Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 10:07 AM

118 posts, read 180,857 times

Advertisements

About a year ago I moved into a new house. I hired a handyman and he suggested painting the shower surround. When he was done, unfortunately he spray painted the cheap acrylic shower surround and also the tub. The shower surround is now peeling paint and so is the tub.

I hired a professional to glaze the tub about 10 months ago and it looked great but now that is peeling even though I carefully followed the care instructions.

I'm don't have a lot of extra money and at this point would like to get my shower surround and tub back to how they were when I moved in. The tub resurfacing company has a warranty so I am unsure if I should get it re-glazed or see if I could just have them strip all the paint and get to the original surface if that is possible.

Any help appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 11:57 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohardin View Post
About a year ago I moved into a new house.
New to you but not actually new... yes?
How old is the house?

Quote:
I hired a handyman and he suggested...
I hired a professional to glaze the tub about 10 months ago
Can we assume you have learned these lessons?
Quote:
The tub resurfacing company has a warranty so I am unsure if...
Ask them. Find out.
Quote:
Any help appreciated.
In the event...
It's better to live with ugly and wait/save until you can do the proper fix/repair.
In this case that might mean to replace the old tub.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:11 PM

House is from the 50s. I liked the original tub when I moved in so hope I don't have to replace.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:22 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,418,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohardin View Post
House is from the 50s. I liked the original tub when I moved in so hope I don't have to replace.
If the original tub is a porcelain glazed cast iron tub then it should be possible to re-glaze it again. For the acrylic tub surround, personally I would have it removed and tile installed instead. I had that problem in my old house - nasty, yellowing, cracking acrylic tub surround over the original cast iron tub. I had the surround removed and tile put up. The tile didn't match the tub, but it was still holding up beautifully twelve years after installation when I sold the house. I've got a re-glazed tub and tiles now and don't expect that good performance, unfortunately.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:33 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
All products will eventually fail and peal.

Simply replace it.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:34 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
I have lived in a few units with fresh tub-resurfacing..............really unimpressed with the results. Looking really nice from the onset, then crashing, burning and peeling all to heck in a few weeks.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:59 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,187 times
I re did my 1946 claw foot tub by cleaning,sanding,applying bondo to the rusted areas then sanding and a good coat of auto paint in sports car white.That was about 15 years ago not shore. Still looks brand new today.If its good enough for a 1995 mustang it will work on a tub.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:39 PM

I talked to the company that resurfaced the tub and they will redo the tub again. I asked if its possible to remove all layers and get my tub back with its original surface and he said No that its been treated already and the only steps to take is to resurface again. I hope it lasts at least a few years and not months.

As far as the cheap shower surround I think I will take Bungalove's advice and replace with tile.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:19 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I’m having this done tomorrow in a house I’m flipping, old cast iron tub and 1950s tile surround. Supposedly they spray it with some type of acid to etch the surface, and then spray the coating. I hope it turns out to look okay since it’s a reputable refinishing company.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:11 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I had looked into this a while ago for my previous house. It seems there are some excellent companies out there, but it seems very variable. I guess it really depends on where you are located and who does it.
I know some people had it done and it lasted years and looked great. Other people had the unfortunate experience like the original poster. I decided not to do it but I know it's tempting for sure.
I hope it gets corrected and lasts beautifully
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House