Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 12:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,942,450 times

Advertisements

PI first used convection baking/roasting 20 years ago, and for me it was no big deal. I always used convection, and I seldom set the temps back 25 deg. My new LG convection oven is more complicated, giving me options!. But the oven manual does not cover stuff I like to do in the oven.

Bacon, for instance. Convection bake or convection roast? I am thinking Convection Bake. What do you think?

Sheet pan roasted veggies. Convection Roast or Convection Bake?

I read the descriptions of each program, but there is not enough info for me to decide. The manual deals with very narrow categories which are various kinds of meat and baked goods.

The only way to learn is to try stuff, but if you have any wisdom about the newer convection ovens, please impart some of it to me. Thanks in advance.

(Please do not post about how you never, ever use convection, as that info is not helpful, OK? I haven’t used convection myself for seven years. I am aware that you don’t absolutely need convection. But now that I’ve got it, I want to use it. After all, I paid for it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 03:33 PM

3,603 posts, read 9,017,748 times
I have an LG, I love the little song it plays when it's ready. I've had it for a couple years and haven't found a big difference between roast and bake but for the most part I use bake for cakes, pie, cookies, lasagna, quiche, casseroles... and roast for meat, veggies, bacon. You could try bacon on both settings and I don't think you would find there to be a difference. I've never used the pizza setting, I really should try it someday but I just put it on convection bake a 550 and go from there.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:51 AM

5,789 posts, read 6,837,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Bacon, for instance. Convection bake or convection roast? I am thinking Convection Bake.

I have always used Convection Bake in the oven and it turns out great, but I have never tried Roast.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:16 PM

1,371 posts, read 653,326 times
We do like Dogmomma.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:59 PM

Interesting!

I cooked center cut bacon on convection bake and the bacon turned out beautifully, but too chewy for my taste. Also, it took a long time to cook. I need to preheat before putting into the oven, and might need to use regular instead of convection.

I roasted veggies on Convection Roast, and they turned out OK. I need to refine the timing, but I think this has potential.

The first thing I tried was toast—more to get the hang of the controls than anything else. I think I’ll leave toast to my toaster oven though.

I have a turkey breast roast to try next week. And my first baking venture will be cornbread, which is something I’ve made many, many times. Looking forward to that!

Old 08-31-2019, 04:43 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,735,973 times
I have a LG. It's my first convection oven. I cook bacon on the regular bake setting. I cook rolls on convection bake, and bread in regular. I may not have the right pans for the convection oven, because the only time the convection setting seems to work is when something sticks up above the side of the baking sheet.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I have a LG. It's my first convection oven. I cook bacon on the regular bake setting. I cook rolls on convection bake, and bread in regular. I may not have the right pans for the convection oven, because the only time the convection setting seems to work is when something sticks up above the side of the baking sheet.
You don’t use the broiler pan for bacon?

Old 09-01-2019, 05:47 AM

2,126 posts, read 1,242,717 times
My convection oven preset "Roast" starting at 350C and "Bake" at 325C. It allows me to adjust the temperature higher or lower. I use "Bake" for bacon, so as not to burn it.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:49 PM

32,502 posts, read 47,478,646 times
I don't use the oven for bacon so I have no suggestions about that.

My oven does both convection and traditional. My best suggestion is to try it both ways and see which way you prefer. It's only one batch and it won't be ruined. Just maybe one way is slightly better than the other. It won't be much better.

I like the convection for things that I want crisp, like french fries and pizza. For baked goods I find that convection is best for some things and traditional is better for other things.

My convection offers the choice between bake and roast. The bake also says multi-rack, so I wonder if the difference is the speed of the fan? I always just press the bake button and everything comes out great. But I roast using he traditional oven setting (non-convection) so I don't know if the roast convection setting does any different.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:44 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,735,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You don’t use the broiler pan for bacon?
No, just a regular half-sheet pan lined with foil. 400 degrees for 12 min for thin sliced bacon. We don't like it super crispy, just cooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House