY of videos on how to troubleshoot. Once you have a good idea of what is and it’s bad you can call a tech out and see if they are trying to shaft you. There are some honest ones out there.

https://www.hometips.com/repair-fix/...nditioner.html

Old 07-30-2019, 11:13 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
[/b]

Most AC techs are dishonest. Especially the mom and pop ones. Lots of them work off hourly plus commission so they sell everything under the sun.

I had a friend who called one company. They basically tried to sell him 12,000 dollars of ac work. He called me. The disconnect melted as it was a cheap pos and he had the ac running full bore a long time. $40 and 30 minutes later it was done.

I had a capacitor go bad. $20 and 10 minutes it was done.

None of these things took more than a little time and a multimeter to check. Personally I would grab a computer sit and watch YouTube on how to troubleshoot your AC unit. There are PLENTY of videos on how to troubleshoot. Once you have a good idea of what is and it’s bad you can call a tech out and see if they are trying to shaft you. There are some honest ones out there.

https://www.hometips.com/repair-fix/...nditioner.html
My local guy is as honest as the day is long. He basically told me to hold off replacing my systems as long as they don’t cause problems or leak. Even though they are getting close to 20 years old now they still are working...and the energy savings won’t pay it all back.

When I do start to have an issue I’ll replace them one at a time. As of 2020 I expect the price of R-22 to jump as it won’t be made anymore, just stockpiled and recovered.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:26 PM

1,210 posts, read 888,476 times
I'll also add, I've noticed all same ton air conditioners don't perform the same. A 3 ton builder air conditioner (the el cheapo units that came with the house) doesn't cool the house down as well as a new Lennox or Carrier replacement 3 ton air conditioner. I don't know why that is but it's true.
So, IF the air conditioner in the original post was the builder unit AND he can't put a bigger unit in because of the freon line diameter, THEN that's more incentive to get a new system all together: higher performing and higher SEER.

Old 07-30-2019, 04:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
My local guy is as honest as the day is long. He basically told me to hold off replacing my systems as long as they don’t cause problems or leak. Even though they are getting close to 20 years old now they still are working...and the energy savings won’t pay it all back.

When I do start to have an issue I’ll replace them one at a time. As of 2020 I expect the price of R-22 to jump as it won’t be made anymore, just stockpiled and recovered.
Everyone loves talking about energy savings. The savings aren’t that high.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:17 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I'll also add, I've noticed all same ton air conditioners don't perform the same. A 3 ton builder air conditioner (the el cheapo units that came with the house) doesn't cool the house down as well as a new Lennox or Carrier replacement 3 ton air conditioner. I don't know why that is but it's true.
So, IF the air conditioner in the original post was the builder unit AND he can't put a bigger unit in because of the freon line diameter, THEN that's more incentive to get a new system all together: higher performing and higher SEER.
That’s all I buy is the builder grade units, I like to keep it simple because the higher end models have too many electronics and cost a fortune to fix... and they don’t last any longer than the cheaper ones.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:31 PM

362 posts, read 559,923 times
I worked for an agency that used grant funds to replace HVAC units for low income people. We did dozens per year, and included the whole system, air handler, compressor, and blown insulation in the attic to meet the SEER rating. Sometimes it would include upgrading the electrical box if needed. The cost ranged from $6k to $9k depending on the size of the home.

I agree with the posts about making sure the old system is irreparable, as I don’t think there’s much honesty in this profession. They only make money when they install, so everyone needs a new system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House