Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 10:53 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Geeze... Yes! The sink faucet needs to be replaced! The shower head and the fixture too. All rusted/corroded and ugly.
It looks that bad just after 6 months?
How strong vinegar are you using? It seems that something is eating the coating... Wrong cleaning solutions?

The water is flowing inside the pipe. There is no way of knowing how the inside looks like, but I assume it's way better than the outside.

Last edited by elnina; 07-29-2019 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 11:05 PM

454 posts, read 448,966 times
Does my kitchen sink faucet need to be replaced as well? You can see the mold on it. This was replaced i think just over a year ago or so.

And i do not clean my sink faucet area much... yes im lazy and sloppy.

When i turn the water on, the water looks clean and fine though. But would the dirt/mold from it make the water bad? Of course this doesn't look anything close to as bad as the sink faucet and handle and the shower head.

The shower head and everything connected to it got replaced maybe 4.5 months ago. It looked fine until i believe 1 month ago. So basically it got like that after 3.5 months.

I dont really pay attention and look at the faucet when i took a shower. I assume humidity is probably what caused it? However, i never wash my faucet ever...

Would you say the sink faucet and the knobs are disgusting to the max? That is why i rarely use it ever. I used the shower head when it was perfectly clean to turn on water whether shower or washing my hands. Im not exaggerating.., the sink faucet handle has looked like that for many years...

Old 07-29-2019, 11:13 PM

The kitchen faucet looks bad too. Somehow, I just can't believe that stuff can go so bad in just few months. I suspect that the maid is using some very, very strong chemicals that are eating the coating. Or is the water so corrosive? Can you find out if other tenants have the same problems?
If the water is so corrosive then inside of the pipes looks ugly too.
https://articles.extension.org/pages...orrosive-water
Corrosion of lead from plumbing systems is more of a concern to the homeowner since it is a significant health hazard.

How humid is in your place? Can you see any mold on the walls and corners?
Is there humid all the times? Do you open the windows to vent the flat? Do you have A/C? How often you change the filters? Anything else in your flat is deteriorating because of the humidity? Wood warping? Carpet, discoloration on the furnitures? You clothes feel wet? How do you wash them?

Why did you accept that sink faucet when you moved in? Is that flat super cheap? No one cares? Why don't you care? Any reason why it didn't bothered you?
I am assuming that the flat is very unhealthy to live in. Probably infested by mold...
You might need to find another place to live.

Last edited by elnina; 07-29-2019 at 11:29 PM..

Old 07-29-2019, 11:24 PM

Well the kitchen faucet was worst than that a while back ago... then they replaced it. It was over a 1 year ago or a bit more.

The only thing that went bad very quick was that shower head faucet... it was a bit over 3 months only i say.

My place is very humid. Here its very humid. Yes there is mold on the walls and corners but not that much. Every apartment in our building is like this... but in general the location most ppl are like this.

I have my glass door opened all day pretty much. Here we don't have regular doors like in the US. Its like those glass full size doors. So during the day, i open it... to let air come in. Its always 80 plus degrees everyday... more like high 80s etc.

Yes i have some windows and do open them as well but i only did that recently. Yes i have AC but i dont always turn it on. I usually turn it on at night... not during the day. Because its not that bad when i have my glass door opened.

I know that for the AC... we have ppl that come once a year i believe to do work on each ac in each apartment.

There was a cabinet a long time ago that deteriorated a while back. It like broke down etc.

A long time ago, the floor there was a crack and they had to replace the tiles. The floor was crooked. This took 2 weeks i believe but this was a while back. They said the reason was because of the humidity. Back then, i didn't have my door open during the day much so it was hot.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:25 PM

I just have futon sofa... don't have furniture besides that and a bed.

Take my clothes to the laundromat and wash it and dry it with the machines...

Are you saying i should have the kitchen faucet replaced as well? Again... after im done cooking i just clean my plates and everything and well many times there would be water around that area... yes im lazy and not a clean person... so thats probably what caused that molding in the kitchen sink fauset? However, i have a neighbor here... who i noticed had the same exact molding in the kitchen faucet as well as me. It does not seem to bother him at all though. So it has to be the humidity then right? Also, i will say that a while back ago, I lived in another country for many months. Its very cold there and freezing. I never had one single issue with the kitchen faucet molding or anything like that at all or the sink molding.

Right now i know to have the shower head fixed and replaced and the bathroom sink because its disgusting. But i didnt want to ask about the kitchen faucet because that would be asking like having 3 different things replaced like its asking a lot. But you do agree the kitchen faucet should be replaced? But is there any risk of contamination to the kitchen sink faucet because of it?

Old 07-29-2019, 11:32 PM

Just took a few more photos of the bathroom sink and the kitchen sink.

Opinions on this?

So from looking at all these pictures of the bathroom shower faucet, bathroom sink faucet and handles, and the kitchen sink faucet and handles...

Do i have to ask to replace all 3 of them? I was initially going to ask just the bathroom shower faucet and the bathroom sink faucet and handle... but since someone mention the kitchen sink faucet look bad... should i ask to have that replaced as well?

