Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 12:30 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times

Advertisements

You can replace a glass top, but it is very expensive. You can buy a used stove for a lot less money.

I suggest that you scrape it with one of those razor blade window decal removers. That will take care of a lot of that mess.

I don't put glass top stoves into rentals. They are hard to keep clean, easy to chip or break, and expensive to repair,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 12:33 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Those front burners have had wet pans set on them and when you cook on a glass top, every drop of food that spills gets baked on into a hard glaze that is difficult to remove. Your tenants haven't been cleaning as they go.

That white might come off if soaked with white vinegar and the rest of the dark crud can be scraped off with a razor blade.

I had a house for myself with a glass top stove and I hated it.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:50 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Most of that can probably be scraped off and then you can use a glass top cleaner to try to remove the rest. There's a kit available at Walmart that has the scraper and the cleaner.

I like my glass top stove but it's more work to care for than the old coil top style.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:34 PM
KCZ

4,665 posts, read 3,660,797 times
If the stove is only a couple of years old, you should be able to get the top from a parts place, and I'd take the cost out of the tenant's security deposit, because that damage is not normal wear and tear, it's from misuse and neglect. I had a glass top stove, used it frequently, and it looked brand new when I gave it to a family member after 15 years.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:29 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,384 times
Is it Sears Kenmore? they sell it online for $86.

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/pro...iABEgKIAvD_BwE

Old 09-02-2019, 07:43 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Scrape off what you can with a razor blade, then spray it with Easy-Off. Let it sit for a bit, then wipe off with sponge saturated with hot water. Scrubbing Bubbles shower cleaner can sometimes work too.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:30 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Tenant left stove in this condition. I tried but cannot scrub it clean. Can the top be replaced? The rest of the oven is in pretty OK condition. Stove is only 2 year old if I remember correctly.

What kind of use can lead to stove top being in this condition?
Have you tried Barkeepers Friend? You might also try a mix of baking soda and vinegar getting the foaming action and leave it on. Otherwise, yes I believe you can order a new top. Look up your model number online for a parts manual then locate the part number for the top to see if it is worth fixing the top or just getting a new stove. What kind of use does this? Not cleaning up spills and then letting them bake on. I hope you kept the security deposit for this damage.

A razor blade will get off those black circles. Be careful not to cut yourself or scratch the top. When the blade become dull replace it as dull blades will scratch.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:42 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Have you tried Barkeepers Friend? You might also try a mix of baking soda and vinegar getting the foaming action and leave it on. Otherwise, yes I believe you can order a new top. Look up your model number online for a parts manual then locate the part number for the top to see if it is worth fixing the top or just getting a new stove. What kind of use does this? Not cleaning up spills and then letting them bake on. I hope you kept the security deposit for this damage.

A razor blade will get off those black circles. Be careful not to cut yourself or scratch the top. When the blade become dull replace it as dull blades will scratch.
Barkeeper's Friend followed by Weiman glass top cleaner (it's a cream). You may have to use the latter more than once.

You will have to leave both sit for a bit to soak into the mess. Make absolutely sure the scrubbing pad you use is non-scratch. As mentioned, a razor blade will help with the scraping.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 09-02-2019 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: corrected word

Old 09-02-2019, 10:53 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times
Another here who's been using glass-top stoves for the past ~15 years, I've *never* had one look even close to that bad.

The only way I've managed to damage one of these is to let sugar boil-over, it etches the glass (leaves potholes, for lack of a better way to describe it). The rest is just on the surface and can be scraped off with a razor blade with final cleaning done with Barkeepers Friend (an acid).

As for replacing, anything built can have parts replaced. Might be too costly in some cases, but it can Technically be done. Sometimes it's cheap enough and easy enough, just not very well documented. I'll second https://www.repairclinic.com/ for both info on how, and parts (though I Strongly advise searching further with the replacement part number, they are rarely the cheapest).

Old 09-04-2019, 05:32 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Calrods, baby! Cheap, work great, easty to replace. Line the cups under them with tinfoil and replace the tinfoil when needed.

Glass tops are for people who are fanatical neatniks and never actually cook on the stove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House