Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 11:07 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
banned? who has the right to ban people from using certain appliances? when exactly did people hand over control of their lives to some central organization that has so much power over what we do?
I just had a thought (imagine) .... those of us who live in gestappo HOA's should put up clotheslines in the back yard for kicks and giggles. And not use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 11:11 AM

19,754 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sure, you can get your clothes dry naturally even through a cold winter.
Just remember that you'll need more time for the clothes to dry, so hang as early in the day as you can and leave until late. If there's a breeze, you're in luck; agitation speeds up the process. Avoid hanging on damp, grey days when the moisturize that needs to evaporate from the clothing has nowhere to go.
So, check the weather - if it's sunny and breezy, you can air dry your clothes even in cold winter.
Yeah been there done that got the popsicle jeans to prove it. The only way to dry my clothes in winter, like after backpack snowshoeing is to have a black tarp OVER your wet/damp clothes.

I guess you’ve not experienced cold wind and wet clothes?

Old 09-09-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I know! And they don't have air conditioning (and all kinds of other stuff). I have a feeling they'd love to have both if practical for their home setup and utility budget.
What? My wife’s family is German and live there- they ALL have a/c and dryers, lol.

Jesus.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Well, I suppose it's a good thing some of you weren't around in the days before automatic dryers were invented. You would never have survived.
No- what people did (and some still do) is hang or rack their clothes in the basement where the old furnace is located. That’s what we did in WV when we had a wood stove in the unfinished basement.

Problem is, and it’s a good problem, modern furnaces generally don’t radiate heat, or the units are in small mechanical rooms or even in the attic making indoor ‘old time’ drying a thing of the past.

Me thinks some folks have some skewed sense of reality with this and more than likely never did any of this stuff to begin with.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
It doesn't really matter what you "buy" and it "doesn't sound right" that you get to decide what's in someone else's best interest by banning or regulating this or that.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.
WTH does liberalism have to do with any of this?

Old 09-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Who twisted your panties? Talk about a completely unnecessary response.

First, my comment was regarding the fact that you can indeed line dry clothing all year round, even in northern climates. I have an electric dryer that gets used hard, and couldn't care less who uses a dryer. Finally, there is a HUGE vehicle for hire network here that transports plain sect people all over the region and beyond. Including vacations all over North America. Some Amish folks own large passenger vans, and many others own heavy trucks for their businesses.
Honest to God... have you ever tried to use your fingers when it’s -10 and colder? Using clothespins with heavy gloves?

Seriously- Have you ever?

I went duck and goose hunting in -36. I could barely hold my shotgun. If it wasn’t for a ground blind and hand muffs I couldn’t do it all. You have MAYBE 5 minutes dexterity before you are worthless.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:47 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,897 times
No they shouldn't be banned, but perhaps people should educated on the benefits on hang drying their clothes. Such benefits include energy savings, lowers the risk of dryer fires, and extends the life the items to be dried.

However, dryers serve a purpose in expediency (not many people have 2-10 hours to wait for their items to dry) and not every lives in warm and dry climates. Can you imagine how long it would take to dry your clothes in a wet and cold climate?

As for energy usage, it takes about 3kWh to dry 3 loads of clothes from my washer (most dryers are significantly larger than their washing machine counterparts). 3kWh is enough energy to:

drive a Tesla Model S about 9 miles
drive a Fiat 500e about 13 miles
run a 5-ton AC compressor for 45 minutes
run a space heater for about 2.5 hrs.

It's not a huge deal. I'm sure you have lobbyists from Whirlpool, Maytag, Samsung, and LG a good laugh.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:05 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
I didn't read all 8 pages. No, dryers shouldn't be banned. It's incredibly convenient. As long as they're willing to pay for their electric bill and the cost of a new machine, go right ahead.

My house came with a clothes line in the backyard, which I'm incredibly grateful for. I hang dry my clothes during the spring and summer, sometimes even fall, and use the dryer during the fall and winter. I've tried hang drying them in the winter and it took too long.

I'm glad to have my dryer because sometimes I need clothes ASAP, i.e. the next morning. Sometimes I realize at 9 PM that I need a shirt that's in the hamper, so I can scramble and wash a load at 9 PM and have the shirt dry by the next morning.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:10 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
By all means! We could cook with wood!!!!! THAT would clean things up good and proper! All natural!

Ban airplanes too. And internal combustion engines. And oil and gas and coal and nuke. The 1700s were a great time to live!

Just cut to the chase and ban Western Civilization, because ultimately that's what this is all about. Make the entire planet third-to-sixth world **** holes. It's progress, progress.
Just revert back to the stone ages before electricity was discovered. That was the closest life to nature.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:22 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

What do you think? Should they be banned for home use?
Banned because of the opinion of some? Seriously?

Only par for the course I guess. What will they ban when there is nothing left to ban?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House