Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 10:55 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Quote:
Wireless cameras are easier to setup but more problematic and less secure and reliable. I don't care what brand, anything over wifi is less secure than a wired system. A wired system is harder to install but is going to be more reliable and secure.
Not at all. The vulnerability will be the server, not the camera to router, which in that case, it does not matter if the camera is hard wired for video or not, as it still is transmitted to a server for a person to view remotely.

As for reliability, even a mid-grade wifi is pretty damn reliable now days, it is just a home system, not Ft. Knox.
A visitor can knock out one camera by throwing a big rock or some paint at it.

With wireless cameras, a visitor with a tablet PC can knock out all your WiFi cameras at once by throwing a continuous stream of de-auth at the SSID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 10:58 AM

11 posts, read 17,701 times
If you have old/unused smart phones that can connect to wifi, then you could try installing Alfred on them. Each old phone becomes a camera (with sound) with motion-detection. You install the AlfredApp on your phone and mark it as theViewer.

We use this when we had someone house-sit our cat for a few days and when we leave our cat alone during the day. The down-side is that the battery on the old-phones can drain pretty quickly and I ended up having them hard-wired for power ie run an extension chord from the closet power-outlet. We have used as many as 4 old-phones simultaneously.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:14 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
A visitor can knock out one camera by throwing a big rock or some paint at it.

With wireless cameras, a visitor with a tablet PC can knock out all your WiFi cameras at once by throwing a continuous stream of de-auth at the SSID.
And someone can just cut the Internet connection to the home. As it is pretty much exposed from the ground to where it goes in the home. Hell, cut the power as well, maybe the person will not have a UPS.

We can get into all sorts of very rare issues, thus the end result is no security camera system in the world is worthy because every system in the world has a vulnerability of some sort.

So swinging back to reality for 99.99999% of users, the wifi system is perfectly fine to use.

"think she just wants to see if the kids on summer break are playing videos all day. But, whatever, wife wants it."

This is what the OP wants it for, the wifi will be perfectly fine for it. Have no idea why all of a sudden people want to hash out extremely rare and unlikely scenarios as every security system in the world has some sort of vulnerability to it.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:45 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
We can get into all sorts of very rare issues, thus the end result is no security camera system in the world is worthy because every system in the world has a vulnerability of some sort.
pretty much any camera system can be defeated by something that can cost someone $5 or less. a mask. so anyone who is thinking of how to beat your cameras wont need to cut off your internet, he can just put on a mask.

i have these kuna cameras that are wifi/wireless. it made sense for me because i didnt like the outside lights so i was going to change them anyway and i didnt want to start putting in wiring all over my house. it covers all the entrances and some other spots. its not perfect (had to replace a couple) and the units arent cheap but im happy with it.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:14 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,889,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post

Face it,, if the perp knows he is being surveilled he will look for the recorder.

If the perp knows he is being surveilled he will go to the next house.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:11 PM

423 posts, read 609,432 times
Really depends on your purpose. Whether you need full proof system (with constant recording and backup) versus something that is simple and deterrent.

If the latter, take a look at Wyze cam. It is $20 per camera. It is a very simple camera that connects to your home wifi. Easy to set up. It has motion detection and will record 15 seconds. You can view live and recordings on iOS or Android, at home or remotely.

Although I find short recording duration after motion detection a drawback, I was blown away by the video quality and features for $20. Motion detection works well. Can specify area for frame for motion detection. Motion detection can differentiate human vs objects (cars, trucks). Has mic for sound monitoring.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:31 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times
Post Wyze cameras work for their price, not a bad cheap indoor WiFI camera, but consumer-centric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88cal View Post
If the latter, take a look at Wyze cam. It is $20 per camera. It is a very simple camera that connects to your home wifi. Easy to set up. It has motion detection and will record 15 seconds. You can view live and recordings on iOS or Android, at home or remotely.

Although I find short recording duration after motion detection a drawback,.
If you put a MicroSD card in the camera, Wyze will record longer video onto the card in 1-minute chunks, or even continuously. Or you can give up on all the cloud functionality, install the beta firmware, and configure RTSP network viewing/recording instead.

Quote:

So swinging back to reality for 99.99999% of users, the wifi system is perfectly fine to use.
I suspect there is a larger market than just 32 people in the USA who desire a reliable video surveillance system and aren't willing to settle for unreliable WiFi-connected cameras that stop working if they can't phone home to the cloud

Old 08-17-2019, 11:28 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
If the perp knows he is being surveilled he will go to the next house.
The problem for criminals today, is that even if they go to the house next door, the one across the street will have cameras to capture their activity.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:48 PM

61,629 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The problem for criminals today, is that even if they go to the house next door, the one across the street will have cameras to capture their activity.

Right, BUT:

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news...ing-doorbells/

BTW: criminals love to enter homes from the backyards, where high privacy fences shield their activities and people have back doors and patio doors often unlocked or the locks are not so sophisticated as those on the front doors. Drivable alleys provide fast getaway from the crime scene.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:15 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,104 times
OK folks, after extensive thinking, here are my needs about the security system. See if you can recommend something based on these requirements, either a turnkey product or how to build myself:

Must have:

2-3 indoor cams
2-3 outdoor cams
Full HD resolution or above
As slow as 1 picture/second is OK
Infrared capability for night time monitor
Footage to be archived somewhere away from house, in cloud maybe, for up to 1 month, then can be over-written

Nice to have:

2-3 yard cams from 50' to 300' away, where there is no existing power source
Footage to be viewable live on phone or through web
Color footage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House