Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 01:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I could imagine a serpentine filter doing that. There are also downdraft units that are in center islands and I doubt oily air gets let out to the outside of your home.
Once and never again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 04:30 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,311,516 times
No. All my range hood does is blow all the grease onto my white cabinets and my ceiling. I never turn it on.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:34 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
No. All my range hood does is blow all the grease onto my white cabinets and my ceiling. I never turn it on.
Do you have a regular range hood or the over-the-range microwave?

I am in a building with a tiny, windowless kitchen. I have an over-the-range microwave that blows onto my cabinets and ceiling and makes everything disgustingly filthy and greasy, even though we don't use it THAT often. I was curious as to whether or not this was completely normal or if it should be better than THAT.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:45 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,086,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Do you have a regular range hood or the over-the-range microwave?

I am in a building with a tiny, windowless kitchen. I have an over-the-range microwave that blows onto my cabinets and ceiling and makes everything disgustingly filthy and greasy, even though we don't use it THAT often. I was curious as to whether or not this was completely normal or if it should be better than THAT.

If it was designed to be an over the range microwave should not blow into the cupboards. Mine is actually mounted below the cabinet itself. The Range hood is below it but part of the assembly. The key to ventless exhaust hoods is regular cleaning of the filters both for clean air and to reduce fire hazards. If your microwave/rangehood is venting into the cupboards something is wrong.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:38 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,896 times
mine is the over the range micro and the exhaust blows out the front. it's pretty useless though so I mostly cook by boiling or steaming. I've an Instantpot that does a lot of cooking which I can take outside if I need to release the pressure. I cook greasy food outside since u dont want the cabinets and walls to get greasy and sticky from the cooking fumes.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:17 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,916,530 times
Some (all?) over the range microwaves can be used either with an external vent or without (air goes back to kitchen). Your choice how you install it. I installed with an external vent.

It helps reduce grease, etc. but anything short of a restaurant-grade hood is probably going to leave some grease in the kitchen.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:26 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Some (all?) over the range microwaves can be used either with an external vent or without (air goes back to kitchen). Your choice how you install it. I installed with an external vent.

It helps reduce grease, etc. but anything short of a restaurant-grade hood is probably going to leave some grease in the kitchen.
We have a Wolf range hood with a 1200 cfm fan mounted on the roof on top of a 10 inch duct. It can clear anything out of the kitchen. It would probably hold a small baby when turned up to max.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:29 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
NOPE, the level of smoke and other gunk from the stove/oven makes venting the only
truly effective solution.

Even a huge filter, that captures particulate-matter, grease and gases, would not come close to being as effective as venting.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:51 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,496,305 times
No, only way to eliminate odors is to vent them outside.....

Old 09-01-2019, 08:52 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
If it was designed to be an over the range microwave should not blow into the cupboards. Mine is actually mounted below the cabinet itself. The Range hood is below it but part of the assembly. The key to ventless exhaust hoods is regular cleaning of the filters both for clean air and to reduce fire hazards. If your microwave/rangehood is venting into the cupboards something is wrong.
I have to look into this further. I would not be shocked if something isn't installed correctly. The opening at the top is right at the cabinet so it blows up and makes it dirty. It is like this one: https://www.buzzrake.com/cat/kitchen...ven/ERBFRX4ZEI

See the black lip at the top? That's where the air comes up and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House