Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 10:28 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That’s why I use the Thayer’s witch hazel. It doesn’t seem to affect the tp as quickly as water. Can be stored on the back of the tank.
I’ll try that. I use witch hazel as an astringent already. When we bought our home, I bought a $250 bidet with heated seat, warm air dryer, etc....without even thinking to see if there was an outlet near the toilet. It’s still in the box but one day hopefully we can get it done and I can have my luxury seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 10:36 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Spend the $300-$800 and get a washlet seat installed. It will pay for itself in a year or two on the savings from toilet paper and wipes.
After you've used one of these you will be amazed.. and both your body and the sewage system will be better for it.
After a fascinating visit I decided that Japan was the cleanest nation on earth.
They are in second place as well.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:35 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’ll try that. I use witch hazel as an astringent already. When we bought our home, I bought a $250 bidet with heated seat, warm air dryer, etc....without even thinking to see if there was an outlet near the toilet. It’s still in the box but one day hopefully we can get it done and I can have my luxury seat.
If your witch hazel has alcohol it might irritate sensitive tissue after a while, although that is the home remedy for hemorrhoids. Thayers is non alcohol and does come in scents, like rose or lavender.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:49 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
You know, just using toilet paper in the time honored way, then washing your hands in soap and water is plenty sufficient for control of bacteria.

All that other stuff is just to make people feel better who believe their natural bodily functions are "dirty".

Personally, I'm way too old and tired to make up any additional ways to waste time and effort; I use toilet paper in the traditional way and wash my hands after.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You know, just using toilet paper in the time honored way, then washing your hands in soap and water is plenty sufficient for control of bacteria.

All that other stuff is just to make people feel better who believe their natural bodily functions are "dirty".

Personally, I'm way too old and tired to make up any additional ways to waste time and effort; I use toilet paper in the traditional way and wash my hands after.
I just like to feel clean.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:30 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I just like to feel clean.
But that's the POINT! You ARE essentially clean if you use the "old fashioned" method. You have been manipulated into believing you can't ever get clean enough by others who want to sell you stuff.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-19-2019 at 01:39 PM..

Old 09-19-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
But that's the POINT! You ARE essentially clean if you use the "old fashioned" method. You have been manipulated into believing you can't ever get clean enough by others who want to sell you stuff.
It’s not due to being brainwashed at all. We are one of the few first world countries that don't use bidets, and they’ve been in use long before mass marketing. I simply like feeling fresher.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:48 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
I uses them once in a while when I have problems. Please don't ask me to explain.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:54 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well, actually it doesn't, always.
Compared to using newpapers and leaves and such things, which is what was done before toilet paper was invented (which was not over 150 years ago), I think it works wonderfully! : )

Quote:
Those other things may make you cleaner. In general, there is a vast lack of knowledge of history (not to say specifically here on this board for those who love to argue). I have the impression that a good percentage of people assume their way of living will continue on and on into an indefinite future when, however, there is a definitive end to this civilization, as there has been for the thousands of civilizations previous to this. Many people laugh at this idea and take the world, as they know it, for granted. I feel it just shows a sense of foolishness and lack of a sense of reality.

I prefer to keep in touch with the "natural" world as the inventions of the current (and past) civilization(s) endeavor (and for good reason!) to get as furthest away from it as possible (indoor plumbing, antibiotics, easy/non-messy heat and A/C are AWESOME!!!). Yet it is practical and wise to keep in mind that when all this goes away, all you have is you, the dirt and whatever vegetative environment you may find yourself in. I find it good for me to not have these things as foreign to me as possible.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 09-20-2019 at 04:16 AM..

Old 09-20-2019, 05:39 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I don’t, and after reading this I hope nobody else does. For the record, my used wipes go into the trash.

https://coloradosun.com/2019/09/11/c...-wipes-crisis/
No, I throw them in the trash. The only thing I flush is toilet paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House