Also when i need things like this fixed, if its my fault, i always offer to pay for it when i speak to the manager of the building. A few times i have paid because some situations... was certainly my fault. Example.. one time i broke the fan switch to my ceiling fan... and contacted the manager on this and they called someone to come over and then i paid them etc since that was my fault.

But when it comes to these replacements, like the shower head faucet, bathroom sink faucet and handle... and the kitchen shower faucet, should i be offering to pay for it? Because i feel like its a lot asking to have them replace 3 different things. The shower faucet of course... the bathroom sink faucet... i been wanting to ask that a long time ago but never did and just used the shower water instead of sink. But now the kitchen faucet is moldy. Also im in a studio apartment... so the kitchen faucet is pretty much from me when im on the computer.

Also is it possible for me to clean up the mold from the kitchen sink faucet based on those pictures? Like use vinegar or certain product etc? I know it looks bad... but it obviously looks no where as bad as the shower faucet and the bathroom sink faucet and handles...

Old 07-29-2019, 11:37 PM

It's corroded water. Read the link. A huge health hazard. The mold too. Google and read about mold (I don't have time right now).
You need to move. How old are you? Don't jeopardize your health there. This place sounds like a dump. Sorry. They should replace all faucets. The kitchen sink probably too. All corroded. I suspect a lead leak too. Oh, my! That's really bad. Do you have to live there?

BTW: the corroded water isn't your fault. You shouldn't pay anything for replacement. But they need to do it. They also need to take care of the mold in your walls... properly!
But, eh - you really need to just move out. This place isn't livable. It's a health hazard!

Old 07-29-2019, 11:46 PM

Hi there. I been at this place for a while. Its fine for me.

I do not drink the water. But of course use it to do everything else.

What do you mean the kitchen sink too? You can tell by looking at it? If you read one of my threads, you probably read that when the maid comes, she pours the water from the bucket that comes from cleaning the floor into the sink... yes i find that disgusting. But i dont say anything about it. I just don't bother looking as that is disgusting. But im 100 percent positive she does that with every single other apartment here when cleaning.

Well its hard to find similar places like this for the price around here.

All the faucets and everything were good a while back. Its just the humidity that is the big issue.

I will admit... i dont take very good care of my apartment. But im positive the humidity plays a huge part in this...do you agree? The other thing is i noticed my pillows get yellow after a while and its due to my sweat. I have the fan on always but rarely the ac on at night because its cold at night and i dont like ac. But when i use to live in a very cold place in a different country for a few months, i never had any of these issues. The heat plays a huge part in this. Unless of course i have my ac on 12 hours a day... then probably i wouldnt have these issues?

Do you know how these molding is caused by the shower head... bathroom sink faucet and finally the kitchen sink faucet and handles? Is the most likely cause the humidity based on all this information i give you? I however never clean the kitchen sink faucet ever... and neither with the other 2 things ever. But its not suppose to turn like that right normally? When i was in a cold country for a few months, none of this ever happened. My habits was the same as now... only difference is back then, there was no maid service. My place was dirty... but it didn't mold like the kitchen faucet etc...

Old 07-29-2019, 11:53 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Hi there. I saw a few of those videos. First off... i cannot fix things. I don't have any tools either.

But if its something simple... like when my shower faucet had very low pressure, i fixed this issue by taking ziplock bag and pouring vinegar in it... then putting it over the shower faucet and taping it and letting it like that for many hours. Then the water pressure is better. But right now i have another problem where i have the same issue with my shower faucet...except the issue is water is leaking a lot... so when the ziplock bag is placed over the faucet, it doesn't do much because water is leaking into the ziplock bag so i assume it being mixed with water isn't helping.

So based on this, just have the manager call the plumber to fix this whole issue right? That shower faucet leaking and no hot water issue and of course replacing a sink faucet? The sink faucet and the handles are really dirty and moldy.
It is not management's job to keep things clean and free of mold. Clean them!

Leaks and failures are a different story.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:59 PM

Here are a few pictures of the area below the bathroom sink.

If you look at the bottom of sink, its like rough paint at the bottom of it? Im pretty certain it was like that a long time ago. Also the last 2 photos is sideways... but im sure you guys can see that.

Again, none of these things are modern looking in my apartment and in this building.

Also my walls have molding... like it white color. But it isn't that bad. Previously a while back, it was much worst but that was because i foolishly did not have my glass door open during the day so it was very hot and humid.

Thoughts on these photos?

I don't want to move. I like my place. Its one of the few places where its month to month and no lease. Also the price is pretty good. Its hard to find a month to month place where im located unless you want to pay a lot for it.

But are you telling me if i have all these 3 things replaced im fine? Thus the shower faucet and handle, bathroom sink faucet and handle... and the kitchen faucet and handle?

Asking to have the entire sink replaced in the bathroom and/or kitchen would be very extreme...

Also i rarely use the bathroom sink at all besides just turning on to wash my hands. But you are saying its not good enough because of where the water is coming from?

So its fine if i have those 3 faucets replaced... then after that, make sure to clean it every few weeks etc to prevent this from happening again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House