Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 05:40 AM

6,359 posts, read 4,179,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
And who is to do the "banning"? The government?

The government already has too much power. All we need are more freaked-out climate-change hysterical millennials who want to force their agenda on the rest of us by getting the government to enforce more bans and regulations. UGH.
There’s no wonder why we have such a divide in opinions today since an ever increasing amount of people here want things banned, controlled and more regulations. It’s more about common sense when using electricity or any other resource that we have, it’s an individual responsibility to conserve or waste but guess that some people don’t see it that way❗️
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 05:50 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.
Please I want to see the UTube video of you hand washing clothes and linens for a family of four and hanging it all over the house. Start withe diapers please.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:16 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Please I want to see the UTube video of you hand washing clothes and linens for a family of four and hanging it all over the house. Start withe diapers please.
Haven't you heard? Do as I say, not as I do!!!!

Old 09-10-2019, 06:37 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,072,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Thanks for the link. it was informative. Especially the chart.

Perhaps the reason I'm having trouble is not many are sold here. The salesmen have no reason to be informed.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:00 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
I heard a good discussion today about how some people don't use dryers because they are a waste of electricity. They say that hanging their clothes dries almost as fast sometimes.

This made sense. I usually will take out shirts and pants before they are done drying to eliminate wrinkles. But the smaller items don't even require that much care. I will literally have to keep setting a dryer for extended periods just to finish drying some socks. But isn't this kind of a waste of electricity? Especially if they can get dry just as fast by hanging?

What do you think? Should they be banned for home use?
I have to assume that you are joking.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:19 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,429,348 times
Quote:

Yes and they should ban clothes washers, too. Terrible waste of water.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:42 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
Quote:
I heard a good discussion today about how some people don't use dryers because they are a waste of electricity. They say that hanging their clothes dries almost as fast sometimes.

This made sense. I usually will take out shirts and pants before they are done drying to eliminate wrinkles. But the smaller items don't even require that much care. I will literally have to keep setting a dryer for extended periods just to finish drying some socks. But isn't this kind of a waste of electricity? Especially if they can get dry just as fast by hanging?

Really.....that is one of the dumbest questions I have seen on here yet.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:46 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,250,309 times
The power company bills you on Watt hours. This is the energy that you used and its power * time or watts times time. For example, a 100 watt appliance that is on for 10 hours will consume 1000 watt hours (or 1KWH). But a 10 watt device that is on for 100 hours will also consume the same 1000 watt hours. So you have to not only consider the power an appliance uses but also how long it is on.

I did a quick google search for how much power home appliances use and found this calculator.

https://www.wholesalesolar.com/solar...oad-evaluation

Ran some numbers in that calculator where I had to enter the number of devices and the hours used.

I guesed that a clothes dryer only gets used about 1/2 hour per day on average. Even though the clothes dyer is much higher power than a fridge, the fridge is on 24 hours a day so they end up using about the same energy per day.

And for the numbers I picked, switching from incandescent lights to LED lights saves about the same power that using the dryer for 1/2 hour a day uses.

The real power hog is air conditioning.

Attached Thumbnails
Should home dryers be banned?-energy_use.jpg  

Old 09-10-2019, 08:18 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,250,309 times
Also .

You "could" use the heat from the dryer to heat the house in the winter.

I say "could" because its somewhat difficult to find some sort of filter for the exhaust air that removes the lint if the hot air is kept inside the house. I tried to find something at HD in the past and the only thing I found was some some flimsy plastic thing that held water.. didnt work very well. Plus its a hassle to switch between venting outside and venting into a filter for inside.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:31 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Ban clothing dryers? - Is this another brilliant idea out of CA?
I know it's fashionable to blame California for every harebrained idea, but most people in California have gas dryers, and they use very little energy. I live there and have never had an electric dryer in my life.

I hang a lot of clothes outside on racks. We're not supposed to have clotheslines visible from the street, but yards here are fenced, and it's not hard to work around; just get racks under 6 feet tall. I do put towels, sheets, and a few other things in the dryer, though. I like to make use of the fresh air and sun, but I'm even more glad to have options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House