Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2019, 07:29 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,248,713 times

Advertisements

I have a house in Denver that has Aluminum wiring and plan to sell it in the next year. The Aluminum wiring can be converted to copper at each box using for example Alumiconn connectors.

A video is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKDlzjDmXRo

Im having this house painted now and could hardly find anyone who would "do me a favor" and paint the house. I guess everyone has all the work they want.

If you watch that video, you have to do this conversion at every single box but it is not difficult, mostly just a lot of work.

I am thinking in the time I have to spend trying to find someone to do this, I could just do it myself. Buy a torque screwdriver and the connectors, it does not look hard. Do a polarity and ground test after the mod.

When I go to sell the house, will it be an issue that I was the one who did the conversion rather than a licenced electrician?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 07:50 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
I have a house in Denver that has Aluminum wiring and plan to sell it in the next year. The Aluminum wiring can be converted to copper at each box using for example Alumiconn connectors.

A video is here

Im having this house painted now and could hardly find anyone who would "do me a favor" and paint the house. I guess everyone has all the work they want.

If you watch that video, you have to do this conversion at every single box but it is not difficult, mostly just a lot of work.

I am thinking in the time I have to spend trying to find someone to do this, I could just do it myself. Buy a torque screwdriver and the connectors, it does not look hard. Do a polarity and ground test after the mod.

When I go to sell the house, will it be an issue that I was the one who did the conversion rather than a licenced electrician?
I know that I, as a buyer, would ask if a licensed electrician had done the conversion. I suspect that most buyers would as well. Aluminum wiring has a bad rep with a lot of (well, probably most) buyers, and so I think they would want to ensure that it had been taken care of in the most professional way possible. It may be penny-wise but pound foolish for you to take this project on yourself. Also, can you as an individual ensure that the work is done to code the same as a licensed electrician? That would be important as well.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:19 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
The Aluminum wiring can be converted to copper at each box using for example Alumiconn connectors.
Why not just replace the receptacles with ones rated for aluminum wire?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-00I/100357026

Old 08-15-2019, 09:54 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Why not just replace the receptacles with ones rated for aluminum wire?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-00I/100357026

Exactly what I was thinking.

OP- they may cost more than the connectors but I wouldn't worry about the "was it done by a licensed electrician" because it's an approved receptacle for aluminum wiring. These do not constitute an "approved repair".

Most of the receptacles will be a direct swap- but there maybe occasions where you will still need the connectors. First and foremost, verify that you don't already have the CO/ALR receptacles.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:18 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Even with CO/ALR receptacles & switches, what would he do with any splices or appliance connections that used wire nuts ? (furnace, dishwasher, etc)

When I sold my house with AL wiring, I gave the buyer a credit at closing and let them get their own electrician.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:58 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Quote:
I have a house in Denver that has Aluminum wiring and plan to sell it in the next year.

Having sold a house in Denver with AL wiring to a VERY paranoid first time buyer, this is how I handled it. First, she asked that the wiring be completely replaced at my expense, which is obviously a no-go. So I asked what the main concern was and she said Safety. That warranted a follow-up with a question about her concern being mitigated if an Electrician inspected the wiring and deemed it safe, which is what we settled on. This cost me an hour of labor (under $200) and sold the home as it was the only real issue.

Anyway, the way I see this experience working for you is that you go ahead and do the labor and leave the outlets open for visual inspection. Hire in an electrician who's willing to state that they inspected the work and it met code/was safe AND do a full inspection on any panels you might have (I had 3, main, hot tub and garage). Include that with your disclosure (if your agent suggests, I can see it going either way) as a "I know this will be a concern for potential buyers and have mitigated it" type thing.

I'm also of the opinion that people put WAY too much against aluminum wiring, just as they do against Radon and Asbestos... yeah, those things can be problematic, if you Really go out of your way to make them that way. Of course, you will be guaranteed to have a buyer who is as skittish as possible, and afraid of every little thing. That's just how it works these days... because the risk tolerant (and knowledgeable) folks are buying projects to fix up, not "move-in ready" properties.

Good luck.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:08 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
I agree with the advice of just making sure your outlets are rated for aluminum wiring. Also, have an electrician check out your system (panel included) and write you letter that they checked it and its OK.

Outlets are probably cheaper than the purple wire connectors.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:30 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:

A video is here

You'd think that's what you were asking them, seeing their reaction to my reaction when painters give me their estimate.

Mom got an estimate from a painter. All interior rooms. Walls and (8 ft) ceilings, 2020 SF.

- Kitchen basically has no "walls" to paint. Back splash extends to cabinets which extend to ceiling. There is only ceiling. The only "wall" is a wood paneling which would not be touched.

- Ditto for living room, wood paneling, (some masonry) and a set of built-ins which will remain stained as they are.

- Hallway is wallpaper which would not be touched, only ceiling.

- Hallway bath is wallpaper, which would not be touched, only ceiling.

... getting my drift?

Estimate came in at just over $11,000... HA!

Old 08-15-2019, 10:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:

A video is here

Buy the aluminum rated switches and receptacles. Leviton makes them. You can only use aluminum wiring with CO/ALR rated wiring devices. DO NOT use regular switches and receptacles rated for copper only.

If you’re going aluminum to copper you need noalox compound.

You do not need a electrician to do this work. If you do....expect $80-120 a hour rates,

Old 08-16-2019, 07:20 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Having sold a house in Denver with AL wiring to a VERY paranoid first time buyer, this is how I handled it. First, she asked that the wiring be completely replaced at my expense, which is obviously a no-go. So I asked what the main concern was and she said Safety.
Almost every house in the US has some aluminum wire in it, as that is what is commonly used between the electric meter and the service/breaker panel in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I'm also of the opinion that people put WAY too much against aluminum wiring, just as they do against Radon and Asbestos.
I agree. While issues with AL are real, they are easily mitigated. Once taken of, I would not worry about buying a house with AL wiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House