Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 04:18 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Anybody here have a heat pump dryer? Do they really take 3-4 hours a load? I have been shopping for one. They are hard to find.

The salespeople tell me to just get a gas dryer because they don't get as hot as electric.

My laundry room is in the middle of the house. The dryer vent runs through the floor joist between the up and downstairs. I can feel the heat when I walk across where the vent runs. I'm heating the house and running the HVAC at the same time.
This has a comparison chart: https://blog.yaleappliance.com/what-...at-pump-dryers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 07:19 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
I don’t care for stiff clothes that are covered in lint.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:25 PM

408 posts, read 259,759 times
Yes, hair dryers should be banned. You can dry your hair on the way to work.
You may drop them in a sink full of water.
What? Home dryer? Oh, that's different, never mind.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:37 PM

6,361 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Why legislate to ban dryers, just start with background checks before deciding on a ban..!

Old 09-09-2019, 08:37 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don’t care for stiff clothes that are covered in lint.
When I've dried things on a hanger or line, I tumble them in a dryer to remove stiffness and wrinkles.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:39 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I was struck by all the clotheslines in Europe, outside apt. windows or on balconies. Even in very rich areas.
I thought that was just in the movies But their washers are really tiny, in the kitchen often. Even a fancy hotel we stayed in, had drying racks on the balcony.

We didn't have a dryer for decades, but that was in dry-dry desert Utah. We had clotheslines all over the house and once a week, just ducked past the clothes/sheets. We were on solar, so it conserved power. It was too dirty/windy outside for a clothesline.

Now we have a dryer, being in a condo. Once a week is not going to break the bank. But we still hang several items we don't want to shrink---on the shower rail.

I do have fond memories of helping my mom hang clothes outside as a child. The great smell, for one thing.
We still have clotheslines in Sydney in both rich and poor areas. But we generally also have dryers. The idea that they could be banned is bizarre. Actually my dryer is about forty years old and I rarely dry clothes completely with it. But often to finish things off.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:18 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
I have a gas dryer.

Dumb argument.
I have solar power. Even dumber argument by OP lol. Drying things outside?! You’re joking, right?? What is this 1876?! Yeah let me get right on putting my clothes outside in a dusty desert like Las Vegas or maybe you’d prefer I have done that in Portland where it rains constantly?! Literally the stupidest thing I’ve heard in 2019 so far. Electricity is abundant, it makes no difference how much is “wasted,” there’s always more of it. It’s a renewable resource.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:38 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
And who is to do the "banning"? The government?

The government already has too much power. All we need are more freaked-out climate-change hysterical millennials who want to force their agenda on the rest of us by getting the government to enforce more bans and regulations. UGH.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:05 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
True, that what I do in rainy days BUT moving clothes from washer to
dryer takes 5 second vs hanging them on a line which would take 10 -15 min. Most people are too busy for that, or too tired,

I hang every shirt I have on a hanger instead of folding, that includes t-shirts. It's actually quicker.

Jeans, bedding and towels I may partly dry and hang. The jeans never dry fast enough inside before getting moldy smell.

Underwear and socks get dried fully, then i scoop them out of dryer and throw them into a drawer all jumbled up. LOL

Quick tip, if you put a dry towel into the dryer it will help pull the moisture out of wet clothes. Running the dryer on lower heat for longer time will save energy costs but will increase wear and tear.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Ban central heating in the North and wait for a civil war! I mean, let's go back to fireplaces or space heaters. Why not?

I love air drying clothes. I live in Texas and we have abundant sunshine most of the year and it rarely gets below freezing. So it's easy for me to say "hang clothes out on the line." But I realize it's more challenging in other regions, especially if it rains a lot or gets below freezing a lot (or both).

Our HOA bans clothes lines but I get around that easily. 1) I have a retractable clothes line which they can't even see, and I use that for items like sheets, 2) I hang clothing items like pants and shirts on hangers and hang them from my outdoor umbrellas, looking like a hillbilly, and 3) I have a little drying rack for small stuff like socks and underwear.

I love the way items dried in the sun smell and feel afterward.

But I prefer some things to be dried in the dryer no matter what - like towels for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House