Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 01:46 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times

Advertisements

Well, ddm2k description is a little misleading. "New construction windows" would be a window unit that attaches directly to the framing of the house. Versus a "replacement window" that fits inside the existing jamb.

"New construction" will attach by either brick mold (or other trim/casing) nailed, or by flange that is nailed, or stapled- usually vinyl and aluminum are flange-mounted. But, that's not to say that a flange mounted window unit can't be used on "old work".

It's all of the prep-work that's required BEFORE the window unit goes in that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 01:59 PM

312 posts, read 831,231 times
Thanks for the details. If I want to get more in person opinions and quotes, should I contact a window replacement company, a siding company? What kind of professional would give me the best overall recommendation for this project?

Thanks

Old 08-21-2019, 02:47 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skubaman View Post
It looks pretty old. But he says the good news is that it's real wood and can last a long time. Said that nailing it well, caulking, priming 2x and painting 2x would make it good for many years.

Do you recommend I get a siding company to come take a look?
I would agree with his assessment. Assuming you don't have dry rot, termites, or anything like that, your wood siding will last a long time. My house is 105 and a good paint job now and then has kept it going strong. Replacing the whole nine yards seems unnecessary unless you want to get rid of the windows altogether, in which case you'll want to weigh the pros and cons of that.

P.S. Aluminum windows are no longer legal for installation in California because they do not meet energy efficiency requirements.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:24 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Thanks for the details. If I want to get more in person opinions and quotes, should I contact a window replacement company, a siding company? What kind of professional would give me the best overall recommendation for this project?

Thanks

A GC (General Contractor)- they will handle/coordinate everything. A lot of "peace-of-mind" when YOU only have to deal with one person.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:23 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Quote:
Hi all,
I got a quote for replacing 2 old windows and priming/painting a portion of the siding to protect from water intrusion, but I have no idea if it’s too high. Might be fair, but it’s a lot of $$$ anyway. Seeking your opinion.

Granted, it's San Francisco market.
$2800 material and labor. The actual 2 Millgard fixed windows are $600 total.

Thanks
Sounds about right. Costs per window would go down with more windows. You leave out the part about difficult parking or climbing 3-flights of stairs. So many variables.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:32 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Your guy is on top of it. Listen to what he is telling you. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

BTW, add a downspout to that gutter so the water isn't splashing when it hits the rolled roofing. You appreciate the positive impact and longevity on your siding.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Your guy is on top of it. Listen to what he is telling you. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

BTW, add a downspout to that gutter so the water isn't splashing when it hits the rolled roofing. You appreciate the positive impact and longevity on your siding.
hi, what exactly is a downspout? And where would it go?

Thanks

Old 08-29-2019, 03:25 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,593 times
Quote:
hi, what exactly is a downspout? And where would it go?

Thanks
A downspout should connect to your existing gutter. Speaking of which, you might need to fix up your gutter to correctly connect the downspout to it. A downspout will improve the integrity of your roof, siding, foundation, etc. See a random website like this one: https://www.hometips.com/how-it-work...s-hangers.html

This reminds me that I need to fix my downspouts before this winter. I have a few that don't extend away from my foundation, which is an important design consideration. Like gutters and downspouts, extensions can be picked up from your local hardware store or taken care of by professionals.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
A downspout should connect to your existing gutter. Speaking of which, you might need to fix up your gutter to correctly connect the downspout to it. A downspout will improve the integrity of your roof, siding, foundation, etc. See a random website like this one: https://www.hometips.com/how-it-work...s-hangers.html

This reminds me that I need to fix my downspouts before this winter. I have a few that don't extend away from my foundation, which is an important design consideration. Like gutters and downspouts, extensions can be picked up from your local hardware store or taken care of by professionals.
Do you mean I need a second one, in which location?

I think you referring to my neighbors roof.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Cost to replace windows and fix up siding?-screen-shot-2019-09-04-9.16.09  

Last edited by skubaman; 09-04-2019 at 10:28 AM..

Old 09-04-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
For SF that doesn't really seem that high...

However, the only way you'll know for sure is to get at least 3 bids and make an educated decision based on the information before you.

And just to point out a few things- the siding looks to be beyond "repair". It appears to be old 3/4 T&G. I'd replace it with a fiber-cement lap siding. Also, the roll-roofing was installed up-over the sills of the windows (and the siding)- big No-No! So, if you're replacing the entire window unit there definitely needs to be a pan installed; and flash the new window unit correctly.
The roll roof is my neighbor's. I didn't knew they had installed this way. So now that I need to do siding work, what should I tell my neighbors? That their roof should end at my siding? I think I will ask them to discuss with their roofer.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House