Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 07:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times

Advertisements

I'm going to install ceiling fans in almost every room in my new house. I've been reading that the amount of airflow is inversely related to the number of blades on the fan.

So, a three blade fan is supposed to push more air than a four or five blade fan. My issue is my experience has mainly been with five blade fans.

Has anyone experience all the different blade counts? Do three blade fans really move the most air?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 09:57 AM

1,210 posts, read 887,776 times
3, 4, or 5 fan blades? Do ceiling fans with more blades give more airflow? The science behind your ceiling fan design

Rather than focusing on fan blade count, I'd recommend buying a HIGH QUALITY ceiling fan because it will be around a long time and the extra money is worth it. I like the Hunter Original plus it has that classic look.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:58 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
I have a 3-blade fan in my bedroom and a 5-blade fan in my living room. The 5-blade is quieter, but the noise from the 3-blade is minimal. I don't run either at top speed, but I have the bedroom fan on every night at medium speed. These were installed by the prior owner. They probably should have done the reverse and put the 3-blade in the larger area in order to move more air, but I wouldn't say I have been dissatisfied with either one. From Lumens.com: "As a rule, as the number of blades goes up, the fan tends to be quieter and circulates less air. Additional blades increase the drag on a ceiling fan's motor and slow it down. This is one of the reasons why industrial fans (like wind turbines) usually have only two or three blades. They can go faster and move more air, and noise isn't so much of a concern.
Many ceiling fans designed for the home come standard with four or five blades. Beyond having a pleasing symmetrical aspect, it's at the 4-blade and 5-blade level that the ideal balance is achieved between the amount of air circulated and amount of tolerable ambient noise.
These days, you are unlikely to notice any major difference in job performance between fans with fewer or more blades. Advancements in overall residential ceiling fan design, balance, and low-drag blade shapes and pitch ensure that ceiling fans with a non-standard number of blades are able to do their job well. Even if you opt for a ceiling fan with an expansive seven blades, you can rest assured it will still perform well."

Old 08-11-2019, 10:14 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm going to install ceiling fans in almost every room...
$5 bookshelf fans ($15 for pretty too) will stir more air.

Last edited by MrRational; 08-11-2019 at 10:30 AM..

Old 08-11-2019, 10:35 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,171,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm going to install ceiling fans in almost every room in my new house. I've been reading that the amount of airflow is inversely related to the number of blades on the fan.

So, a three blade fan is supposed to push more air than a four or five blade fan. My issue is my experience has mainly been with five blade fans.

Has anyone experience all the different blade counts? Do three blade fans really move the most air?
Three blades are optimum for residential-size ceiling fans. Additional blades may make a great sales gimmick, but too many blades churn the air and make the fan less efficient.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:46 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
You probably find some answers here:
https://blog.ceilingfan.com/5-factor...g-fan-airflow/

Old 08-11-2019, 11:55 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I find I prefer fewer blades even if more blades might be more efficient. Less visual "clutter" overhead, less distracting. The room the fan is intended for and where its installed matters too. A small fan in the right spot could be more effective than a larger one stuck anywhere. A heavier better quality motor that's well balanced tends to be quieter/less intrusive overall IME. Funny, I've installed ceiling fans in most of my houses and find I keep buying the current model of the same 3 bladed MinkaAire. Just like it and it does what its supposed to do.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-11-2019 at 12:08 PM..

Old 08-11-2019, 11:56 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Three blades are optimum for residential-size ceiling fans. Additional blades may make a great sales gimmick, but too many blades churn the air and make the fan less efficient.
And, if the motor is undersized it has to work harder to move more blades...may be noisier and not last as long.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-11-2019 at 12:09 PM..

Old 08-11-2019, 12:23 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Yeah I just bought 7 ceiling fans for the new house and need an 8th that I forgot, whoops, so I’ve read and learned a lot more about this recently than ever haha. I didn’t realize how little the blade count mattered, but we prefer fewer blades and wanted modern looks and function only. All of ours are app controlled and Alexa capable.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:04 PM

17,603 posts, read 17,629,777 times
First focus on the size of the room. Measure each room receiving a ceiling fan. Most ceiling fans come with a recommended room size application based upon how many inches is the fan. If you have a room with a low ceiling then you’ll need a ceiling hugger fan. These have more blades because it’s harder to move more air when so close to the ceiling. If a room is excessively large you may need two fans. Don’t go crazy looking at styles. Get a quiet reputable brand. Dust the fans monthly. Make sure the blades are evenly balanced for smooth quiet operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House